Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > iCUE Software

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2018, 05:43 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 979520
DevBiker Reputation: 83

<sigh>

As I've said, I fundamentally agree that this should be a feature. And Corsair has said that "hardware lighting" is coming at some point (just not exactly when). They can't simply drop everything to change a feature when the system - fundamentally - works as intended. So ... it gets prioritized along with everything else, scheduled and planned based on available resources, time to implement, risk of implementation, and business priorities. That's Project Management 101.

And now, Corsair has released a cooler that has "hardware lighting" as a feature - you have a lighting profile for when the workstation is locked/etc. But I'm guessing that y'all missed that. Take that as you will but it seems to me that this feature may be coming sooner than you think.

As for the feedback - it's been heard. It was also provided long before Piplos decided to go on his juvenile rants. But these things take time. Believe it or not, development is more than just waving a magic wand over a monitor. Crazy, I know, but it's true.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 11-08-2018, 05:45 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 979522

Quote:
Originally Posted by natefrog View Post
Why not just do a hotfix to allow the user to change the default to "Off" instead of "Rainbow" while you work on the permanent fix of translating code? Off can't be that hard to implement can it?
Ya know, I've been writing code for some 25 years.

I hate hearing this from users because, invariably, it's harder than they think to get it right.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 11-08-2018, 05:48 PM
natefrog's PC Specs

POST ID # = 979525
natefrog Reputation: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotty View Post
Members: 195,111 in total..

you have 21 people in your list lol... (0.01% of the member base)

must mean the other 195,090 members are Fan Boys (or Girls) lol. (99.98% of the member base)
You have heard the term silent majority haven't you. I guarantee you that if a poll was taken of every user of iCUE on Corsair lighting products the mast majority would say they would prefer to keep their custom profile instead of the default rainbow during times iCUE is not running. I'm also fairly certain you would prefer this as well because who wouldn't. I don't understand why you feel the need to attack someone with a legitimate complaint that many others have.

Corsair may be your favorite company in the world, but that doesn't change the fact that this is an issue that bothers allot of people. You are only seeing the hotheads that will take the time out of their live (such as me) to actively complain about it. The vast majority will just stay silent, deal with it, and just not buy Corsair again (I have that in common with the silent folks). This is very bad for Corsair losing customers like this and they should be very concerned about it.

Last edited by Technobeard; 11-08-2018 at 06:00 PM. Reason: removed personal comment
Old 11-08-2018, 05:49 PM
Piplos's PC Specs

POST ID # = 979526
Piplos Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarity View Post
software development is not an easy thing to do, especially in an open and diverse hardware environment like the PC
See? You're absolutely right! And this is exactly the reason of why it's not a good idea to simply put some random unskilled people to do this complicated job for little money. I know Corsair is acting this way.

Quote:
Also add me to the list. I've only had this setup for 3 days and it infuriates me that I spent 100s of dollars for customized lighting to have it go full rainbow disco when my monitor enters power savings mode. If anything the default should be RGBs off and then there would not be this issue.

My fix is I have turned off monitor power savings mode in Windows and I am manually pressing the power button on my monitor now. I shouldn't have to do that.
This should not be an acceptable fix for anyone. I need to lock my pc while I'm away. I have a Bitlocker full disk encryption enabled like every brained people would do, and it would be insane to leave it unlocked when I'm not on my PC. It sounds like having alarms in your house but leaving the house door open while you're away at the market.

Thanks, I've added you to the list.

Anyway I'm doing my part by discouraging everyone to buy Corsair product and to get others instead. All the people here know me and listen to me.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:00 PM
natefrog's PC Specs

POST ID # = 979529

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBiker View Post
Ya know, I've been writing code for some 25 years.

I hate hearing this from users because, invariably, it's harder than they think to get it right.
And you are making it sound like coding for "off" is the hardest thing in the world. Just update the firmware of the LNP (and other products) to cut power to the LEDs as default if other instructions are not received. How hard is that really?
Old 11-08-2018, 06:02 PM
Bearded Corsair Employee

POST ID # = 979530
Technobeard Reputation: 68

Please stay on topic and don't assume things about other forum members, thanks.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:05 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 979533

Quote:
And you are making it sound like coding for "off" is the hardest thing in the world. Just update the firmware of the LNP (and other products) to cut power to the LEDs as default if other instructions are not received. How hard is that really?
Have you ever coded firmware?

Old 11-08-2018, 06:08 PM
natefrog's PC Specs

POST ID # = 979534

While I am very angry about this issue and it completely ruins my experience with the product I must commend Corsair for allowing us to have this discussion on their forum. I have been on other forums where the company would have taken down a thread like this in a heartbeat. So for this, Corsair, you have my respect. Now please fix this one glaring issue in an otherwise stellar product as soon as you can. Thank you.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:11 PM
natefrog's PC Specs

POST ID # = 979536

Quote:
Have you ever coded firmware?
As a matter of a fact yes, I am an IT professional for the last 22 years. Don't assume things about people. I know for a fact 'off' is one of the easiest functions to code. It would only be made difficult if your existing code makes it so. Since I don't know the existing code I can't speak on how difficult it would be in this instance, but it shouldn't be hard to do IF the existing code was designed well.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:17 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 979539

Quote:
As a matter of a fact yes, I am an IT professional for the last 22 years. Don't assume things about people. I know for a fact 'off' is one of the easiest functions to code. It would only be made difficult if your existing code makes it so. Since I don't know the existing code I can't speak on how difficult it would be in this instance, but it shouldn't be hard to do IF the existing code was designed well.
So ... if you actually code for a living, then can you not attest to the frustration when a user thinks something is "easy" when it isn't?

And how there are often competing demands on limited development resources requiring prioritization and, sometimes, deferral of things that may "seem" easy but are lower priority? Or run a high risk of regression bugs (as any change to firmware would)?

Or has that never happened on any of your projects?

Old 11-08-2018, 06:18 PM
iCue βeta Team
Zotty's PC Specs

POST ID # = 979541
Zotty Reputation: 52

Quote:
While I am very angry about this issue and it completely ruins my experience with the product I must commend Corsair for allowing us to have this discussion on their forum. I have been on other forums where the company would have taken down a thread like this in a heartbeat. So for this, Corsair, you have my respect. Now please fix this one glaring issue in an otherwise stellar product as soon as you can. Thank you.
That's better,,,, it's nice to be nice dude.. if you guys approach this in an orderly fashion, things will get sorted... and prob sooner than most think!..

CorsairJames has taken a virtual beating on here from Piplos and the like.. as has his dev team.. now i am lucky enough to be on the iCue Beta test team.. i get to see a daily snapshot of whats going on..

1.. james does not sleep!.. honest dude.. He is at iCue at least 18 hrs a day at minimum...
2 GreyBeard, Same. that guy works real hard.. i see the hours that's put in... they need to be praised not abused..
3 talk with them.. engage.. reach out.. its what Corsair does.. and does it well. they do listen.

as you know your self, there is only so many times you can let someone shout the same thing at you before you have to switch off and crack on with everything else... dont be that guy ;)...

oh.. and number 4... Welcome aboard dude.... its a nice little community once you get to know the regulars :)

Last edited by Zotty; 11-08-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:26 PM
natefrog's PC Specs

POST ID # = 979543

Quote:
So ... if you actually code for a living, then can you not attest to the frustration when a user thinks something is "easy" when it isn't?

And how there are often competing demands on limited development resources requiring prioritization and, sometimes, deferral of things that may "seem" easy but are lower priority? Or run a high risk of regression bugs (as any change to firmware would)?

Or has that never happened on any of your projects?
Completely with you on all of that. However, this is something that EVERY user of the product will experience and find find frustrating to varying levels. While not a high priority bug, it is a high priority customer retention item. I don't do coding at work anymore as I now manage a team so I have to consider things like this. Things that seem a priority to us aren't always what is a priority to customers. High visibility issues like this that quickly spread over YouTube and the like can kill a product before it gets off it's feet even if they're not as serious as a security flaw or something that we would consider a higher priority. Like I said every single person that uses this product will experience this issue and some may not care, some it may infuriate (like me), and some will just deal with it and never buy Corsair again.

I see you're a beta tester and I know even as a tester you put allot of work on a product and feel an attachment to it and defensive about it, but this is a big deal. I've been digging through stuff for 3 days trying to figure out a fix and I've come across review after review mentioning this issue. I think it is a bigger issue than folks realize and is turning customers off to the product.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:51 AM
βetα Nayn Cat

POST ID # = 979579
Inheritance Reputation: 41

Quote:
I see you're a beta tester and I know even as a tester you put allot of work on a product and feel an attachment to it and defensive about it, but this is a big deal. I've been digging through stuff for 3 days trying to figure out a fix and I've come across review after review mentioning this issue. I think it is a bigger issue than folks realize and is turning customers off to the product.
It is a highly requested feature for sure. But there is a difference between being attached to a company and the products and having to listen to someone on the internet threaten to return their stuff and then demand a full refund after a few months like their the king of the world. Not saying you have said anything like this but the idea is if you don't like it return it. Right. You get your money back and the seller and manufacturer lose.

There have been cases in the past where users have demanded a feature and to rush it out it was slapped together and in the end, it wasn't a great experience for anyone. The folks at Corsair are aware of the demand and it's not something they are ignoring.

Quote:
I haven't seen the code either but yea Off shouldn't be that difficult. A few years back Corsair wasn't the giant it is today. Wouldnt surprise me if the code isn't the most optimal and easy to work with. Writing lighting FW for this many devices and fans is not a one day project, I'm sure you get that.
Corsair USER Forums is NOT Corsair Tech Support

Last edited by Inheritance; 11-09-2018 at 12:58 AM.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:41 AM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 979585

Quote:
Completely with you on all of that. However, this is something that EVERY user of the product will experience and find find frustrating to varying levels. While not a high priority bug, it is a high priority customer retention item. I don't do coding at work anymore as I now manage a team so I have to consider things like this. Things that seem a priority to us aren't always what is a priority to customers. High visibility issues like this that quickly spread over YouTube and the like can kill a product before it gets off it's feet even if they're not as serious as a security flaw or something that we would consider a higher priority. Like I said every single person that uses this product will experience this issue and some may not care, some it may infuriate (like me), and some will just deal with it and never buy Corsair again.
Ah, OK, you're a manager. So you should totally get what I'm fixin' to say.

Given unlimited time, money and resources, all things are possible, right? As I'm sure that you are aware, there's no such thing as a project with any one of those three items in unlimited supply. So ... there are constraints.

Now ... iCue has been released out into the wild for not quite six months. So it's not been that long, in the grand scheme of things. They do pretty much a monthly release cadence - I'm sure that you are aware of the resources that are involved with any RTW of a new version. Now, in that time, there are also additional business priorities for new products (big bosses can't have product launches delayed because the software isn't ready), bug fixes and new features that are already on the drawing board. And some of these bugs are performance related, some are flat-out crashes (these happen, as I'm sure you know), and some are just - well, it doesn't work. New features can certainly be rescheduled but bug fixes - especially things around performance and crashes - have to be priority. And at least one of these bugs that has consumed quite a bit of time is really hard to repro and only happens to specific users with specific configurations. But it's really, really, really bad so that bumps up the priority. There's also the number of users affected that determines the severity and prioritization. Something that affects every user is a higher priority than something that only affects a subset of users.

Add to this that you have a code base dating back at least 2 years and that it's the unification of two completely different software packages (Link and iCue) from two different teams that used to be, perhaps, competitors. How competitive they were, I can't say ... but they were different sides of the house. Those two teams had to be brought together (while continuing to support the final versions of the previous products for a couple of months) and, undoubtedly, there's some friction there.

In those last six months, keep in mind that new product is still coming out. We've had new keyboards, new cases, new coolers, new RAM ... all requiring iCue support, some even requiring customized firmware. Plus new products on the horizon that need to be planned now and even started now to ensure that the software is there when it's time for them to release.

And the same guy that manages the dev team has to manage the rabble that is the Beta team. And we are quite the rabble, to be sure.

This is in six months. I know it seems like a lifetime in IT but, in reality, it isn't. If you look at the big picture and what's been accomplished, it's actually pretty impressive (IMHO). Sure, it was in planning and work was being done before then but that was also second to support and functionality for Link and CUE, the predecessors to iCue. It's actually been less time that the new, combined team has been able to singularly focus on iCue.

As for firmware - just having an off switch won't satisfy everyone. That may be your pet request but others would say that sucks as much as the unicorn barf mode. And ... firmware for new product still has to be done (which would also require this new functionality ... the Obsidian 1000D Commander Pro and the SPEC-OMEGA RGB Lighting Node Pro are both customized firmware specific to those cases) AND firmware for the PRO series coolers needs to be done AND the firmware and even the MCU for the Commander Pro and the Lighting Node Pro are different. So ... it's not just setting an "OFF" switch.

So ... as an IT manager, perhaps you have a touch of experience and perspective. As I'm sure you are well aware, what the users think is "simple enough to do" rarely ever is.

Quote:
It's a big issue to some users, sure. And, as I've stated multiple times that you seem to ignore, it bugs me too. In fact, it was one of the first pieces of feedback that I gave when I came onto the beta team before iCue was even released and LONG before this thread was created. I even had long, late night discussions about it. I also have a quite long laundry list of suggestions, comments and bugs that I keep in Excel. And ... I also have a bit of insight behind the curtain and I understand why it's not the first priority on the list. The hard drive clicking was a bigger issue. The CPU usage in one of the releases was a bigger issue. Some of the crashes were bigger issues. Saving to device for some coolers was a bigger issue. The disappearing CoPro performance tab was a bigger issue. Other flat-out bugs were bigger issues. But it is on the list.

And note ... again, as I pointed out earlier ... that the first "DIY" (Inside-The-Box) device that came out since the team was fully combined and dedicated to iCue has hardware support for lighting modes. So that feedback has been heard. Of course, it's always easier to introduce net-new functionality in net-new code, right?

Last edited by DevBiker; 11-09-2018 at 01:47 AM.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:18 AM
Hagbard Celine's PC Specs

POST ID # = 979614
Hagbard Celine Reputation: 10
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybeard View Post
I am not even sure if I want to respond to your smart phone analogy... its a bit off since computer parts functions way differently from a smart phone.

But I will address your # users that are not happy with this default rainbow effect. CORSAIR has been known to listen to their customers for many years now. We've proven that in the last decade by releasing multiple product lines that are based on our customer's suggestions. We do value our customer's feedback whether it's positive or negative, we all take them into consideration and evaluate them for future implementation. So to be fair, you've got a valid point on this particular topic and like what I said on my previous post, I will pass this along to the right personnel so they can go over it and decide whether this feature will stay or not. Knowing how the process works, the team will have to evaluate this and determine if changing this feature will benefit the product or not. We'll just have to wait and see in the future if it's staying or not,

And I wouldn't call it a "bug" either, because it doesn't really cause any problems to any of the components when the rainbow effect kicks in. Saying that it is a bug or an issue is a bit of a stretch, a bit misleading if you ask me. I would call it a bug myself if It's a indeed a bug. But in this case.
I just want to add my 2cent about the smart-phone-analogy; I'm using my K95 RGB on a laptop. Being a laptop it has one thing in common with a smartphone, it has a battery; and blinking lights drains batteries.

Last edited by Hagbard Celine; 11-09-2018 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Spelling