The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > iCUE Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #31  
Old 08-28-2018, 12:27 AM
DevBiker's Avatar
DevBiker DevBiker is offline
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 6,105
POST ID # = 970521
DevBiker Reputation: 83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuz View Post
I never said i wanted to sue Corsair, but UK advertising laws are very different from the US and omitting key information is a bad false information, over here anyway
By intimating that it's false advertising, you are making a legal accusation. My point is that Corsair's position is defensible in US courts ... and likely in the UK as well. Much of law revolves around the precise definition of terms, something that most humans are very loose with in conversation. Don't make such an accusation unless you are absolutely sure that it will hold up. If you aren't an attorney (or barrister), then don't do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuz View Post
I'm happy we are on the same page, and i'm glad fan curves are important enough to save to the hardware,
From an functionality perspective, we are.

I will also tell you that Corsair is one of the very few hardware companies that really, truly listens to their users and takes the feedback to heart. How many hardware companies have user forums? (Very few, sadly) And, of those companies, how many of them have actual employees that are responsible for defining the products reading and responding on those forums? (Far, far fewer ... most hardware companies seem to view forums as a place to let end users play without any direct engagement.)

Neither of those statements describe Corsair. The PMs for their products read - and sometimes respond to - these forums. They directly and actively engage with their community of users. For me, that is what sets Corsair apart from the rest of the vendors in this space and what has earned then (what some might call rabid) my loyalty. And they do actually take the feedback and roll it into future versions. It's not always as quickly as we'd like to see but that's because they have priorities and schedules and limited resources that all have to be balanced. As someone that's done development for some 25 years, I totally understand the difficulties of balancing those things. They also have a group of (volunteer) end users that they directly work with to provide feedback - the community Beta team - that I am truly honored and priveleged to be a part of. And, to be really honest, there are very few feature suggestions on the forum that we've not already provided.

TLDR: Feedback is actually welcomed by Corsair but keep the accusations balanced, m'Kay? Hyperbole doesn't help. And Corsair does actually listen and take feedback to heart.
__________________
Please click "Edit System Specs" and fill out your system info.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-28-2018, 06:30 AM
Piplos Piplos is offline
Registered User
Piplos's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 81
POST ID # = 970537
Piplos Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybeard View Post
But I will address your # users that are not happy with this default rainbow effect. CORSAIR has been known to listen to their customers for many years now. We've proven that in the last decade by releasing multiple product lines that are based on our customer's suggestions. We do value our customer's feedback whether it's positive or negative, we all take them into consideration and evaluate them for future implementation. So to be fair, you've got a valid point on this particular topic and like what I said on my previous post, I will pass this along to the right personnel so they can go over it and decide whether this feature will stay or not. Knowing how the process works, the team will have to evaluate this and determine if changing this feature will benefit the product or not. We'll just have to wait and see in the future if it's staying or not,
Thank you, please keep us updated on the issue.

In the meanwhile, I invite everybody to join the list of the complains, so we can show Corsair that this is a serious issue to be considered and fixed in the next releases of iCUE.

Moreover, if you want to further help in the issue, you can also send a support ticket right to Corsair. More info about this are on the first post of this thread.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-01-2018, 01:45 PM
lucascaju lucascaju is offline
Registered User
lucascaju's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 13
POST ID # = 971019
lucascaju Reputation: 10
Default

I am new to iCUE software but I also want to highlight some issues with the software and the products related to.

• I think that there are room to reduce CPU usage, since testing other applications such as CAM from NZXT consume considerably less. Even using no RGB products the service + iCUE consumes about 2-4%. I think the iCUE software (not the service) can reduce the CPU usage which would be a start to reducing the overall usage. I am programmer and I know that these things are hard to do, but I am hoping that this is possible.

• The default rainbow lightning is an issue, not a bug because it’s seems that this is intentional and programmed on this way. Nonetheless, I considered an issue mostly because it’s strange to me that corsair service is running on background, but the lightning profiles are only possible with iCUE running. It is the iCUE software that controls lightning and the service only for monitoring? Looking to the new WC series (I have h150i) they have “save static lightning to the device” feature, but this don’t work since without iCUE falls back to rainbow mode. I think that all manufactures must be aware that many people want to save their profiles on the hardware, in another words, onboard memory. Just a fun fact, to me is astounding that Razer Synapse drops onboard feature to some devices that actually works with version 2. To conclude I think to a least after Windows initialization the last profile could be running, which would solve the problem of locking the OS.

• On the matter of CPU usage, I notice that the Corsair Service is always writing on disk, which makes me remember that would be nice to have an option to disable hardware monitoring or at least reduce it. I am telling this because some users may not be interest on monitoring the CPU, RAM, disk etc., but only on lighting control or controlling the aspects of their devices. Personally, I use the corsair monitoring features, but some people don’t. I think that reducing the monitoring could also help on CPU usage, even addressing some complaints about hearing disk noises all the time.

• About version 3.6.109 I want to reinforce that I am also having issues with Windows not properly locking the device with the screen protector. Reading the forum, I saw some people complaining about this.

• Using CORSAIR LINK I had an option to check memory temperature on my Dominator Platinum, option that is missing on iCUE.

Last edited by lucascaju; 09-01-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-04-2018, 06:41 AM
Piplos Piplos is offline
Registered User
Piplos's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 81
POST ID # = 971399
Piplos Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucascaju View Post
I am new to iCUE software but I also want to highlight some issues with the software and the products related to.

• I think that there are room to reduce CPU usage, since testing other applications such as CAM from NZXT consume considerably less. Even using no RGB products the service + iCUE consumes about 2-4%. I think the iCUE software (not the service) can reduce the CPU usage which would be a start to reducing the overall usage. I am programmer and I know that these things are hard to do, but I am hoping that this is possible.

• The default rainbow lightning is an issue, not a bug because it’s seems that this is intentional and programmed on this way. Nonetheless, I considered an issue mostly because it’s strange to me that corsair service is running on background, but the lightning profiles are only possible with iCUE running. It is the iCUE software that controls lightning and the service only for monitoring? Looking to the new WC series (I have h150i) they have “save static lightning to the device” feature, but this don’t work since without iCUE falls back to rainbow mode. I think that all manufactures must be aware that many people want to save their profiles on the hardware, in another words, onboard memory. Just a fun fact, to me is astounding that Razer Synapse drops onboard feature to some devices that actually works with version 2. To conclude I think to a least after Windows initialization the last profile could be running, which would solve the problem of locking the OS.

• On the matter of CPU usage, I notice that the Corsair Service is always writing on disk, which makes me remember that would be nice to have an option to disable hardware monitoring or at least reduce it. I am telling this because some users may not be interest on monitoring the CPU, RAM, disk etc., but only on lighting control or controlling the aspects of their devices. Personally, I use the corsair monitoring features, but some people don’t. I think that reducing the monitoring could also help on CPU usage, even addressing some complaints about hearing disk noises all the time.

• About version 3.6.109 I want to reinforce that I am also having issues with Windows not properly locking the device with the screen protector. Reading the forum, I saw some people complaining about this.

• Using CORSAIR LINK I had an option to check memory temperature on my Dominator Platinum, option that is missing on iCUE.
I completely agree with this post. Thanks, I've added you to the list.

Other manufacturers save the lighting profiles in their HW controller. Also Corsair has their own controllers like LNP or Commander Pro, but profiles appear not to be saved in them. WTF.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-04-2018, 07:53 PM
cc10101 cc10101 is offline
Registered User
cc10101's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 53
POST ID # = 971508
cc10101 Reputation: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piplos View Post
Why is there no "pause iCUE" setting somewhere? It would be really useful a thing which immediately put all devices to a "default profile" and stops all the iCUE processes and services to 0% CPU. I absolutely need this feature when I need to use CPU-intensive applications or games and I need to kick-out unneeded processes, but iCUE keeps restarting and when I finally manage to kick everything out a crappy distracting rainbow effect appears.

Also, there is still no "default profile" feature which kicks in when the computer is starting or is in a locked state. I'm really tired of that rainbow animation when iCUE is not connected to the LNP. When is this feature coming? In the very first versions of iCUE I remember all the leds were used to simply shut down and I preferred this behavior to the rainbow.

PLEASE. I'M REALLY SICK OF THE RAINBOW EFFECT.


[EDIT] I'm posting a quick list of users who also complained about the rainbow effect issue:
This can be called a bug or an usability problem, but this actually IS a serious issue and it can be seen that a lot of users are demanding for an appropriate fix.

Like I did, you can also try to help to solve the issue by opening a support ticket like this:
You can add me to the list of people who would like to be able to control what lighting effect(s) are in effect when the computer is locked, or booting up, etc.

Seems like this ought to be very easy for the iCUE devs to support. At the very least, it should default to whatever the user has currently running for all devices instead of just assuming we want to have the rainbow effect.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09-04-2018, 10:36 PM
JimmyRappit JimmyRappit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 18
POST ID # = 971535
JimmyRappit Reputation: 10
Default

count me in too
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 09-05-2018, 04:57 AM
Piplos Piplos is offline
Registered User
Piplos's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 81
POST ID # = 971562
Piplos Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc10101 View Post
You can add me to the list of people who would like to be able to control what lighting effect(s) are in effect when the computer is locked, or booting up, etc.

Seems like this ought to be very easy for the iCUE devs to support. At the very least, it should default to whatever the user has currently running for all devices instead of just assuming we want to have the rainbow effect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyRappit View Post
count me in too
Thank you for helping, I've added you to the list :)
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 09-05-2018, 12:37 PM
DemonRoxas DemonRoxas is offline
Registered User
DemonRoxas's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 16
POST ID # = 971617
DemonRoxas Reputation: 10
Default

While I don't HATE the rainbow effect (I even made a custom rainbow profile for shhs and giggles which I use sometimes), I still believe that it should be possible to customize the fans and LED strips to display a static color of choice when not connected to iCUE (just as I remember being possible in LINK, and just as it is still possible with the keyboards and mice and water pumps in iCUE). And no, this is not a bug. It's a flawed design choice at worst. I work in PC hardware retail and it's actually useful to be able to showcase all the RGB colors and patterns with this built-in demo mode without needing any hardware besides the case, fans, LED strips, and a shorted PSU. But for personal use, disabling the demo mode should really be an option. Even without the custom static color, just the choice between "demo mode without iCUE" and "lighting off without iCUE" would be great.

TL;DR: rainbow mode is neither a bug nor literally Hitler, but still add me to the list
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 09-05-2018, 04:52 PM
Piplos Piplos is offline
Registered User
Piplos's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 81
POST ID # = 971644
Piplos Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonRoxas View Post
While I don't HATE the rainbow effect (I even made a custom rainbow profile for shhs and giggles which I use sometimes), I still believe that it should be possible to customize the fans and LED strips to display a static color of choice when not connected to iCUE (just as I remember being possible in LINK, and just as it is still possible with the keyboards and mice and water pumps in iCUE). And no, this is not a bug. It's a flawed design choice at worst. I work in PC hardware retail and it's actually useful to be able to showcase all the RGB colors and patterns with this built-in demo mode without needing any hardware besides the case, fans, LED strips, and a shorted PSU. But for personal use, disabling the demo mode should really be an option. Even without the custom static color, just the choice between "demo mode without iCUE" and "lighting off without iCUE" would be great.

TL;DR: rainbow mode is neither a bug nor literally Hitler, but still add me to the list
Thank you. I bought 3x LL120 and 4 LED strips and I'm using them adequately with my custom profiles. Rainbow effect is way too bright on this setup, when it kicks in for some reason it really bugs me.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09-10-2018, 10:23 PM
bp7178 bp7178 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 14
POST ID # = 972229
bp7178 Reputation: 10
Default

I've lurked this forum for a while, and finally created a profile for the sole purpose of expressing my dislike of the rainbow effect when starting up or shutting down. Add me to the list please.

This is a deal breaker considering Link v4 doesn't exhibit this behavior. iCUE is amazing otherwise, its really disappointing that a default feature isn't implemented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybeard View Post

I totally know where you guys are coming from, but when I said that rainbow default lighting profile doesn't really bother "A good amount of people" I'm referring to thousands of Commander PRO, LNP, HD fans, LL fans verified owners that either love it or couldn't careless that their system defaults to rainbow when exiting iCUE.
But, how many of those people are going to find this forum and create a profile or a trouble ticket to express their dislike? You cannot consider silence as approval. That's ridiculous.

Last edited by bp7178; 09-10-2018 at 10:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 09-12-2018, 03:55 AM
Piplos Piplos is offline
Registered User
Piplos's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 81
POST ID # = 972395
Piplos Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
But, how many of those people are going to find this forum and create a profile or a trouble ticket to express their dislike? You cannot consider silence as approval. That's ridiculous.
Exactly my thought. Only very few users would waste their time subscribing to this forum or going through a complicated procedure to open a ticket in order to express their feeling about this really bad behavior.

And by the way believe me, it's really HARD to open a ticket to Corsair. It makes me think it has been created this way to discourage the users to finish the procedure. Just try it to realize this by yourself. It's a shame.

Hey Corsair, the list is still constantly increasing. Do you think 19 complains are enough for you or you just want to wait and see the list further increasing every day?
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 09-12-2018, 06:55 AM
Zotty's Avatar
Zotty Zotty is offline
iCue βeta Team
Zotty's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: South Staffordshire, England, UK
Posts: 2,466
POST ID # = 972408
Zotty Reputation: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piplos View Post

And by the way believe me, it's really HARD to open a ticket to Corsair. It makes me think it has been created this way to discourage the users to finish the procedure. Just try it to realize this by yourself. It's a shame.

Gotta disagree.. RMA'd my k95p last week... creating the ticket was no issue and I had my replacement keyboard 7 days later.. the whole process was straight forward. Just a matter of reading it and following the instructions..

Last edited by Zotty; 09-12-2018 at 07:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 09-12-2018, 10:00 AM
bp7178 bp7178 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 14
POST ID # = 972425
bp7178 Reputation: 10
Default

I didn't find the ticket creation process all that easy or intuitive. ASUS' wasn't all that much better. EVGA is awesome in this regard.

Support ticket creation aside, has anyone that has managed to create one get this same response?

Quote:
Many issues with Corsair Utility Engine can be solved by performing a clean reinstall of the software. This is a little different from just uninstalling and reinstalling the software. Please perform the steps below:

- Please make sure to install all updates for Windows.
- Uninstall the CUE software.
Please locate your Appdata folder, and delete the 2 Corsair folders in the Local and Roaming folder.
- Run CCleaner: https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
- Run CCleaner's Registry Cleaner
- Restart your computer
- Reinstall CUE.
To me this seems like a generic response, and a complete shame to shuffle someone through all these steps if iCUE is functioning as intended with regards to the rainbow default nonsense when starting up, shutting down and locking windows. I haven't read anything to the contrary. Accessing hidden folders (Appdata) and using 3rd party cleaner programs seems like a giant run-around.

The only interesting thing is that Link v4 doesn't do the rainbow default thing.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 09-12-2018, 01:53 PM
Piplos Piplos is offline
Registered User
Piplos's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 81
POST ID # = 972454
Piplos Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
Support ticket creation aside, has anyone that has managed to create one get this same response?
I opened a ticket about a month ago as in the first post and I was answered this:

Quote:
Hello,

Currently this is the default lighting effect of our products when in idle. I will bring this issue to our development department to fix your issue.

Thank you for choosing Corsair.
I still wonder if they are working on it and what is the progress, in case.

I think it would help if many users send other tickets about this issue.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 09-13-2018, 03:50 PM
bp7178 bp7178 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 14
POST ID # = 972610
bp7178 Reputation: 10
Default

That's kind of my point. If its functioning as intended, why give me a list of things to do knowing that it won't help?

Sadly, going back to Link v4 fixed the rainbow nonsense. I like iCUE, but with 6 fans and LED strips full on rainbow mode is a little much.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.