The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > iCUE Software

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2018, 10:10 PM
KnightArch's PC Specs

POST ID # = 957759
KnightArch Reputation: 10

I have a HUGE problem with this. Spend all day trying the solutions given here by you, Solarity, trying another other things and nothing worked for me.
I have a bunch of corsair things. K95 RGB Platinum, Glaive RGB, Void Surround, MM800 RGB Polaris, ST100 RGB, H115i AIO watercooler and Vengeance RGB RAM modules on my desktop based on a intel core i9 7900x.

The iCUE proccess is consuming ~5% of my computing resources, but this is like a margin for all resources available, being different for each CPU used by you.
Looking deeply, it's consuming almost 100% of one core of my i9 with 350mb+ of RAM and on my notebook with one intel core i7 7500U, it destroys the entire performance and makes the PC useless.

I tried all the solutions presented here and not even one makes any less consumption of my CPU. I'll try now rolling back for the previous build or change back to CUE+Link until this ridiculous code is fixed.

If anyone else has another idea, please let me know.

Thank you solarity for your help by making this post with all this info.

Edit 1: Thank you again for the previously build of iCUE in another thread, solarity. You rocks! \m/
I'm rolling back to iCUE 3.2.87 on my desktop PC and backing to CUE 2.24.50 on my notebook. It's impossible to use iCUE on a i7. I'm wondering what is happening with the people using i3 or even older CPUs. Worried... a lot! Hope they find this topic with a little effort.

Edit 2: I found in this another thread (thanks guys!) one post with some helpful hint, minimizing the iCUE rather than closing it to system tray helps a lot. With this now it's consuming like 40% of one core and drops the overall use to 1~2% instead of 100% of one core and 5~7% of overall CPU resources. BUT this only works in the standard profile. If I switch to another profile rather than the default one, the CPU use increases again. Tried to understand what's causing this in other profiles but I can't find anything that is causing this, nothing related to lighting effects on my KB, mouse pad, mouse, headset stand or memories. I really have no idea what is different in my profiles that is triggering the CPU extreme use.

Edit 3: Ok now I figured out what is going on with my profiles. Seems that the linked lighting FX and only a few others makes this weird workaround useful and ONLY AFTER moving the XML of the demo profiles to another folder or temporary removing them. And the things becomes even more bizarre. The CPU use is only reduced when at least one light is on. If I use the "visor" FX, I got spikes in the CPU use and the spike is in the moment which the lights if off, backing to drop when lights becomes on. The graph changes accordingly the speed of the "visor" FX. Instant light mess with everything although of the state/color of it, so don't use it if you want to use this workaround. I am tired of testing this things, so I removed all the 9 XML demo profiles.

Edit 4: This workaround worked only until I restarted my desktop PC. So I'm giving up for this sheet of A4 paper and rolling back to 3.2.87.

Edit 5: After some more and more and more and infinite more time spent on this state of art Corsair's code, I have to let you know that they changed the things in profile database, converted when updated to the new iCUE build. So, guess what?! If you want to roll back to the previous version, your profiles wouldn't be compatible with it and no tool to convert them to the previous format is provided, if you are wondering yourself... So, for precaution, always get your profiles backed up anyway even if you are reverting to the previous build in case of the new ones isn't restored to the profile library when update again, when they should be showed up again. Although they are not in the profile lib if you roll back to 3.2.87, they still are in the profile folder: %appdata%\Corsair\CUE\profiles. So when you update again to 3.3.103+ they should be back again into the lib.

Last edited by KnightArch; 06-06-2018 at 04:02 AM. Reason: 1- Added a new thank to solarity. 2- Added a note about a workaround mentioned by DevBiker. 3- Added a note found/developed by myself about the workaround. 4- Added news about the workaround. 5- +Info
Old 06-06-2018, 11:01 AM
picklestine's PC Specs

POST ID # = 957824
picklestine Reputation: 10

Just sharing my experience short and sweet,
Updated to 3.3.103 to find iCUE using 30%-40% cpu at all times.
After reading this thread and trying all possible solutions (disabling demos, disabling all lighting effects, unplugging micro usb from AIO cpu block) the only thing that worked was backing up and deleting profile_h100iv2.xml that dropped iCUE's cpu usage to 3% but now of course I have no monitoring of my AIO sooooooo
Old 06-06-2018, 11:14 AM
jl94x4's PC Specs

POST ID # = 957828
jl94x4 Reputation: 10

How is this a fix? A fix would be rolling back to the previous update, because at least you can use the hardware you spent money on.

Your fix is literally just disabling all the parts. Which begs the question, why do we need to use this software if we're disabling lighting? lol.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:23 AM
iCue βeta Team
solarity's PC Specs

POST ID # = 957831
solarity Reputation: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl94x4 View Post
How is this a fix? A fix would be rolling back to the previous update, because at least you can use the hardware you spent money on.

Your fix is literally just disabling all the parts. Which begs the question, why do we need to use this software if we're disabling lighting? lol.
For me it is a fix as I don't have high CPU, all of my devices work, and I don't get the crazy rainbow mode. The original post is adapting as we are finding out more stuff. I did specify it is up to the user to pick their medicine, it is easier to just disable demo for someone like me, than the uninstall it. For others it does make sense to revert to a previous version. I use to have the two previous versions in my signature, though it mysteriously disappeared out of my sig two days ago, so I don't know if they wanted me to post it or not. I am adding links for the download of CUE/Link as well as the previous version of iCue.

Disclaimer: I am not an employee of Corsair all my opinions are my own.

Last edited by solarity; 06-06-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:52 AM

POST ID # = 957835
Tzseng Reputation: 10

My problem is with Dark Core SE, if i delete all color settings of Dark Core SE, CPU usage back to normal.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:00 PM
Corsair Employee
Corsair CJ's PC Specs

POST ID # = 957845
Corsair CJ Reputation: 42

Thanks for putting this together guys. I've pinned this post for reference.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:15 PM
KnightArch's PC Specs

POST ID # = 957866

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklestine View Post
(...)the only thing that worked was backing up and deleting profile_h100iv2.xml that dropped iCUE's cpu usage to 3% but now of course I have no monitoring of my AIO sooooooo
For me, when I tried this earlier, it doesn't worked. CPU consumption was the same extremely high as before removing the XML profiles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarity View Post
I am adding links for the download of CUE/Link as well as the previous version of iCue.
Maybe it's a good idea to put the warning about what I said when you downgrade to the previous version. I was unable to convert my profiles back to the old format used by iCUE 3.2.87.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzseng View Post
My problem is with Dark Core SE, if i delete all color settings of Dark Core SE, CPU usage back to normal.
I tried that but even if I delete all my profiles and delete all color or lights in the last profile, the CPU still gets burned by iCUE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair CJ View Post
Thanks for putting this together guys. I've pinned this post for reference.
Thank you for this, CJ. Corsair's dev team should speed up coding and releasing a build to fix this issue. They are too slow even for a small size company. I'm a developer and I'm sure they can be faster to solve a problem that they should tested before releasing a faulty version. There is no way that a team can be slower than me coding an app alone. I am sure Corsair dev team can be more efficient and do things faster and testing it better. What happen to that history of Corsair be the best manufacturer of hardware because the other ones in the market isn't good enough for a "fair" price if this doesn't apply to software too? Maybe things has changed to worse sneaky in front of our eyes and we didn't see it.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:34 PM
iCue βeta Team
solarity's PC Specs

POST ID # = 957885
solarity Reputation: 33

@Knight - I think you have a lot of devices and we have confirmed more than a few devices have the issue that causes high CPU. The thing is you will have to preform the certain "fixes" to get it to work with this version, though you might be better off by going with the previous version. I have included that in the front page.

It looks like C-attack gave some pointers on how to use profiles in older versions of iCue: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=178357 Though it doesn't look like it can revert back to regular Cue/Link

I think you biggest problem is you have so many Corsair devices, it looks like you have more than one that is causing the problem. I only have 1xK70 Lux and 2xLNP. That is why things worked out so well with me. There might be something else. Though you actually can contribute a bit. As it looks like one of a few things:

1) My instructions are poorly written.
2) You might be doing something wrong.
3) You discovered some perfect storm.

So in a way you have 66% you can help the community :) Though in all honesty this is better than having one piece of software for each product like my M60 and my H2100 required.

Disclaimer: I am not an employee of Corsair all my opinions are my own.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:41 PM

POST ID # = 957886
Cetlysm Reputation: 10

Why is this software suddenly "muh early access beta alpha work in progress +more buzzwords", it was not advertised as such anywhere else outside of the forums.
I'm getting tired of Corsair treating us like ****, this previous purchase was my last.
+1 person with H100i v2 with problems
Old 06-06-2018, 04:32 PM
Duster66's PC Specs

POST ID # = 957896
Duster66 Reputation: 10

I can also confirm the Dark Core is the problem for me. I use one at home and at work. My work computer had iCue CPU at 45% until I removed the Lighting effects for the mouse and it dropped to 5% (old CPU but 45 to 5 is quite noticeable). The K95 Plat was the only other iCue driven item.

On my home PC, CPU was at 14% before I removed Lighting on Dark Core SE. It drops to 1.5% with all these other devices in iCue:

K95 Platinum, MM800 RGB Polaris, H150i Pro, Lightning Node Pro with 1 RGB strip in each port, and a Commander Pro controlling 4 RGB strips, 4 LL120 and 2 LL140 fans.

The only lighting sequence is a solid color rain effect with Lighting Link on all devices.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:50 PM
KnightArch's PC Specs

POST ID # = 957900

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarity View Post
@Knight - I think you have a lot of devices and we have confirmed more than a few devices have the issue that causes high CPU. The thing is you will have to preform the certain "fixes" to get it to work with this version, though you might be better off by going with the previous version. I have included that in the front page.

It looks like C-attack gave some pointers on how to use profiles in older versions of iCue: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=178357 Though it doesn't look like it can revert back to regular Cue/Link

I think you biggest problem is you have so many Corsair devices, it looks like you have more than one that is causing the problem. I only have 1xK70 Lux and 2xLNP. That is why things worked out so well with me. There might be something else. Though you actually can contribute a bit. As it looks like one of a few things:

1) My instructions are poorly written.
2) You might be doing something wrong.
3) You discovered some perfect storm.

So in a way you have 66% you can help the community :) Though in all honesty this is better than having one piece of software for each product like my M60 and my H2100 required.
@solarity - I'm aware of this method C-attack uses to "migrate" the data between iCUE versions. But I was unable to migrate from 3.3.103 to 3.2.87, I missed something that broke the entire process. I was very sleepy and tired working on workarounds since 8pm and was to sleep almost 6am.

Yes, I have many devices affected by this flaw, but it's not really entirely related to devices. Even on my notebook with absolutely no devices connected iCUE devours my CPU, so i moved on to CUE 2 because I actually only use the headset on it. But in my desktop PC I decided to downgrade to 3.2.87 and make the hard way backing up my profiles because, you know, I was a fool and didn't make one single backup in this version LOL

Regarding what you said, I agree that there might be something else. The 1 is absolutely not the case, but 2 and 3 it's possible hahaha even I don't think so, but you know, I was working on it for a very long time and this might have affected me in some way that I started to mess up with the things without notice at some point.

I tried to contribute to help the community as much possible as I can, but I work streaming games, making videos and developing apps, so I can't spend much time trying to solve a problem that is beyond my hands, talking about the code lines itself. I think we as a community did our part in this "job" very well and it's done, now it's Corsair time to do something definitely final.

I do agree with you it's better have one software to control everything. I dream with iCUE being able to handle Asus AuraSync using its API because the native Asus app sucks and devours some CPU resources too, but...

And finally, I did not get from where you found this "66%" of whatever I have hahaha
I'm a dumb! LMAO
Old 06-06-2018, 05:02 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 957902
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 103

I think we should probably start listing hardware and OS version when reporting to try and pin this to specific devices or hardware. I am seeing people with the same basic chipset and core hardware as me, but with drastically different results.

Asus Z370 Maximus X Code/8700K
Commander Pro
HD140 x 5
Corsair LED strips x 4
H115i Pro
K95 Platinum
M65 Pro
MM800 mouse pad
Win 10 PRO 1803 (17134.81)

The two Corsair services peak at about 2% each, for a total of 4%. Most of the time, it is less than three with the window up and CUE space open. Obviously, I am not affected by this. I might even be better than the prior version.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:18 PM
KnightArch's PC Specs

POST ID # = 957906

There is no sense to list system setup in comments since it's listed in system specs and is "against the rules" of this forum, as said in system specs editing panel. It lacks some useful fields but is good enough to show our system specs.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:54 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 957914
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightArch View Post
There is no sense to list system setup in comments since it's listed in system specs and is "against the rules" of this forum, as said in system specs editing panel. It lacks some useful fields but is good enough to show our system specs.
Having to menu drop on each and every person does not allow one to easily grab the data and move to next. People can put values in any way they choose and it contains a lot of extraneous information. Most people have incomplete system information.

The idea is not to add filler and make posts unnecessarily long, however I am having a hard time seeing anyone take issue with a legitimate purpose. Besides, I do have multiple systems and I am clarifying which system is using the iCUE 3.3 version. The people this is most likely to benefit are at Corsair. If they don't like it, they can say so.

Last edited by c-attack; 06-06-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:02 PM
KnightArch's PC Specs

POST ID # = 957915

Multiple systems, good point. I have this scenario too. Forgive me to not think about this. Sorry.