The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Corsair Link

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2018, 12:43 PM
tealsteam's PC Specs

POST ID # = 985193
tealsteam Reputation: 10

I have attempted this myself with that i thought was ws2812b led strips that i have in stock,

I cut some 10 led strips as i want to use icue to control them, if i connect them to the CLNP i get the wrong colour spectrum, it looks as though the CLNP is using GRB instead of RGB, as Blue is Blue, Red is Green and Green is yellow...

If i use them on the allpixel, i get the correct colour output, but when i put them on the CLNP i get a different colour spectrum, i am assuming the CLNP is putting out a different data command to what the strip i have is expecting,

My question is, how do I identify what exactly the issue is, and if i am correct how do i identify which WS2812B 5050 will work..

Here is an image of the strip i am using, excuse my soldering it was a test piece

Last edited by tealsteam; 12-13-2018 at 12:45 PM. Reason: added photo

Old 12-13-2018, 04:03 PM

POST ID # = 985225
CrazyAngel1990 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBiker View Post
You have +5V and ground reversed on the NoPro.
What are you planning on hooking up to the LNP for control? How many LEDs?

is this correct?

we connect 3M of strip which is 90 LEDs

I will never thank you enough for all the help you are giving me
Attached Images
File Type: png Presentazione standard1.png (515.9 KB, 276 views)

Old 12-13-2018, 05:11 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 985241
DevBiker Reputation: 83

That *should* work. I've never not connected ground but, TBH, I don't think it's necessary. In your use case, you're only using the middle wire anyway.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:01 PM

POST ID # = 985263

THB what would it be?
I used the sata to be sure of the amps, because it would be more convenient to use the LPN

Old 12-13-2018, 07:52 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 985283

You need to have a separate power source or you'll potentially blow the LNP's fuse with that number of LEDs. That would, I think, be somewhat less convenient. You can do up to about 60 LEDs before you start going over the power limit on a single channel. SATA provides up to 4.5A and, on the Lighting Node Pro, that's split between the 2 channels. So a little over 2A per channel. 90 LEDs will be pushing 3A.

As I said, I think that it should work. But I can't tell you that it definitely will work because I've not made a connection with just the signal wire and no ground. Even the Fan Hub cable uses the ground wire. So if you're looking for 100% certainty that it'll work ... stick with the Corsair cables.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:46 AM

POST ID # = 985361

Right, so now I try, but in theory it should not change anything if I get in touch with the sata instead of the LNP.

The important thing is that I understood how to connect everything then I do some tests.

So the led limit is always 96 has not been increased?

Old 12-14-2018, 11:19 AM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 985369

The number of LEDs that iCUE will control per channel is limited to 96, yes. That's 6 LL RGB fans.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:46 AM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 985374

Something to consider - you should be able to drive 90 LEDs from a single RGB Fan Controller. That will have the full 4.5A available and there's no fuse that I can recall ... just a capacitor. The pinout is slightly different but you should be able to get the current that you need from the Fan Hub's power connection. This, by the way, is also a cable that I could actually put together for you.

Old 12-14-2018, 04:05 PM

POST ID # = 985400

Ok, so you say that I can power 90 LEDs using a single channel without causing damage?

In the end if only the LPN dies and it does not damage me anymore then it is not a problem to recall as much as I have another one :-)

Unfortunately as I said I'm Italian so I can not take the cables already made as those who linked me the ebay shop :-(

Old 12-14-2018, 04:33 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 985403

IF you power it through the RGB Fan Hub, NOT through the Lighting Node Pro, THEN it may be possible.
The RGB Fan Hub would still be connected to the Lighting Node Pro. But it has its own power ... and no fuses AFAIK. So, yes, it should - theoretically - be possible to connect to the RGB Fan Hub use that for your power sources, rather than splicing an SATA cable in.
And that eBay store ships internationally. All the time.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:09 PM

POST ID # = 985429

Ah ok, I misunderstood, but eventually I use the cables that I already have and I change them so I do not change much where I take the power

For the tip for Italy I would spend a lot of disputation with even the risk of customs :-(

I was looking though that the strips I found have the WS2812b controller but they are not RGB GRBs, are they okay?

Old 12-14-2018, 10:08 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 985471

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAngel1990 View Post

I was looking though that the strips I found have the WS2812b controller but they are not RGB GRBs, are they okay?
I don't understand this. WS2812b LEDs all use the same protocol. The Corsair devices also use this protocol. It's a single-wire for control with 5V power.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:39 AM

POST ID # = 985518

I was looking at the specifications of the strip and it was specified that it was GRB and not RGB, so before buying it I wanted to be sure that it was okay

Old 12-23-2018, 02:27 PM
HandHeldRehab's PC Specs

POST ID # = 986706
HandHeldRehab Reputation: 10

New to RGB, but I have a basic understanding. I see the factory LED's have 10 LED's per strip. How will the controller respond if I add a strip with only 8 LED's? How will this affect addressing?

Old 01-17-2019, 04:45 PM
sLpFhaWK's PC Specs

POST ID # = 990322
sLpFhaWK Reputation: 10

Okay, so I am going to undertake this small project possibly this weekend if the stuff shows up.

I currently have 6 LL120 Fans and 4 Corsair LED strips in my setup. I'd like to replace the 40 LED's on the Corsair strips with 96 LED's from the WS2812B LED Strips.

Now when connecting to the Commander Pro I know it has 3 pins, power, data, and ground.

Now when powering the LED Strips I would just give them 5v direct from the PSU and feed them Ground and Data from the Commander Pro, and that's it?

I think that is what I got from reading over these posts, but there is so much info that it gets confusing. I wish someone who's done this project would make a how to video.

If I can get those interior LED strips to work inside the case then I'm going to run a LNP outside the case with a regular usb cable to connect LED Strips on my desk to get those to match my case profiles. I Think that would be pretty neat, but first I just need confirmation on what I stated was correct.

Thanks!