The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Corsair Link

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2017, 11:34 PM

POST ID # = 909138
Cpt.Planet Reputation: 18

Try putting a capacitor on the power source between ground and 5v to smooth things out. Something with a value of 100uF to 1000uF should be good enough. You can also try adding a resistor 220-470 Ohms on the data line before your LED strip.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:00 AM
SpeedyV's PC Specs

POST ID # = 909139
SpeedyV Reputation: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Planet View Post
Try putting a capacitor on the power source between ground and 5v to smooth things out. Something with a value of 100uF to 1000uF should be good enough. You can also try adding a resistor 220-470 Ohms on the data line before your LED strip.
Hmmm. Thanks for your suggestions. So you think it's dirty power? I understand what a cap would do across the DC power rails. What does adding a resistor in series with the data line do? I would think the input Z of the LED controller chip would be brick wall high.

Do you think my LED strips are OK? Before I separated the 2 halves, it worked flawlessly laying on the table. The fun started after I split the 144-LED strip into 2 and tried to actually install 1 of them in my case. Kind of went down hill ftom there...

Thx!!

Old 06-23-2017, 08:40 PM
Jonathanas's PC Specs

POST ID # = 909253
Jonathanas Reputation: 10

I was looking at different strips like those and they all seem to come from China. Questionable product quality? That said those strips with tons of LEDs side by side with almost no room are probably more likely to break then the ones with gaps between them so the capable can flex and bend around corners. What i find really neat about the ones with gaps is it seems like MOST of them have cut lines so you can break them up into the exact length you need and solder the halves back together with some wire, not that they tell you how or show you. (maybe there are videos of it). Maybe worth noting, the 1 meter 30 LED strips look to be about the same spacing as corsairs. there also seem to be 5 meter 150 LED strips.

Is there any reason you guys use the "WS2812B" model or the 5050 LED specifically? is this what corsair uses in theirs?(i didnt see it specified on the sales site anywhere)

Old 06-23-2017, 10:39 PM
SpeedyV's PC Specs

POST ID # = 909264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanas View Post
I was looking at different strips like those and they all seem to come from China. Questionable product quality? That said those strips with tons of LEDs side by side with almost no room are probably more likely to break then the ones with gaps between them so the capable can flex and bend around corners. What i find really neat about the ones with gaps is it seems like MOST of them have cut lines so you can break them up into the exact length you need and solder the halves back together with some wire, not that they tell you how or show you. (maybe there are videos of it). Maybe worth noting, the 1 meter 30 LED strips look to be about the same spacing as corsairs. there also seem to be 5 meter 150 LED strips.

Is there any reason you guys use the "WS2812B" model or the 5050 LED specifically? is this what corsair uses in theirs?(i didnt see it specified on the sales site anywhere)
Yes they all come from China and yes it's a crap shoot. These particular ones did not have a lot of reviews but they were all good. I have not posted mine yet on Amazon but it will not be good!

I think these are highest density possible, at least with that sized LED, and they are not very flexible. What I see happening is that +5vdc power and ground is getting all the way down the strip, rock steady - even when I flex it. But the 14 LEDs that still work wink in and out, change color, pattern, when I gently flex it. It's the Data line which runs right down the middle of the strip. They un-solder and separate just like the lower density ones - it's just tighter together.

I may try lower density next time. These were kind of a test set but I did find a place to put them in my case after I was done fooling with them and SIV. Too bad they are dead. I am tired of messing with them. I have tried EVERYTHING to get them working.

Yes it HAS to be WS2812B. They have to be 5vdc. Also, there is actually a little micro-controller under each LED that reads the PWM data stream and controls the LED, and passes data down to the next one in the line. Each one has to have an ID so it "knows" what to do. Other model numbers may require a different drive voltage or may use an incompatible control data format. Others on this forum have already discovered certain fans that are incompatible with the Commander Pro.

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/show...101#post907101

If you do decide to try generic ones, make sure they say WS2812B Individually Addressable 5050 RGB SMD. You will have to do some wiring to get them hooked up but it's not a big deal. There are only 3 connections. With any luck at all, you will fare better than I did with this strip!

Old 06-26-2017, 08:08 AM
SpeedyV's PC Specs

POST ID # = 909473
Idea Would a 12vdc LED strip work if wired this way?

I am wondering if I could connect a 12vdc LED strip to the CLCP LED port for control but power the strip from the 12vdc rail of the system power supply. If I connect ground of the supply to ground of the CLCP to ground of the strip, then connect the data pin of the CLCP to the data lead on the strip, and the 12vdc power to the power lead of the strip, would it work?

So ground is ground, the strip gets power from the 12vdc rail of the supply, and data from the CLCP Data port. The control protocol may be different so it may not work at all, or incorrectly, but I don't think it would damage any hardware. As long as the grounds are commoned, and the 12vdc power rail is only connected to the power lead of the strip, the CLCP would never "see" the 12vdc.

The reason I am interested in this possibility is that I happen to have about 6 reels of very nice 12vdc LED strips laying around which I could use instead of forking out another ~$20 on a WS2812B LED strip.

Barring being told this will definitely not work and/or may damage something, I think I may give it a try, but must say I am not responsible if someone else decides to try this and damages something. If it does work, it opens up the possibility of using Corsair's 12vdc strips with the CLCP, with a bit of custom wiring. Control Protocol differences may very well cause this to be impossible...

Old 06-26-2017, 01:34 PM
SpeedyV's PC Specs

POST ID # = 909501

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-ray View Post
Maybe, GIYF .
I will take a harder look at the 12vdc LED strips I have tonight. I am not sure if they are marked with LED type so I may have to try it blind. Hardware damage aside, there is littel risk in trying, and I really do not think there is any way this could damage the CLCP, so I will try it at my own risk. I'll post results.

Quote:
Incorrect, these are not 12 volt WS2812B LED strips so obviously will not work .
Noted. I was unsure if the incompatibility was just a supply voltage difference or if the Corsair LEDs used a different control protocol. Thanks for clarifying that.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:47 PM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 909522
red-ray Reputation: 81
Arrow 3 wires -> Maybe and 4 wires -> No

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyV View Post
I will take a harder look at the 12vdc LED strips I have tonight.
How many wires do they have? 3 wires -> Maybe and 4 wires -> No.

You should post a link to their specifications.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:47 PM
SpeedyV's PC Specs

POST ID # = 909548
Default They won't work.

Quote:
How many wires do they have? 3 wires -> Maybe and 4 wires -> No.
I am not looking at them but I did look up the controller I bought for them and now I recall that they are 4-wire - R, G, B, and +12vdc. Here is a wiring diagram. These are not going to work.

Quote:
You should post a link to their specifications.
I don't know if I can. These LED reels came out of a box of left overs from a job my company did. They were purchased direct in Shenzen by one of our purchasing agents. After looking at the controller schematic, it doesn't matter anyway.

I should have looked at these closer before I posted this. The ones I have are not going to work. It is still possible that a 12-volt version of WS2812B may work but at this point I am not sure there is even any such thing.

Last edited by SpeedyV; 06-26-2017 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Fix Picture Link

Old 06-27-2017, 07:38 AM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 909613
Happy Snail Mail from China is quite fast

Quote:
I should have also ordered some extra connectors.
My extra connectors just arrived from China only 13 days after I ordered them .

I can now easily connect both 72 LED strips together to make a 144 LED strip once there enhanced firmware

Last edited by red-ray; 07-19-2017 at 08:03 PM.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:39 PM
SpeedyV's PC Specs

POST ID # = 909638
Default Decisions Decisions

Quote:
My extra connectors just arrived from China only 13 days after I ordered them .

I can now easily connect both 72 LED strips together to make a 144 LED strip and "all" I need is Enhanced Corsair Firmware
Good news for you! I am debating trying another 144 LED strip. Either this one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HYUREVG...XWKZNQZOE&th=1

Or this one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CDTEJR0...d=M5IXWKZNQZOE

Or this one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XGS34GM...d=M5IXWKZNQZOE

It's a crap shoot. The first one is only $11 for the bare strip. $19 for IP67 rated but I don't really need that as I am not planning to immerse my computer in water.

I also don't really need such high LED density so maybe something with 60 LEDs like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Mokungit-Prog...8M5R1AMB2FWX3A

Then there is this interesting LED Panel with 256 pixels, but the CLCP firmware and SIV do not currently address this many. It would be fun to play with, but I assume that currently only the first 144 LEDs could be addressed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DC0IPVU?psc=1

Also, I am going to try cutting the malfunctioning strips I have up into smaller sections and see if I can salvage some portions of the strips. Nothing to lose but time.

Decisions Decisions...

Old 06-27-2017, 01:52 PM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 909639
Sigh.. No, the current limit is only 72

Quote:
Then there is this interesting LED Panel with 256 pixels, but the CLCP firmware and SIV do not currently address this many. It would be fun to play with, but I assume that currently only the first 144 LEDs could be addressed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DC0IPVU?psc=1
No, the current limit is only 72 and I suspect 256 may be impossible as the LEDs per strip must be <= 255. Maybe 2 x 128 could be made to work.

There is a 8 x 8 = 64 which should be OK and reading your posts is not zero cost. I have updated SIV 5.21 Beta-10 to do 64 .

Last edited by red-ray; 06-27-2017 at 02:48 PM.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:01 PM
SpeedyV's PC Specs

POST ID # = 909678
Default Gotta Have One!

Quote:
No, the current limit is only 72 and I suspect 256 may be impossible as the LEDs per strip must be <= 255. Maybe 2 x 128 could be made to work.

There is a 8 x 8 = 64 which should be OK and reading your posts is not zero cost. I have updated SIV 5.21 Beta-10 to do 64 .
HA! Sorry Ray. Look at it this way - you got me to buy a 144-LED strip that I did not really need, and that is now dead. So I guess it's my turn to burden you with another LED array that you will probably now go buy.

Strips are so... linear! With a matrix array, you can spell out words, like Corsair Software is GREAT, (well maybe not that) or logos, or whatever you can cram into an 8x8 array!

BTW - Is Beta 10 released? I just updated and Bete 09 downloaded. No 64-LED option. I don't really need it (yet) so just wondering..

Last edited by SpeedyV; 06-27-2017 at 07:07 PM.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:16 AM
SpeedyV's PC Specs

POST ID # = 909738
Default That is what I did

Quote:
I added Menu->File->Latest Releases so SIV users did not need to ask me such questions and again this is in the SIV User Guide.
Hi Ray,

I may not be the GOOSE this time. That is exactly how I did the Beta update but as you can see in the screen shot below, V5.21 Beta 09 is listed - not Beta 10. Actually to get to this screen, one can also just click on the [OK] button pull down and get to [Latest Releases] that way. if this is Operator Error, please advise what I am doing wrong.

Attached Images
File Type: png 062817 Latest Releases.png (63.3 KB, 838 views)

Old 06-28-2017, 08:24 AM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 909740
Confused Once I release Beta-10 that screen will say Beta-10.

Quote:
I may not be the GOOSE this time.
Once I release Beta-10 that screen will say Beta-10 . Obviously I will be running Beta-10 before I release it.

I added [Latest Updates] in V4.17 released on 14-Mar-2011 so SIV users could easily check what the latest Beta is without needing to ask me. Since adding this I think you are the first to basically ask me if it's correct, why do you feel you need to do this?

Last edited by red-ray; 06-28-2017 at 11:26 AM.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:21 PM
SpeedyV's PC Specs

POST ID # = 909782

Quote:
Once I release Beta-10 that screen will say Beta-10 . Obviously I will be running Beta-10 before I release it.

I added [Latest Updates] in V4.17 released on 14-Mar-2011 so SIV users could easily check what the latest Beta is without needing to ask me. Since adding this I think you are the first to basically ask me if it's correct, why do you feel you need to do this?
I saw Beta-10 in your screen shot and thought you had released it. I wanted to check out how the LED selection menus are coming. I did not realize Beta-10 was still pre-release. My error - apologies.