The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2003, 03:37 PM

POST ID # = 75399
andrew82 Reputation: 10
Big Grin Ram Guy is a Genius

That was it! My motherboard manual says that two beeps indicate a parity error. I never would have guessed that it beeps for each USB device attached! I unplugged both of them and booted up and got no beeps. Then I plugged them back in and the two beeps were back.

Perfect! So my assumption that it was a RAM problem was just off to start with and it was just lousy old Windows that was messed up.

Thanks for all your help. Even if Corsair didn't make awesome RAM, the support sure is great!

Old 08-28-2003, 04:26 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 75402
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

LOL, Well thanks for the compliment, But I think our memory is the best on the market. I really do not think there is any one who has a better product and or support.
Ram Guy

Old 09-04-2003, 10:11 AM

POST ID # = 76533
nurbs_x Reputation: 10
Send a message via AIM to nurbs_x
Default The saga continues...

Ok, so first of all, I tried upgrading my PSU from the 300 watt to a 550. No change, unfourtunately. However, a while ago I disconnected most of my non essential fans and devices to hopefully free up some more power, and my system seemed to be a lot more stable like that. Now with the new PSU, I have the same stability that I had before, but with all my fans and devices. Yet, still the random reset problem.

So the next thing I try is a brand new motherboard (P4C800 Deluxe, same as before). When I took the old one out, I noticed some small scorch marks on two chips that sit right below the memory banks. Hoping that the marks had something to do with my problems, I installed the new motherboard. The result: Little has seemed to change. I am using Corsair's recommended BIOS settings with a brand new motherboard, with brand new RAM and I am still getting random resets in windows.

I set memtest to run over night and what I found 7 hours later was 52 passes and 258 errors. These results are a lot more encouraging than with the old motherboard which racked up errors during the entire test until you got sick of watching the error count steadily increase. Is this an error count to be worried about? Or are a few errors normal?

One thing that occurs to me, is that I have not upgraded the bios on the new board yet. Otherwise, any suggestions?

My current setup again:
Pentium 4 3.0 GHz C 800 mHz FSB
Asus P4C800 Deluxe
(2) 512MB Corsair XMS PC3200LL (running dual channel)
Enermax EG651P-VE (FMA) 550 Watt PSU
Leadtek Winfast A250 GeForce 4 Ti4600 128MB AGP 4x
SBLive
Hollywood MPEG Decoder
Ethernet
Modem
Hard drives.. etc..

Old 09-04-2003, 01:12 PM

POST ID # = 76561

Update:

I tried running memtest again with a Corsair 512 mb PC3200 C2PT and after the first pass I had 200 errors.

Then I tried a 256 mb PC2100 chip (out of a Dell) and after the first pass I had 2,302 errors.

So, the PC3200LL has the least amount of errors, but I still wonder what could be causing the errors in the first place, and if it is linked to my random reboots.

Old 09-04-2003, 02:50 PM

POST ID # = 76593
Smellytoe Reputation: 10

Nurbs
Terrible to hear you have sutch problems,i feel with you.
I have got a Asus P4C800 Dx and a 2,6C P4.
I have got 2 sticks of 250mb Twinx 3200LL Rev.1.2 in the blue ram
slotts.
Powersupply is Enermax 365W and my pc works perfekt.
Tried memtest for one hour and no faults.
Have even tried OC a bit aswell.Wish i could help you.Have you checked that nothing is shorting your board?The mount screws
are not to big?
By the way my board came with the 1004 bios and i recomend
you to uppgrade.I'm using bios 1011 now.

Last edited by Smellytoe; 09-04-2003 at 02:54 PM.

Old 09-04-2003, 03:32 PM

POST ID # = 76599
colinexl Reputation: 10

This is weird, I'm getting the same problems. Here is my specs.

ASUS P4C800 Deluxe
P4 3.0 Ghz
Corsair CMX512-3200C2
Audigy 2
Radeon 9800
400 Watt PSU

that's all the hardware I have inside plus a bunch of fans. When I first put everything together, the system was very unstable. So I thought that I should probably "burn-in" the system with Sandra and 3DMark 2003. Afterwards, things were better. However, I still get random reboots and shutdowns. Sometimes IE, AIM, Explorer would just crash upon first booting causing me to reboot again until it worked. I ran memtest86 and had some interesting results. It seems that I can never run more than 2 passes before the program hangs. Once i had 800 some errors, but I ran again and it had none. I know that memtest is suppose to run nonstop but mine just freezes after a while. Could this be a problem with the memory? By the way, I used SPD for memtest and I chose to ran all tests. My parents are getting pissed at these random shutdowns/crashes/reboots. So far I can't find a solution. Going down to local hardware store to buy new RAM and see if it'll solve the problem. Anyhow, this is a major issue for Corsair to look into. Thx all!

Old 09-04-2003, 04:19 PM

POST ID # = 76606
Smellytoe Reputation: 10

Try and disable USB Legacy support in the bios.
That worked for me,memtest diden't freeze anymore.

Old 09-04-2003, 05:21 PM

POST ID # = 76621
Angry Problems Persist!

I thought I had the problem fixed, but such was not the case. (See my previous posts in this thread for the details.) Basically, my system (running Windows XP Pro SP1 with all patches) freezes at random, forcing me to do a hardware reset.

My system specs:

Power: Thermaltake Silent Purepower 480Watts
Motherboard: Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
CPU: P4 3GHz, 800MHz FSB
RAM: TWINX1024-3200LLPT 1GB DDR400 XMS3200

OTHER Stuff:
Video: ATI Radeon 9600
Audio: SoundBlaster Audigy 2
Hard Drives: 4 IDE disk drives
Optical Drives: 1 CD-R/RW, 1 DVD
Fans: 7 case fans
USB: Canon i550 printer
USB: Canon CanoScan N 650U

Memtest doesn't find any errors with my memory, even when running for 11+ hours. I though that maybe the problem was the CPU, so I ran a 6 hour test using Hot CPU Tester 3.4.2 (see: http://www.7byte.com). It didn't find any errors. (I didn't pay to upgrade to the Pro version, which tests the chipset and the peripherals. So, I may pay the money to upgrade and run a more complete test.)

Does anybody have any ideas as to what could be causing the problem? I'm quite tired of re-installing everything. What could cause the system to freeze (seemingly) at random? Does it sound more like a hardware or a software issue?

Another thought I had was that maybe it had something to do with the video card and/or with DirectX hanging. Does anybody know a place where I could get software to test that theory?

I'll try disabling legacy USB support and/or unplugging my two USB devices. But, are these likely causes of my problems?

Thanks for the help.

Old 09-04-2003, 05:34 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 76626

I have no problem to swap the modules for any of you. I think 3 are here with the same issue. But I think I would try a few things first so maybe you can nail it down. First I would remove every thing that’s not needed and just use www.memtest86.com to test the modules one at a time and I would test them one at a time and please use these settings.
For XMS3200C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 at 2.75 Volts & USB Legacy Disabled.
For XMS3200LL Cass 2-3-2-6 at 2.75 Volts & USB Legacy Disabled.
That's with the Rass to Cass set to "3"
For the RMA if needed, Please send us a email with a copy of the form or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to warranty@corsairmicro.com.
If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the rma please email the same to warranty@corsairmicro.com and we will help to resolve it.
Ram Guy

Old 09-04-2003, 08:23 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 76674
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46

At a glance, you all need to update your bios to the most recent final but do it in this order.

1. Flash to bios 1008 Final, it updates a portion of the boot block which is not normally required.
2. Then, flash to the most recent final, I think it is 1010 Final.

I will reread the thread and then see if I can help.

Good luck, Mike.

Old 09-07-2003, 03:02 AM

POST ID # = 76980
vital Reputation: 10
Default TWINX1024-3200LL on ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe

I had a similar problem. A couple of days ago I started playing with a new computer with the following configuration:
P4 3.0C 800 MHz FSB;
Asus P4C800-E Motherboard;
Corsair TWINX1024-PC3200LL (two 512 MB v1.2 modules);
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB;
Antec 430 W PSU.
The memory latencies were set to SPD, and they were 2.5-3-2-6 according to CPU-Z, and all the voltages were set to AUTO.
Then I tried to set latencies to the values Corsair tested them to, which are 2-3-2-6 as they stated in a piece of marketing crap (sorry Corsair, but it is) they call The Specification.
Every time I changed the settings I tested them with Memtest86.
I would strongly recommend of testing your memory with Memtest86 if you are not completely convinced in stability of your system. If your system shows even very rare memory errors, running an OS would be like a Russian roulette because everything can get corrupted including the content of your hard drive, and these errors will only accumulate if you keep the system running. I heard quite a few horror stories about weird behaviour of computers when they worked perfectly for some time, but after a while they started experiencing sudden freezes and restarts. In my opinion the most probable cause is random memory errors.
I was able to set the latencies to 2-3-2-5. When I set 2-2-2-5, the computer could not reboot at all, and I had to clean the CMOS.
But the 2-3-2-5 setting was not completely reliable. Memtest86 in the standard configuration continuously runs a sequence of different tests from #1 to #6 (or #7?). First few passes of the test sequence were clean, but at a certain moment test #5 (always #5) started showing errors. I tried different combinations of values up to 2-3-3-7, and the results were practically the same.
To reduce the testing time I ran only test #5. I would say it is a very intensive test. During it the temperature of modules rose from 36 to 47 degrees Celsius. And the errors started popping up after the 15th – 20th pass. It means that running Windows you may not notice that the memory doesn't work reliably until you run a very memory intensive application.
Ram Guy says that increasing the DRAM voltage to 2.75 V may help, so I tried this. I started with 2.65 V, but it just made the situation a little worse. The errors started appearing earlier. Then I set the voltage to 2.75 V, and it took only 2 passes to show errors.
Having noticed the trend I set the DRAM voltage to 2.55 V and ran the test #5 for about 1 hour (more than 50 passes). There were no errors and the temperature of the memory modules did not exceed 43 degrees Celsius.
Only after that I dared to boot WinXP. It's been running for a half a day.
So far so good.
I'm just curious what the DRAM voltage is when you set it to AUTO.
Does somebody know?

Old 09-07-2003, 03:40 AM

POST ID # = 76981
colinexl Reputation: 10

hmm.. i did some more testing in dual channel mode with all USB devices removed and after 10 passes it still showed no error. I dunno what is gonig on...

Old 09-07-2003, 07:12 PM

POST ID # = 77050

I updated to the 1010 bios.. No change. However, I could not find the 1008 bios to flash to first. ASUS appears to only host the latest files on their FTP. No luck on finding it with google, either. specmike, you got a link maybe?

I have also tried playing with the voltage. At 2.55 memtest produces less errors, and the system might be more stable, but its hard to tell because I still get random resets. <sigh>

Anyone else having any luck?

Old 09-07-2003, 08:35 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 77058

When you go to ASUS download page for the memory you have to scroll down under All and you should see the BIOS’s, But you should check the revision history. And ASUS normally turns off the FTP when they are updating one of the sites. But as Specmike stated you may have to flash back to another version and I would check the memory on another MB if possible with www.memtest86.com to be sure.
Ram Guy

Old 09-08-2003, 12:49 AM

POST ID # = 77136
Default Where to Download BIOS Updates

I hunted around and found the FTP location for downloading the all the BIOS updates for the Asus motherboards. (It was under Global and not USA.)

For the P4C800-E DELUXE, go to:
ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/P4C800E-DX/

For other boards, you can go to: ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/

I downloaded the 1008 and 1011 updates. We'll see what happens when I apply them.