The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Corsair Utility Engine (CUE) 1.x and 2.x

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 08-20-2015, 06:18 AM
michaelomah's PC Specs

POST ID # = 796971
michaelomah Reputation: 10
Default Feature

I'd love it if keys could have secondary functions, for example, when you hold the shift key it switches modes and acts like the shift key is pressed, cause atm i can't find a way of doing this.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:52 AM
franstam's PC Specs

POST ID # = 796998
franstam Reputation: 10

Hi Corsair,

how about a toggle checkbox for 'do not check for updates' since blocking the corsair CUE software from connecting to internet causes CPU to spike reference:
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=143251

Thank you!

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:38 PM

POST ID # = 797112
DurzoLR Reputation: 10

I've been patiently waiting for a passthrough keystroke on macros. My Prime example: I play BF4. I have set up a lighting scheme that blacks out any keys I dont use during the normal course of playing. However, I need/want all illuminated while typing, so I set up several extra modes that illuminate all keys to red for "all" chat, blue for "team" and green for "squad" which is awesome. the problem is, I want my enter key to both send the message (function AS a return!) as well as change my mode back to default. I can make it do one, or the other...but not both.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:49 PM
The Crazy Developer
terabyte's PC Specs

POST ID # = 797665
terabyte Reputation: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurzoLR View Post
I've been patiently waiting for a passthrough keystroke on macros. My Prime example: I play BF4. I have set up a lighting scheme that blacks out any keys I dont use during the normal course of playing. However, I need/want all illuminated while typing, so I set up several extra modes that illuminate all keys to red for "all" chat, blue for "team" and green for "squad" which is awesome. the problem is, I want my enter key to both send the message (function AS a return!) as well as change my mode back to default. I can make it do one, or the other...but not both.
There is a tutorial on how to do that editing the exported action file and then re-importing it. I can't fine the link right now thought, I'm on mobile.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:02 PM

POST ID # = 797693
Praeteritum Reputation: 10

- Auto-updater for CUE, it can be quite annoying having to go through the download page every time
- Programmable macros using LUA? Seems a bit restricted what we can do with macros at the moment

Last edited by Praeteritum; 08-21-2015 at 07:12 PM.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:21 PM
ChaosRifle's PC Specs

POST ID # = 797714
ChaosRifle Reputation: 10
Default More ideas to add to CUE

I would love to be able to have multiple lighting effects usable on a single key, with and without groups.
(ie; solid while held and then gradient to default color starts on key release.)

This leads into my second request. Start lighting effect on key release. We can already start it on key press and mode start, but not key release as far as I can tell.
Default to CUE, I would also like to see an option along side gradient and solid, that combines them. (used this effect to convey my thoughts above) Solid while key is held, and a gradient fade out to the original color.

Indicators (ie; winlock key indicator and brightness indicator) to be mode specific. I'm trying to make a single profile able to pick any color you like after hitting scroll lock, and pick the color to switch to. Currently indicators are set globally it seems.
It would allow me to for instance, have a single profile able to change colors, with the indicators actually matching the color scheme.

Advanced lighting (same as indicators) to be made mode specific. I'm noticing that they are profile specific, and when using them I can not (as far as I am able to tell) able to change the color of them to match a different colored background better. (while I /could/ make 6 or so different profiles, I feel its not a very streamlined way to do it)

The ability to specify a mode within a profile to switch to.
(ie; profile switching is there, and mode switching is there, but you can not specify exactly what mode to switch to when switching to the profile.)
Currently it /appears/ to be switching to the last used mode in that profile.

Last edited by ChaosRifle; 09-04-2015 at 07:09 PM.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:00 AM

POST ID # = 800800
error1 Reputation: 10

New K95 owner here, what I most would like to see is an open RGB keyboard API, kind of like OpenAL but for RGB effects. :) Right now the RGB keyboard software scene is so small and fragmented that none of the vendors have any significant third party support...
I previously used a logitech G910 and while that one has an API for external programs, the only two programs I managed to find was a very basic spectrum visualizer plugin and the GTA5 effects.

I bought the Corsair mainly to type on cherry mx switches again but there's a lot of potential for becoming the good guys if you manage to standardize the method of dynamic effects across Razer, CM, Corsair and Logitech! I would love to see all sorts of awesome stuff like showing CPU use, framerate, temperatures as either color gradients, bars of light etc.

LUA scripting is well and good but if you can't feed it with data from an external process you will still be limited to advanced eyecandy instead of doing useful stuff like displaying alerts, cpu gauges and so on

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:35 PM
Deregistered User
Acesi7's PC Specs

POST ID # = 801400
Acesi7 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair James View Post
Who does this already, by the way?
Thanks for getting back to me.

The functionality I want to create exists currently in the SteelSeries 'Game Sense' engine. I didn't want to post it here in case it drove customers elsewhere. Very happy with my Corsair K95, just wish that some of the features that exist with GameSense could come to the Corsair equipment.

Specifically what I want to create is a timer that would show across the Function row, going from Green to Orange to Red.

The way it's executed by SteelSeries is different than what I'm asking from you guys, but it has the same end functionality. The SteelSeries solution gets the information from the Game (Once I code it), where as the Corsair solution I would trigger by pressing a key when I wish the timer to start.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:46 PM
BahamutxD's PC Specs

POST ID # = 805051
BahamutxD Reputation: 10

Start program minimized.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:02 AM
haz_mat's PC Specs

POST ID # = 805261
haz_mat Reputation: 10

Issue: Exported profiles with many modes can grow in size rapidly. A 24-mode K70 RGB profile can be around 1.1MB with only simple backlighting.

Suggested fix:
In the xml export, every mode has a duplicate list of entries for the key action mappings even if there are few or no changes from the default mode. If the default mode was treated as a global mode from where all other modes inherit their action maps, then only mode-specific differences would need to be stored. For the lighting maps, if we were able to create "global groups" in the default mode that all other modes could inherit, this would avoid needing to store duplicates of that group as well and only store mode-specific overrides similar to how the action mappings could be handled.

Alternate suggested fix:
Each mode stored in the exported file has an "assignments" group that determines the keystroke binding the following is an example for the "1" key:
Code:
<assigment key="1" action="{4a9f32a7-28e1-4987-9b09-31f1940d01a3}"/>
I can only assume this lengthy action code has some important need, but the problem this causes is when these bindings are duplicated across multiple modes with little or no changes. If this binding table could be globally applied with mode-specific overrides it could significantly cut down on the file size in profiles with many modes. Or perhaps assign those action codes some shorter-named symbols/variables so that when they need to be repetitively referenced the shorter names can be used instead. There might be a few ways to go about it but I don't know the mechanics of your software.

Granted this isn't a big problem issue, but I've seen some people experimenting with 30+ modes - and if we want to go crazy with modes that branch out for more variations we could be looking at 5-10MB easily. Still not that big of a deal in the era of multi-terabyte drives, 8 gigs of RAM as 'standard' and 20+mbit internet connections - but something to keep in mind going forward.

I'M A SPAMMER. PLEASE REPORT ME.//

Issue: Exporting and re-importing or duplicating a profile within CUE causes any changes to the default mode's action mappings to apply to all other modes, even when manually set otherwise. I ran into this issue when testing a profile I was planning on sharing, as I wanted to be sure it would import properly again (also important to be sure I could make a backup copy).

Reproduction steps:
1) In a fresh profile, add any number of extra modes. Two or three is enough to demonstrate the issue.

2) In the default mode (the first mode auto-created) set the following to any number of action mappings:
----Set key to jump directly to a specific mode that you added in the first step.
------Ex: "1" key set to jump to mode named "One" - "2" jumps to mode "Two" etc.
----Be sure to uncheck "apply setting to same button/key in current profile" when adding each action binding
------This step is critical, otherwise all modes will get copies of the mode-switching keys

3) In the each of the modes that the default profile now links to, add the following action binding:
----Set scroll lock to jump directly to the default mode
----Also be sure to uncheck "apply to all" again to avoid over-riding the normal scroll-lock functionality in the default mode
----You could use some other key as the return button, such as the application key - just keep it consistent so its easy to use

4) You should now have a working "menu" where the default mode is able to jump to any number of sub-modes and each of those sub-modes are able to return to the menu via scroll lock. Color-coordinating these can make it easier to navigate, but the idea is simple enough.

5) Duplicate the profile or export/import as duplicate, then check the action bindings for any of the submodes in the new copy. You will notice that the bindings in the default mode have overridden all other modes, not the behavior originally set in the profile. However, any unchanged action mappings in the default mode will not override the other modes, so the sub-modes retain their scroll-lock return setting.

Workaround:
Avoid applying any mappings in the default mode you do not wish automatically override any other mode. In my example, I was able to use the default mode as a sub-mode and use an added mode as the menu. However, the scroll-lock return was still applied to all other modes including the menu mode, so while in the menu scroll-lock just tells it to go to itself which is not normally allowed behavior. This effectively breaks the potential use of that key for its default behavior in the menu mode.

Exporting+importing or duplicating the profile causes the issue, so the problem might actually happen when the profile is created upon import. Attached is my example setup, but upon importing it you should see the error already. You can still reproduce the issue by manually restoring the default action bindings for the 1-3 keys in each of the red, green, and blue modes to restore the original menu behavior. Then just duplicate or export/import it again and look at your new copy.
Attached Files
File Type: prf Loopback test.prf (195.9 KB, 138 views)

Last edited by haz_mat; 09-06-2015 at 03:22 AM.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:48 AM

POST ID # = 805392
Weave Reputation: 10

I vote for a tick box to preserve the keys default function when assigning a mode or profile change.

This would allow us to easily switch modes on holding the Shift or CTRL Keys without loosing its functionality.

A simple check box in the Mode Selection/Switching screen would be sufficient for a first quick win in my point of view.
As an alternative you could allow mode/profile switching task in makros.

This missing feature limits the use of the RGB Keyboards with Photoshop and other professional software with multi layer key assignments.

Kind regards,

Weave

Last edited by Weave; 09-07-2015 at 04:55 AM.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:36 AM
βetα Nayn Cat

POST ID # = 805426
Inheritance Reputation: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weave View Post
I vote for a tick box to preserve the keys default function when assigning a mode or profile change.

This would allow us to easily switch modes on holding the Shift or CTRL Keys without loosing its functionality.

A simple check box in the Mode Selection/Switching screen would be sufficient for a first quick win in my point of view.
As an alternative you could allow mode/profile switching task in makros.

This missing feature limits the use of the RGB Keyboards with Photoshop and other professional software with multi layer key assignments.

Kind regards,

Weave
it can be done right now with this guide, http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=780724

they are looking in to making it a built in feature.
Corsair USER Forums is NOT Corsair Tech Support

Old 09-08-2015, 08:38 AM
haz_mat's PC Specs

POST ID # = 805578
haz_mat Reputation: 10

I had another idea, for the lighting effect editor I think it would be useful to have an option to delay a lighting effect by x seconds only once when the profile is started. With all repeating effects tied to the same starting point, even if you have overlapping effects of different time lengths they will eventually reach the starting pattern again leaving a gap between waves for example. A one-time configurable delay-at-start would be a good way to solve that issue.

EDIT: CUE's macro editor already has a feature for generating a random delay within a certain range - this could also be really useful in making lighting effects seem more random and quirky if we could inject random delays before repeating certain effects.

Last edited by haz_mat; 09-08-2015 at 08:46 AM.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:50 AM

POST ID # = 805821
slumlord Reputation: 10

I have a non-lighting idea:

I remap one profile to dvorak so I can change layouts with a visual indication (it works great, super happy about it) BUT remapping each key is a huge PITA.

If I could just pick a layout from a dropdown, or an easier way to change each key than right-click->assign key->pick keylayout type-> pick key (especially annoying when you're remapping []/=-;)

It's not the end of the world, but takes 10 minutes when it should take 3 secs (dropdown) to 1 min (easier ui) - you should only have to do it once - but somehow I've had to re-set it up 3 times since I got the rgb

Old 09-14-2015, 05:23 AM

POST ID # = 806557
HAse_ONE Reputation: 10

I would love a sleepmode for the lighting.

I just bought a Logitech G502 and in the software is a checkbox for sleepmode for lighting with a changeable timer. So for example, i set it to 15 mins and if i dont make any input on my PC the lights on my mouse switch off and back on if i make any input.

If i watch a movie or something i dont need lights on my keyboard and the lights can be very distracting if the room is dark.