The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Corsair Link

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 10-20-2017, 04:31 PM

POST ID # = 923952
amurph0 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair Dustin View Post
The limit was raised to 96 to support the new LL fans (6x16), but the limits were in place in the firmware for a reason.
Hi Dustin.

So is there still no fix to the flickering issue with the Commander Mini two years after the issue was raised?

Also I bought my Commander Mini about a year ago and I always assumed the flickering was due to cheap third party LED's I was using. So, earlier today, before I saw the issue being reported here on this forum I went onto the Corsair Store UK and bought the official 2x LED strips with extensions from the store, thinking that would resolve the issue.

Right after making the order I received an email stating that my order was "on hold, pending further review". And that in order to proceed with the order I need to call a web store representative in the US.

Don't you agree that it is a bit ridiculous that a customer has to jump through hoops and make an international call to the US from Europe just to make an order from an online store in Europe?

I spoke to a live chat agent earlier and they did not provide any help. They just kept telling me to call the number, no reason as to why I must call the number, just that I had to call it. The agent provided no further assistance. I asked the agent if I could cancel the order because I didn't want to make an international call and they told me in order to cancel I need to call the number...

I understand that you can call the number for free via Skype. But a customer shouldn't have to jump through even more hoops and install 3rd party software and create an account for that software just to contact a web store to make an order.

I have created a ticket raising the issue and if they say it cannot be resolved without calling that number then I will be requesting for them to cancel the order. If they then tell me that I have to call the number in order to cancel then I will raise the issue with Paypal's resolution team.

My first Corsair product was a H100 I bought in 2011 for my first PC. I've bought a good few Corsair products since then, and was always led to believe that Corsair was a reputable manufacturer. But today I started to think back to that H100 and I realised that I've actually had problems with every single Corsair product I have ever bought bar a HX1000w PSU and my current 400C case. Everything else, from my M65 mouse with a broken middle button, to the H100 that had to be replaced by a H100i due to pump issues, which in turn had to be replaced by a H100i V2 also due to pump issues, to failing PSU's, has had problems.

And after all that I learn from here that the flickering is due to Corsair not bothering to fix the firmware in the Commander Mini, and the LED strips that I ordered aren't even going to fix the problem anyway.

I'm building a new PC next month and had been planning on using Corsair parts for that PC, including an RMi750w PSU, Corsair LPX DDR4 RAM and the new RGB fans, but upon looking back on my history with Corsair products, as well as Corsair's lacklustre customer support, I think I'll look to other brands from now on. I'll be making sure to avoid Corsair products in the future and I'll be sharing my experiences with others that I know and recommending that they do the same.

And due to the fact that my H100i v2 is out of warranty (from the original H100 i bought in 2011), I will consider selling it and replacing it with a more reputable brand as I do not trust the product to hold up.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:43 PM
Paul S's PC Specs

POST ID # = 923961
Paul S Reputation: 10

You could fit these led strips to the back of your monitor for ambient lighting, if corsair updated their software to work like philips ambi-light televisions that would be very cool, i mean whilst gaming change the light colours to whatever is the dominant colour showing on the screen automatically.

RGB is RGB only differences can be pin-outs of the strip, this can easily be rectified with a soldering iron and some cat5 cable.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:48 PM
Corsair Employee
Corsair Dustin's PC Specs

POST ID # = 923964
Corsair Dustin Reputation: 41

I'm sorry you've had such bad experiences with our hardware and products and I totally understand where you're coming from.

Unfortunately, the Commander Mini's firmware issues won't and actually can't be fixed. We don't control the firmware for Commander Mini and are at the mercy of the vendor. If the vendor decides they don't feel like updating the firmware for the product, we're SOL. This is actually why Commander PRO exists - we control the firmware on that product precisely so we can avoid the pitfalls that Commander Mini ran into.

And you're right. You shouldn't have to call the number. If anything, we should be calling you. If you have a ticket number, PM it to me and I can have one of our customer service representatives reach out to you specifically and try to get things straightened out. We're going into the weekend so it may not be immediate, but I can make sure someone gets back to you sometime within the next few days.

Since the Commander Mini itself is the issue, in your case I'd request a Commander PRO to replace the Mini and RGB PRO LED strips instead of the RGB strips you originally ordered. Tell the representative to contact Dustin Sklavos with questions.

Please do not send private messages requesting tech support or trouble shooting. You can create a thread and let the solution to your issue be visible to everyone, or alternatively, work directly with tech support by contacting them here.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:49 PM
Paul S's PC Specs

POST ID # = 923965

so how does the node control 4 separate strips if theyre all connected together in a daisy chain?

Old 10-20-2017, 06:31 PM

POST ID # = 923975

Quote:
I'm sorry you've had such bad experiences with our hardware and products and I totally understand where you're coming from.

Unfortunately, the Commander Mini's firmware issues won't and actually can't be fixed. We don't control the firmware for Commander Mini and are at the mercy of the vendor. If the vendor decides they don't feel like updating the firmware for the product, we're SOL. This is actually why Commander PRO exists - we control the firmware on that product precisely so we can avoid the pitfalls that Commander Mini ran into.

And you're right. You shouldn't have to call the number. If anything, we should be calling you. If you have a ticket number, PM it to me and I can have one of our customer service representatives reach out to you specifically and try to get things straightened out. We're going into the weekend so it may not be immediate, but I can make sure someone gets back to you sometime within the next few days.

Since the Commander Mini itself is the issue, in your case I'd request a Commander PRO to replace the Mini and RGB PRO LED strips instead of the RGB strips you originally ordered. Tell the representative to contact Dustin Sklavos with questions.
Thank you for understanding my position. It is reassuring that there's at least one person at Corsair that has customers in mind. I will send the ticket and order details to you via PM. Thanks.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:36 PM
Paul S's PC Specs

POST ID # = 924061

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skcorpion86 View Post
Does any RGB LEDs work with corsair link? I know I can buy the corsair link lighting kit and get 3 strips of leds, but what if I want more than 3 strips, could I just buy some more strips from somewhere else?

And do I have to have the Corsair commander mini to get LED's to work with corsair link in sync with my 100i LED?

Thanks for the help....
Not sure because the corsair strips are digital not analog and also are 5v dc

Old 12-16-2017, 01:04 PM

POST ID # = 930816

Quote:

Hi Dustin

It has been nearly two months since I first brought up this issue and after long delays of my ticket being ignored on the Corsair Support website, and having to contact live chat multiple times just to get someone to look at my ticket, I finally received the Corsair Commander PRO last week as a replacement for the Commander Mini that I sent for RMA.

There were no LED strips included with the Commander PRO, even though I was told specifically by customer support multiple times that the Corsair PRO RGB strips would be included.

Now, just a few days ago I received another package from Corsair. In it was a zip lock bag with two LED strips. No branding or anything. It looks like they just threw some old ones into a box and sent them.

And guess what. They aren't even the RGB Pro LEDs. So they don't work with the Commander PRO because the connector is different.

I don't think I'll even bother going to the effort of updating my ticket regarding it or contacting live chat. Because I doubt anything will be done by them to remedy it.

I don't think I'll even bother installing the Commander Pro now either after the experience I've had with Corsair support I think I'll just try and sell it on and buy an NZXT Hue+ instead, or try and use the built in ASUS Aura software on my motheboard. As for the LED strips, I think I'll just throw them in the bin.

This has been a total failure of customer support by Corsair, and I don't think I'll be buying anything else from Corsair in the future.

Last edited by amurph0; 12-18-2017 at 12:10 PM.

Old 12-18-2017, 04:34 PM
Corsair Employee
Corsair Dustin's PC Specs

POST ID # = 931061
Corsair Dustin Reputation: 41

That's absolutely ridiculous and you're right to be ticked, I'd feel the same way in your position. Let me contact customer service and see what the heck happened here. At the very least we'll get you the CORRECT LED kit.

But having to wait 11 days to even hear back? That's not acceptable at all.

Please do not send private messages requesting tech support or trouble shooting. You can create a thread and let the solution to your issue be visible to everyone, or alternatively, work directly with tech support by contacting them here.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:56 PM
Yetti's PC Specs

POST ID # = 938312
Yetti Reputation: 10

If you are considering this with the newer Commander Pro & Lighting Node Pro.. I believe work on 5 volts not 12...you certainly don't want 12v retuning back to either of these products.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:59 PM
Yetti's PC Specs

POST ID # = 938313
Yetti Reputation: 10

If you are considering this with the newer Commander Pro & Lighting Node Pro.. I believe work on 5 volts not 12 as mentioned above..you certainly don't want 12v retuning back to either of these products.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:10 PM

POST ID # = 985595
Staafe Reputation: 10

Will this strip work with Commander pro?

http://www.phanteks.com/PH-DRGBLED_CMBO.html

Old 12-15-2018, 07:24 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 985602
DevBiker Reputation: 83

Yes, it will. In fact, I have two of them connected to a Lighting Node Pro. You will, however, need an adapter - either Corsair => JST (which is the native Phanteks connection) or Corsair => Aura (these strips ship with an Aura => JST adapter).

If you want to build your own cables, you can check out http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=174759.

Or if you just want to buy them, you can get them here: https://www.ebay.com/str/piratedogtech.

EDIT: Note that you're limited to two strips per lighting channel. More than that an you're risking a blown fuse. Which would be bad.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Last edited by DevBiker; 12-15-2018 at 07:30 PM.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:49 PM

POST ID # = 985619
Staafe Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBiker View Post
Yes, it will. In fact, I have two of them connected to a Lighting Node Pro. You will, however, need an adapter - either Corsair => JST (which is the native Phanteks connection) or Corsair => Aura (these strips ship with an Aura => JST adapter).

If you want to build your own cables, you can check out http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=174759.

Or if you just want to buy them, you can get them here: https://www.ebay.com/str/piratedogtech.

EDIT: Note that you're limited to two strips per lighting channel. More than that an you're risking a blown fuse. Which would be bad.
Nice to hear that will work :). I´m gona drive only one strip per channel.

Corsair own strip its good but, I need more smoother light.

Thank you very much for your help!.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:05 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 985621
DevBiker Reputation: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staafe View Post
Nice to hear that will work :). I´m gona drive only one strip per channel.

Corsair own strip its good but, I need more smoother light.

Thank you very much for your help!.
No worries. Set up each Phanteks strip as 3 Corsair strips. Each one has 30 LEDs. I have mine outside the PC on the bottom ... so kinda accent lighting on the floor.

And they are SUPER-BRIGHT!

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:48 PM

POST ID # = 987297
CTOverton Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh_790 View Post
Sure.

Honestly I didnt even solder. these things run on such low power, I think they just need to not touch other wires or metal...

I just twisted the wires together and wrapped with electrical tape. I'm sure someone will give me crap about that, but seems to work fine.

Anyways, the setup:

The connector used on the mini and lighting node is called an I2C or IIC connector. These days I think they are used for Arduino devices mostly. It also happens to be the exact same connector as was used on the old audio cables you used to have to use to on IDE Optical drives before XP.

I happened to have a couple of these old audio cables still so that's what I used.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The cables I had had 1 thicker wire and two thinner ones, i took 2 cables apart so i could use the slightly thicker wire (one at each end x2 cables)

So i ended up with 4 of these:

[IMG][/IMG]

So, I remove the red and white wires, and put in the other 3 black wires, and connect some extra red, green, blue, and black wires that I had from an old motherboard front panel connector.

The result looks like this:
[IMG][/IMG]

Make sure you get the order right, Corsair is not using the standard order.

Corsair:

12v
B
R
G

Standard:

12v
G
R
B

Then i got a 5 meter spool of 5050 RGB LED lights from ebay, probably similar to what you are looking at, as well as a 10 pack of solderless connectors. Total cost about 25 bucks.

[IMG][/IMG]

Around the front of the case you need to connect the red, green, blue and black wires to one of the solderless connectors and connect the solderless connector to the led strip. I just cut one of the connectors in half.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Then around your case however you want, cutting custom lengths and using the solderless connectors where needed, corners etc.

[IMG][/IMG]

I need to stick some double sided tape on the solderless connectors so that they dont peel away but the end result works pretty well. Hopefully this helps.

[IMG][/IMG]
Don't know if you are still on this subject four years later but I was wondering if you have any idea if this could work with the Corsair Lighting-Node-PRO? This being becuase you said the LED strips standards are

Standard:

12v
G
R
B

The NZXT LEDs that come with the H700i case are four pin, but the Lighting Node Pro is only a three pin.

As well however, the LL120mm and LL140MM come with the "RGB Lighting Hub" to connect the fan LEDs and these are 4pin.

So... could you connect to either or these and how so?

Tags
100i, comander, corsair, led, link