The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 03:04 PM
SacredSoldier's PC Specs

POST ID # = 445013
SacredSoldier Reputation: 10

I have 8 gigs CMD4GX3M2B1600C8, another 8 of TR3X6G1600C8Ds- Both have failed in the span of 4 months, both running at stock speeds. one set running on a core i7 rig, and the other set on a 965 BE. On the core i7 2 sticks went bad... on the amd- I had another set of 8, and all of those went bad. Went through the RMA process... just like the corsair guy is saying...yellowbeard.

I keep seeing this mentality of, 1 or 2 % is acceptable considering the zillions of sticks of ram populating planet earth. Well, if you’re that 1 or 2 % you know how miserable it can be trying to figure out what the problem is, and how much extra money shipping is, and just the whole general pain.
This mentality says to me, you have to pay, to make sure something you paid for, is working. And that makes absolutely no sense to me.

There is obviously something wrong with the manufacturing, engineering, or testing of this ram. Whether it’s 1 % or 100 %.

I am in customer service, and am a Veteran of the US Army. We had a saying in the Army- Your platoon is only as strong as your weakest link and in customer service, one disgruntled customer should get the attention of 30 disgruntled customers.

I understand there are warranties, and the RMA process, but it’s ridiculous when your spending money more that ONCE to get something you paid for to work. It’s senseless.

In that context, Corsair should remember- One happy customer might bring you back another 1 or 2 customers, but 1 unhappy customer can send away 30.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:38 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 445021
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacredSoldier View Post
I have 8 gigs CMD4GX3M2B1600C8, another 8 of TR3X6G1600C8Ds- Both have failed in the span of 4 months, both running at stock speeds. one set running on a core i7 rig, and the other set on a 965 BE. On the core i7 2 sticks went bad... on the amd- I had another set of 8, and all of those went bad. Went through the RMA process... just like the corsair guy is saying...yellowbeard.

I keep seeing this mentality of, 1 or 2 % is acceptable considering the zillions of sticks of ram populating planet earth. Well, if you’re that 1 or 2 % you know how miserable it can be trying to figure out what the problem is, and how much extra money shipping is, and just the whole general pain.
This mentality says to me, you have to pay, to make sure something you paid for, is working. And that makes absolutely no sense to me.

There is obviously something wrong with the manufacturing, engineering, or testing of this ram. Whether it’s 1 % or 100 %.

I am in customer service, and am a Veteran of the US Army. We had a saying in the Army- Your platoon is only as strong as your weakest link and in customer service, one disgruntled customer should get the attention of 30 disgruntled customers.

I understand there are warranties, and the RMA process, but it’s ridiculous when your spending money more that ONCE to get something you paid for to work. It’s senseless.

In that context, Corsair should remember- One happy customer might bring you back another 1 or 2 customers, but 1 unhappy customer can send away 30.
I think you are reading something into what we say about that 1%-2% that is not what we are suggesting. Due to the nature of electronics, ANY electronic device made anywhere at any time is going to have a minimum of a 1%-2% failure rate. This is absolutely unavoidable and has nothing to do with our quality control or manufacturing standards.

If a manufacturer of semiconductors or electronic components such as capacitors make 1000 units, 10-20 will fail, no matter what. Consider that there are 8 or 16 RAMS along with other components on each PCB.

Remember, even ball peen hammers can be defective. So, when you combine multiple electronic components onto a PCB, your chances for defects on a single memory module increase with every one of them. Our QC and testing procedures are second to none in this industry and we catch most of the bad stuff. However, no procedure is perfect and it's impossible to predict if a specific part will fail after our internal testing.

So, the only thing we can do after the sale is to offer the most pain free speedy replacement process we can. That said, I have been OCing and punishing memory of varying brands for almost 10 years. I have not had 6 dead modules in that entire period all added together including those that I froze with DICE cooling. You may have some external factor causing your issues if you have 6 dead modules in 4 months.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:20 PM
SacredSoldier's PC Specs

POST ID # = 445043

I thought the same thing... What defies your rationalization is that I am operating these modules on 2 different rigs, in the same house hold, with 2 different processors, on 2 different mainboards, with 2 different psus... heck let’s just add in 2 different cases for good measure. I am not an expert, and I do not overclock, I just wanted to get the cream of the crop components for my 2 builds, and me telling you about 6 modules going bad in the same household should only raise your concern regarding the two nomenclatures I’ve provided.
We can blame other components all day long... user error... or the weather outside to justify why these ram modules are failing. Why not accept blame instead? For the customers sake.
I’m sure you have an idea what type of person is involved in the culture of self built computers... not all are like this, but you know as well as I do, a lot of us are very methodical and thorough. I’m not a 16 year old kid throwing together a system I bought with mom and dad’s money. You can rest assured I’ve factored in all your points, and none of them apply here, and I bet to a lot of the post in this thread.
And in fact sir, they did fail, on 2 different machines. I don’t know what batch you’re pulling from to do your testing, and honestly I don’t care. What I do care about is the modules being supplied to me through purchasing have been bad, and yes, they’ve been replaced 26 dollars later.
I am no expert like I said... but I would not say I’m a beginner to say the least. I am mechanically inclined and understand basic to advanced principles in this field.
What matters the most is that you have a customer, who is working hard for money, that we are using to pay for a product your company is selling. There should come a point, and quite understandably at Corsairs discretion where enough is enough, and either the ram should be replaced entirely- whether it’s through exchanging to a different type, or upgraded, or the money should be refunded.
To use this 1 to 2 % ideology is just absurd. And anyway, if it is only the "1 to 2 percent", how hard would it be for Corsair to do that?

Old 03-24-2010, 04:37 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 445046
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46

I'm not giving you a rationalization or an ideology to use your terms. I suggested that that you MAY have some external factor contributing to these failures. I did not question your abilities because I don't know what they are. You may be a more qualified hardware tech than I am and I would NEVER in any event belittle a person's skills or lack thereof.

As for ideology, this is not something Corsair has dreamed up. This is a verifiable and unavoidable fact of the semiconductor industry. It affects EVERY facet of the entire electronics industry. If semiconductor manufacturing and the subsequent manufacturing of items using them were perfect, we would not need warranties.

Other than our warranty replacement and offer of technical support I don't know what else you want or what else to offer you. Are you having difficulties getting your memory replaced? I am trying to help here but I need to understand what you want.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:02 PM
SacredSoldier's PC Specs

POST ID # = 445048

Neither. I appreciate your points. I have gone through the RMA process twice. And the failures have been varified through your own Technical Support, and RMA process.

If you wanted to know what I, or and once again id be willing to bet a lot of others from this thread and thoughout the web, well that would be easy.

The answer to that is simply satisfaction.
You have resources, and time at your disposal, i mean, this is your job. Others do not have such resources at their disposal. Sending in bad RAM takes time. Shuts you down, cuts down productivity.

So if you wanted to know, in your terms- what I want- is satisfaction. Not the looming possibilty that some day, these modules may fail again before you'd expect with the 250 dollar pricetag. People buy Corsair products for a reason. Corsair has a reputation. We want to be able to have faith in it.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:17 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 445050
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Let's get them both replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Old 05-13-2010, 11:27 AM
SacredSoldier's PC Specs

POST ID # = 450963

Hey RamGuy and yellowbeard... you guys, i swear i have tried every which way to trouble shoot my rig EXTENSIVELY. I finally broke down and decided to try the and see if the ram was the problem again. This would be my second build that has ran into ram problems. Ive tried everything. different video card, different power supply, different hard disk, and even a different cpu.

This is the rig:
asus p6t v2 deluxe bios 1003
corsair 950 psu
geforce 9800gt x2 SLIed
8 gigs of dominator
liteon dvd writer
windows 7 64 bit

Whats happening is just like on another rig i built with dominator- It freezes- No BSOD, no reboot, just your plan old freeze. On the other rig- the problem resolved once my ram was replaced via RMA directly through corsair.

Now 5 months later, this rig, that was built around the same time is doing the same thing. The ram that used to build both of these machines came from 2 8 gig kits i bought from new egg.

Long story short, i have tried the ram in 2, 4, 6, 8 gig configs, and no matter which stick or what amount, it freezes intermittently. Having had gone through all this trouble shooting everything points to the ram.

The problem i have is that it seems these sticks have all the same timings, and voltages- Which i ahve been running all at the specified numbers, aside from the voltage, as you can only run it at 1.66 or 1.64- im sure you guys know this.

However, after looking at the nomenclatures, it seems that 2 modules have the cmd designation, and the other 2 are the trx designation.

Is this the root of all my trouble? the different nomenclatures? with all the same same timings?
or does it not matter?

eitherway, the modules are bad, cause its freezing up whether its 1 module or all of them...

i need to RMA these modules, and the question i have is if i do, is there anyway for them to send me back a set of all the EXACT same numbers?

I think they might have gotten mixed up when i had to RMA some of them from the original 2 kits that was 16gb total.

But when i RMA them back, is there anyway to assure that all the modules will match up?

Old 05-13-2010, 11:29 AM
SacredSoldier's PC Specs

POST ID # = 450964

forgot to mention its a core i7 920 too