Corsair Community

Unable to change rpm on sp120/h100i v2 combo

DvdG

So I just installed an h100i v2 and replaced the default fans with sp120s to match my system. (looks awesome, I'm very satisfied)

Just one problem, in Corsair link, when I change the rpm preset or make a custom one and hit apply, nothing changes. The rpm stay the same at 1400 which is quite loud.

The bios controls don't work either.

Is this a bug or is it because Corsair Link doesn't work with SP120s?

What's the workaround for this? Do I have to plug the fans directly into the motherboard using a splitter? If so, which header will allow the fans to adapt to cpu temps? cpu_fan, pump_fan or sys_fan? I'm a bit confused as you can see :confused:

The SP120s are DC-controlled fans ... they alter speed by changing the amount of voltage that is applied to the fan.

The H100i v2 will only control PWM (4 pin) fans.

Yeah ... I tried that too so I know the feeling. The ML fans are an excellent replacement for the stock fans; they are PWM, much, much quieter than the stock fans and perform just as well. Yeah, they are expensive but with the Mag Lev bearing, they should last nearly forever ... there's no physical contact/friction to wear down the bearing like you'll see in traditional fans.

The SP120s are DC-controlled fans ... they alter speed by changing the amount of voltage that is applied to the fan.

The H100i v2 will only control PWM (4 pin) fans.

Yeah ... I tried that too so I know the feeling. The ML fans are an excellent replacement for the stock fans; they are PWM, much, much quieter than the stock fans and perform just as well. Yeah, they are expensive but with the Mag Lev bearing, they should last nearly forever ... there's no physical contact/friction to wear down the bearing like you'll see in traditional fans.

*sigh* that's a bummer

If I get the rgb ones, will colour customization work even though I will plug them into the same hub that my SPs are plugged into?

And a side question assuming you have MLs and SPs running in the same build. Can you at least get the MLs to have the same colour as the SPs with enough tweaking in Corsair Link? Or is the Link customization not detailed enough to achieve this effect?

If you have the Commander pro you could hook the fans up to that and tell it they are 3 Pin fans.. link them to liquid temp.. job done.

If you dont have one.... now's your chance to rectify your past wrongs and get one lol.. :D :D

Can you elaborate a little? I'm new to this.

You're saying I can install a commander pro, hook up the fans, and then how do I adjust the rpm?

The issue is the fan controller on the H100i v2 (and every other AIO w/ an onboard controller) is PWM and thus cannot control 3 pin DC fans. You can always plug those into your motherboard and utilize its control options. However, the coolant temperature of the H100i v2 will not be one of the choices and your board can't read it. Usually you have to go with CPU temp and the rather dynamic nature of the fan speed changes can be an irritant.

The proposed solution is to get a Commander Pro, which is a Corsair 6 fan hub, 4 temp probes, and provides an interface with the Link software for both connected fans and greatly enhances the control options on the HD and other RGB fan lighting patterns. Since the C-Pro integrates with Link (unlike your motherboard), it can use coolant temp as the control variable for radiator or any other fans. Regardless of variable choice, this gives you desktop fan control over the whole system in a program you will be using anyway to manage to the cooler.

Can you elaborate a little? I'm new to this.

You're saying I can install a commander pro, hook up the fans, and then how do I adjust the rpm?

The fans would be plugged in to the Commander Pro. You would then be able to set your fan curves in Commander Pro and link them to your coolant temperature using Corsair Link. Since the C-Pro handles both PWM and DC fans, you'd be able to control the fans.

The C-Pro would also control other fans in your case and also provides 4 temperature sensors so that you can monitor temperatures in various locations as well as control your fans my the temperature sensors on the C-Pro. This gives you finer control over fans based something other than CPU temperature.

While that's an option, I do think your better option would be to get a couple of the really super excellent ML fans for your radiator. They are better fans than the SP series, push more air, have a wider control range and are quieter. (Can you tell I'm a fan of the ML fans?) You could then use the SP fans elsewhere. I put mine in my hard drive cages. You could still use the C-Pro to a) control the case fans and b) provide 2 additional USB 2.0 interior connections.

The fans would be plugged in to the Commander Pro. You would then be able to set your fan curves in Commander Pro and link them to your coolant temperature using Corsair Link. Since the C-Pro handles both PWM and DC fans, you'd be able to control the fans.

The C-Pro would also control other fans in your case and also provides 4 temperature sensors so that you can monitor temperatures in various locations as well as control your fans my the temperature sensors on the C-Pro. This gives you finer control over fans based something other than CPU temperature.

While that's an option, I do think your better option would be to get a couple of the really super excellent ML fans for your radiator. They are better fans than the SP series, push more air, have a wider control range and are quieter. (Can you tell I'm a fan of the ML fans?) You could then use the SP fans elsewhere. I put mine in my hard drive cages. You could still use the C-Pro to a) control the case fans and b) provide 2 additional USB 2.0 interior connections.

Thanks for all the info!

Seeing as how I don't really care about being able to control the case fans and I also don't have a use for those extra usb headers, I think the best option for me is to get 2 ML120s (rgb).

Just to be clear, will I be able to customize the colour on the MLs considering the fact that they will plug into the same standard hub that my SPs are plugged into? And do the ML's have a wide range of colours, would I be able to match the colour of the SPs?

The issue is the fan controller on the H100i v2 (and every other AIO w/ an onboard controller) is PWM and thus cannot control 3 pin DC fans. You can always plug those into your motherboard and utilize its control options. However, the coolant temperature of the H100i v2 will not be one of the choices and your board can't read it. Usually you have to go with CPU temp and the rather dynamic nature of the fan speed changes can be an irritant.

The proposed solution is to get a Commander Pro, which is a Corsair 6 fan hub, 4 temp probes, and provides an interface with the Link software for both connected fans and greatly enhances the control options on the HD and other RGB fan lighting patterns. Since the C-Pro integrates with Link (unlike your motherboard), it can use coolant temp as the control variable for radiator or any other fans. Regardless of variable choice, this gives you desktop fan control over the whole system in a program you will be using anyway to manage to the cooler.

Thanks for all the info. Going for the C-Pro instead of 2 MLs would save a lot of money... hmm tough decision...

Okay I'm actually leaning towards the Commander Pro now but I have more questions.

All the 6 fan power cables go into the Commander instead of the motherboard, correct?

Do the led cables also go into the Commander or do I still need the standard node for that? Does the standard node plug straight into the Commander, no other components required?

And to be clear, with the Commander I will be able to adjust rpm curves on my SP120s even though they are DCs and not PWMs?

Okay I'm actually leaning towards the Commander Pro now but I have more questions.

All the 6 fan power cables go into the Commander instead of the motherboard, correct?

Do the led cables also go into the Commander or do I still need the standard node for that? Does the standard node plug straight into the Commander, no other components required?

And to be clear, with the Commander I will be able to adjust rpm curves on my SP120s even though they are DCs and not PWMs?

First, not sure if the C-Pro would save you money. You can get 2 ML fans for $33 ... https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Premium-Magnetic-Levitation-2-Pack/dp/B01G5I6MRK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512105699&sr=8-1&keywords=corsair+ml+120.

The fan power cables can go to the C-Pro. To control the SP120s based on the coolant temperature, those would absolutely have to go to the C-Pro. Any others are optional. Note that you would need to run Link all the time for this to work as well. And yes, you absolutely can control DC fans with the Commander Pro.

And ... you have the SP120 RGB fans? Not just the straight SP-120's? Not that it makes a difference here; even the SP120 RGB fans are DC. Assuming that you are talking about the LED controls for the SP120 RGB fans, you would still need to have the RGB Fan Controller; this would then plug in to the Commander Pro; it has the functionality of the Lighting Node Pro. This would be used in lieu of the push-button controller that ships with the SP120 RGB Fans.

Something like this (again, assuming you have the SP120 RGB LED fans):

Drawing928531-1.png?psid=1

First, not sure if the C-Pro would save you money. You can get 2 ML fans for $33 ... https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Premium-Magnetic-Levitation-2-Pack/dp/B01G5I6MRK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512105699&sr=8-1&keywords=corsair+ml+120.

The fan power cables can go to the C-Pro. To control the SP120s based on the coolant temperature, those would absolutely have to go to the C-Pro. Any others are optional. Note that you would need to run Link all the time for this to work as well. And yes, you absolutely can control DC fans with the Commander Pro.

And ... you have the SP120 RGB fans? Not just the straight SP-120's? Not that it makes a difference here; even the SP120 RGB fans are DC. Assuming that you are talking about the LED controls for the SP120 RGB fans, you would still need to have the RGB Fan Controller; this would then plug in to the Commander Pro; it has the functionality of the Lighting Node Pro. This would be used in lieu of the push-button controller that ships with the SP120 RGB Fans.

Something like this (again, assuming you have the SP120 RGB LED fans):

Drawing928531-1.png?psid=1

Yeah I noticed how expensive the Commander is, but assuming it does it's job well, it's worth it to me.

Can Corsair Link minimise to tray on Windows startup? This is not a deal breaker at all, far from it, but I would really appreciate this detail...

Anyway thanks for the info, I'm ordering the commander.

The not-starting-minimized issue is a known bug introduced in the last version. You can install an earlier version, wait for the next release or manually edit the registry.

And the Commander does do its job well. Overall, I'm quite happy with mine and likely to get another one for a second system. :-)

As I understand it, no, the Commander Pro would replace the buttons from your case and be connected to your RGB Fan hub. It would give you the functionality of the Lighting Node Pro, giving you more options for controlling the LEDs. Again, as I understand it, the buttons on the case simply mimic the push-button controller that ships with the SP120 and HD120 multi-packs.

Okay, it's not a big deal but it does seem a little lazy of Corsair to completely ignore the buttons on the case after installing this commander ''pro''. The lighting controller can plug right into the commander so why don't they throw a little programming at it and make it work? I digress, thanks for the answer.

Well, you can keep your RGB Fan Hub hooked up to the case switches if you like. It's just that it's an either-or ... the RGB Fan Hub only takes one input. That can come from EITHER the Commander Pro OR the case switches/push button controller. Totally up to you. Again, based on my understanding, using the Commander Pro gives you more flexibility and options with your lighting.

If it took both ... what would it do when the two are in conflict with each other?

Archived