Corsair Community

LL120 on asus motherboard with no lightning node pro

LTK9999

Hello , i m new to this forum and not sure if this is the right place to post this question.

I bought 1 LL120 fan to test it in my build with an asus motherboard and it s showing weird colours.

On my other computer which have an msi motherboard the default rainbow shows perfectly fine and is beautiful!

is there a way to display the default rainbow on an asus motherboard and without using the lightning node pro?

note : i ve tried to uninstall aura and reboot and while the default rainbows on my trident Z work just fine , the LL120 is still messy.

At a minimum, you would need a Lighting Node Pro for RGB effects on your fan. It does concern me that you say "it's showing weird colours". Where exactly have you plugged in the RGB connector into on your ASUS motherboard?

Also, the RGB FAQ below is always a good read:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

Edited by Johnny_B500

If you put the LL fan on a 4-pin header on the Asus motherboard, you're gonna need a new fan. The Asus 4-pin headers provide 12V of data. The Corsair RGB fans use 5V. Putting 12V of power through a 5V LED has negative consequences for the longevity of the LEDs.

@devbiker thanks for the info, i did not know about the 5V and 12V differences.... how the heck is this information not more visible ??? when did they think it was a good idea to have the same connector with different voltage.... so basicaly, if you buy an asus mobo you are stuck to only using aura peripherals ? oO;

the lightning node pro will connect on USB or sata i guess ?

i m checking all over the LL120 box and nowhere it s written the rgb connector requires 5V max , same on the specs on corsair website. i mean the information must be somewhere.

@johnny_b500 like i said, the LL120 displays perfectly fine on another computer that uses an MSI motherboard. so i guess you dont need the lightning node pro at minimum , if you wanna see the default rainbow, that is. at least on a non asus motherboard;

as for the colours, basicaly , on MSI motherboard i get perfect default rainbow. on asus Z270f i get a few colours here and there (all leds working fine).

I was connecting it to the top right RGB header. but after being informed of the 12V/5V difference i m just disconnecting it until i recieve a lightning node pro.

thank you guys for your help.

like i said, the LL120 displays perfectly fine on another computer that uses an MSI motherboard. so i guess you dont need the lightning node pro at minimum , if you wanna see the default rainbow, that is. at least on a non asus motherboard;

as for the colours, basicaly , on MSI motherboard i get perfect default rainbow. on asus Z270f i get a few colours here and there (all leds working fine).

I was connecting it to the top right RGB header. but after being informed of the 12V/5V difference i m just disconnecting it until i recieve a lightning node pro.

Without your system specs for either of your setups, I'm going to take a wild guess that your MSI board has the JCORSAIR1 header and a section from your motherboards user manual will probably read something like below:

"The JCORSAIR1 connector can be used to connect the CORSAIR

Individually Addressable RGB LED strips 5V or CORSAIR RGB LED fans, and control the RGB effects with MSI’s software".

Good luck once you get your NoPro and I hope you get things successfully figured out.

@devbiker thanks for the info, i did not know about the 5V and 12V differences.... how the heck is this information not more visible ??? when did they think it was a good idea to have the same connector with different voltage....

It's NOT the same connector. It has the same number of pins but the 4-pin Aura connector does not have a latch, does not have a housing, does not clip in; it is held with friction. Furthermore, it has round pins for the square pins on the Corsair (Molex SL) connector.

so basicaly, if you buy an asus mobo you are stuck to only using aura peripherals ? oO;

You can use any standard 5050 12V RGB with the Asus Aura connector. And there are a ton of Aura-compatible devices out there for both 12V and 5V.

the lightning node pro will connect on USB or sata i guess ?

It uses USB for control, SATA for power. You'll need both.

i m checking all over the LL120 box and nowhere it s written the rgb connector requires 5V max , same on the specs on corsair website. i mean the information must be somewhere.

No, but it does say that it requires a Lighting Node Pro and RGB Fan LED Hub - essentially, use Corsair's system. It works with that. Using it with ANY other RGB system is NOT supported. Period. On the back of single fans it even says "RGB LED lighting requires a fan hub and a Corsair Lighting Node Pro that are available by purchasing a fan kit. This product is intended as an expansion of Corsair's LL120 RGB LED fan kits that include the Lighting Node Pro".

@johnny_b500 like i said, the LL120 displays perfectly fine on another computer that uses an MSI motherboard. so i guess you dont need the lightning node pro at minimum , if you wanna see the default rainbow, that is. at least on a non asus motherboard;

Some MSI motherboard have a JCORSAIR header that is designed to work with Corsair devices. However, these fans don't plug directly into the JCORSAIR header. You still need a fan hub.

I'm not sure how this would work. While the JRAINBOW header on an MSI motherboard could, potentially, drive an LL fan without damaging it (because it's 5V ... same as Aura Addressable for that matter), the pinouts are completely different. +5V and Ground are in the right place but the data control like is N/C on the JRAINBOW connector.

Probably wise.

thank you guys for your help.

No prob. Check out the RGB FAQ too. Lots of good info there. See my sig for the link.