The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Power Supplies

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2019, 11:33 AM
Hikyuuri's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1005371
Hikyuuri Reputation: 10
Default AX1200i random shutdowns with failure to restart

This just started happening to me yesterday after having this PC set up exactly the same for over a month now. The PC will randomly power down, then after a few seconds attempt to restart (fans start up, LEDs illuminate), but then immediately shut down again but only partially. It's almost like the 12V rail started, but then stopped within a second, but the 5V rail continues to run (2.5" HDDs keep spinning, but everything else stops). I have no fans, no lighting, nothing. The really odd part is the power button on my case will stay lit as if the computer is running, but it clearly isn't.

The only way to clear this issue is to turn off the switch on the PSU, wait a few seconds for the capacitors to discharge and power off, then turn it back on. It does not need to fully boot into Windows for this to happen either. I had it on the BIOS monitor screen to watch temperatures and voltages to see if I could find what the issue was, and even in the BIOS it did it after a few minutes. All voltages and temperatures looked good too.

I have so far found a way to keep the PC running though. If my PC does one of these faults and shuts down, but then successfully restarts without me needing to flip the switch, it will run seemingly fine as long as I want it to. But, if I have to flip the switch and restart it, it will fail within 30 minutes.

Load tests on my PC show no temperature issues or voltage issues, even with me pushing almost 700W through the PSU (CPU and both GPUs at full load), so it doesn't seem to be a voltage sag issue.

Probably going to open an RMA ticket with Corsair to swap the PSU out as at this point it seems to be the likely issue, especially since when it tries to restart my motherboard leaves the power LED lit even though there is no 12v rail. Plus, if I can make the PC reboot successfully after one of the failures it stays perfectly stable also seems to point more at the PSU than any other component.

Just wanted to post all that so if others are seeing similar issues, they can comment. I saw that people report similar issues in the AX860i, but not knowing exactly how similar these PSUs are (besides wattage, obviously), I didn't want to post a AX1200i issue in that thread.

Old 05-23-2019, 05:45 PM
Corsair Employee
Corsair Notepad's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1005505
Corsair Notepad Reputation: 10

I would recommend you contact our support team by opening a ticket at http://support.corsair.com

Old 06-02-2019, 11:32 AM
Hikyuuri's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1006621

It finally died today. Nothing I do will get it to power on for more than half a second.

Swapped it out with a spare PSU I have laying around, PC works fine. So, it is definitely the power supply.

I'm just going to return the power supply and go with a different company. I don't want to RMA a less than 2 month old PSU I got for $400 to get a refurbished one back (referb units are like $250, and my PSU did not depreciate $150 in 2 months).

Last edited by Hikyuuri; 06-11-2019 at 05:34 PM.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:00 PM
Corsair Employee
Corsair Notepad's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1006729
Corsair Notepad Reputation: 10

Who said anything about replacing it with a refurbished unit? It is always your choice to return it with the retailer but we don't replace new units with refurbished ones.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:30 PM
Hardcore Games
Vegan's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1007378
Vegan Reputation: 10

make sure your rig has adequate cooling to prevent the BIOS from thermal triggering a shutdown

Corsair SPEC-1 chassis with AX860i PSU

Hardcore Games - Legendary of the Only Way to Play

I have been a vegan since 1969. I have experienced more prejudice than anyone could possibly ever imagine.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:34 PM
Hikyuuri's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1007686

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair Notepad View Post
Who said anything about replacing it with a refurbished unit? It is always your choice to return it with the retailer but we don't replace new units with refurbished ones.
It was my understanding from others that Corsair replaces RMA equipment with refurbished equipment, not new. If that is not correct, then my appologies. I'm just basing off of what others have told me.

As for returning to the retailer, I can't do that any more, as it is outside their return window.

I am still waiting to hear from support on the RMA. It has been about a week now since I submitted my ticket though, and now that the system is in the process of being upgraded, I am unsure when to expect the replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
make sure your rig has adequate cooling to prevent the BIOS from thermal triggering a shutdown
I don't see how this can cause a power supply to straight up fail. Plus, the case is a Corsair case, which has a dedicated air intake for the PSU. Most of the time, the PSU was cool enough it didn't even need the fan, but I do know the fan worked as when gaming it did turn on.

Plus, now that I have taken the PSU out of the case in preparation for the RMA attempt, I have been able to test it with the self test button. I hear a couple relays click, and the fan twitches once, then it just stops. The test LED does not light, and nothing else happens. So, it is definitely a bad PSU.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:38 PM

POST ID # = 1008377
Forge64 Reputation: 10

Just FWIW, this seems to be a recurring issue with the AX1200i. I bought five of them about two years ago, and had 100% of them fail in this manner in one year or less. I actually replaced the unit in my main desktop with the TX750 it originally replaced, and it's running fine to this day. The four I used at work died one by one between 2 and 8 months of life. Those failures caused a business policy that Corsair power supplies were not authorized and explicitly forbidden. Honestly, I'd recommend saving yourself some time and grief, buy a different PSU, and throw the AX1200i away. Don't even bother RMAing, your replacement will end up dying the same way, maybe right away, maybe in a year or two, maybe letting the magic smoke out of some of your hardware when it does (Though I will agree that none of the copious reports show that, simply a variation on "it turned off on it's own and now turns off and on over and over in a loop, and self-test fails"). A few people have said things like "This is very rare" or "the odds against this are astronomical", but if you search Google you will see great numbers of reports with the same symptoms. The AX1200i works for anywhere from 0 minutes to just over a year, and then it powers off unexpectedly. It then progresses to it happening more and more often, and then it will fail entirely, causing a boot loop and various self-test light problems. This is not an isolated incident, I cannot locate anyone with an AX1200i that has been working for much over a single year. I am serious, and not exaggerating. My sample size is only about 100 people around the world, but *EVERY ONE* has had their PSU fail in a similar way.

A report from 2012, along with an absurd number of failed RMA replacements; http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=112526

A report from 2015; https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport...what_could_be/

Another 2015; http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137874

Here's two guys in one thread with this issue from 2016; https://forums.tomshardware.com/thre...upply.2813875/

Another 2016; https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/for...r-1-sec/page-2

And I replaced my personal AX1200i with the TX750 it was supposed to replace in late 2017. I purchased it October 22, 2016. The TX750 was purchased in 2011 if I recall correctly, and is in use to this day. To be clear, I'm not saying that 100% of the AX1200i supplies in the world are bad. That's clearly not the case. What I am saying is that a statistically significant number of AX1200i units are failing in the same or very similar ways, and Corsair has had a great number "returned for analysis" and the only solution ever offered is "open an RMA and replace the supply". Did Corsair ever figure out the issue???

Last edited by Forge64; 06-17-2019 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Revised and added restated conclusion/call for comment.