Corsair Community

RAM comatibility issues - same model number, different version

uk_mal

I've got 4 x 8GB sticks of Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 MHz that, until recently were all being detected fine. Recently I had to RMA two sticks as I was getting sporadic crashes that turned out to be due to faulty RAM. I now have two original sticks, and two new sticks

After getting my replacement back, I'm having real problems getting my BIOS / Windows to see it. Key points:

• BIOS and Windows doesn't usually see the RAM, however CPU-Z does see it
  • The BIOS will see the RAM if I turn the PC off by holding the power button. When I switch it on, I get an "Overclocking failed" message, and if I enter the BIOS from there, all four stick show up. However, if I save settings and restart, the two new sticks stop showing up again.
  • I've tried resetting the BIOS by restoring defaults from within the BIOS itself, as well as removing the CMOS battery, neither of which have solved the problem
  • Each stick works fine on its own
  • Each pair (ie new sticks or original sticks) work fine when used together without the other pair. However, if I add the second pair they are not recognised.

I've noticed that the version written on the sticks themselves are slightly different - one is 4.xx and the newer sticks are 5.xx (I don't remember the exact versions, sorry). Could that be it? Are the two sets incompatible, despite having exactly the same model number?

PC specs

- Asus x99-a II motherboard

- i7 6900K

- 32 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 MHz (8GB x 4)

- IChill Geforce 1080

I've noticed that the version written on the sticks themselves are slightly different - one is 4.xx and the newer sticks are 5.xx (I don't remember the exact versions, sorry). Could that be it?
Yes, it's never recommended to mix modules from different kits.

Archived