Corsair Community

Corsair Dominator CM2X1024-8500C5D

I was having problems with Vista with my memory set to SLI enabled(1066). Very randomly my computer would lock up, and I would have to hard reset. Sometimes it would happen 4 or 5 times a day. Sometimes only once a day. Sometimes this would happen with the computer at idle. After trying 100 different things, I have had my computer running stable for a week running 24/7 and not even putting my computer into sleep mode, once I set my memory to 800. All my drivers are up to date. The only thing I do not have the latest for, is my BIOS. I have Phoenix P30, but from reading other forums and seeing the problems people are having with P31... I am very hesitant in going to P31... unless there is a hard concrete fix for my specific problem.

• Corsair Employee
Please make sure that you load optimized defaults and set the Memory Voltage to 2.1 volts and then set the timings to 5-5-5-15 (CAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS) and then test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! Please allow memtest to run 2-3 passes on each module. If you still get errors, we will be happy to replace them! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

OK... I am figuring things out as I go along. When I select "SLI enabled memory" in BIOS.... I get the voltages and timings automatically set. They match exactly as you say. I will try to do the memtest, as soon as I figure out how to burn an "image" on a CD. Vista's memory diagnostics tool would not do the same test?

• Corsair Employee

I would recommend testing with manual settings. Leave SLI-Ready Disabled, just in case it is configuring something improperly. Load setup defaults and then input the settings from the previous post. Also, set Command Rate to 2T, and "mem clock mode" to "unlinked" and the "Mem DDR MHz" to "1066."

If you can not get memtest to work, the Microsoft test may provide some results as well. Just test the modules one at a time in the slot closest to the CPU.

OK... i could not figure out how to get the memtest to work after burning it on a CD. But here is some other information to add to before. When I used Vista's memory test, it would always lock up(tried 3 times) with memory at 1066.... thus I could never get final results of the test. No faults had been detected up to the point that the test locked up. The memory test passes both times I tried with memory set to 800. The test did not tell me use only one memory module at a time. So for the this first series of test, I had both modules installed.

Then I tried with only the module closest to the CPU(we can call this Module A). Reset the speed of the memory to 1066. I could never get into Windows to select the memory test. During boot, it would lock up or give me the blue window with memory faluts. So I tried only Module "B" in the slot closest to the CPU. Pretty much did the same thing. Once I set the speed to 800, I got into Windows. I selected the memory test and Module "B" passes.

So I tried Module "A" back into the slot closest to the CPU to see how it would work set at 800. I could not get into Windows. And it did alot of weird and different things that I am not even going to try to attempt to describe. I put only Module "B" back in, and now I can get into Vista.. but only with it set at 800. Again, when set to 1066 Module "B" will not boot into Windows.

So in conclusion:

1) With both modules installed and set to 1066, the memory test locks up.

2) With both modules installed and set to 800, the memory test passes.

3) Only Module "A" installed, I can not get into Windows at 800 or 1066.

4) Only Module "B" installed, I can get into Windows at 800, but not 1066.

Chance

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I just got off the phone with Tech Suppport. They received my parts on Dec 17th, but the replacement parts have still not been shipped out. They said that the memory is on backorder???? :eek:

They said they will receive a next shipment on Friday Dec 28th, and then they will be shipped out my part on the Monday Dec 31st. So basically this whole fiasco is going to take me 3 weeks to get my parts.

How is it that the very manufacturer of these modules are not even keeping a supply of parts ready to be used for RMA's???? Please tell me there is a rational reason... such as maybe there was a known issue with these modules, and they want me to have upgraded modules that will correct my problem.

That is about the only explanation that is going to cool me off right now, knowing that I am going to be without a computer for the entire christmas holidays, when i read on the website it should only take 48-72 hours to get my part after being received.

• Corsair Employee

I am very sorry about that, but from time to time supply and demand do pose this type of issue, and its almost impossible to predict. However please send me an email with your name and number and the RMA number and I will see if there anything we can do tomorrow when we get back in the office.

ramguy@corsairmemory and please put Att Ram Guy in the subject line and a link to this post in the message.

I got the package in today. I notice something a little different with these modules. Before I had 2.10V and ver2.2. Now I have 2.15V and ver2.3. Out of curiousity, whats the difference between the 2 versions? Should I set SLI-Enabled in BIOS to get 1066, or should I do it manually? Is the voltage going to be different? Because I do see 2.15V now on the modules. I have not installed my modules yet, I will wait for your answers and recommendations.

For this memtest you are talking about, I spent 3 hours trying to figure out how I can burn an image onto a CD. For some reason, my Roxio program is telling me the .iso file I have extracted is an invalid file when I select the action button... even though it sees it as a valid file when I initially select it. So I gave up on that.

I tried using one module at a time, and they both are doing the same thing. With 800 selected, I can boot into windows with one module. With 1066 selected(SLI enabled or manually set to 1066), I can not boot into windows with one module. Tried a different DIMM slot, and the same thing happened. If I place BOTH modules in the computer at 1066, then I CAN boot into windows.

Can anyone tell me why I can boot into windows at 1066 with both modules and not just one moudule, but yet if I select 800 then I can boot into windows with only one module installed?

Playing around the speed settings again with one module installed. I can boot into windows at 800,850,900,950,1000... but not 1050 or 1066.

I am getting very frustrated as I have spent probably 50 hours researching and trying different things on this one problem. And looking here at Corsair forums and EVGA forums, I am convinced there is something not quite right with the 680i motherboard and 8500 series combination. Although, I have not had my computer lock up yet today, Im sure my stability problem at 1066 is not fixed.

Roxio (uhhhhhh) dont use that it will certainly not help you any if your already fristraited. Run away from it fast heh. Get the nero demo its free and fully functional.

http://www.nero.com

OR if you want a simple free image burning program get magiciso.

http://www.magiciso.com/

either way lets get that memtest cd made. UNinstall Roxio first its bad program that will CONFLICT with the good burning apps like nero. So go to control panel and remove roxio-then install nero or magiciso, restart pc. Now just right click the memtest iso - select burn with nero or open nero and select burn iso and point to file. Let us know if you have any problems.

I uninstalled Roxio, and then downloaded Magic ISO. I followed your instructions and the instrustions of the program. Everytime I try to burn it, it tells me it can not find the file or its not a CD image file. Just like the Roxio program did. I have deleted the .iso file, downloaded the file off of memtest.org again, re-extract the file to different locations. Every location I use to burn the .iso file, Magic ISO ejects the CD(i have tried different black CD-R's and CD-RW's) and then gives me a message saying it can not find the file or it is not a CD image file.

I am beyond frustrated now.

Well, the interesting thing after all of this, is that my computer after 3 days in not locking up. So maybe this actually fixed my computer. I will hold my breath for a couple of more days though. I am not sure why my modules are acting the way they do when only one is installed. But so far they are doing great when both is installed. I am even noticing my shutdown time is cut in half now. I will try the .zip file if I have problems.

• 2 weeks later...
I just wanted to follow up. After about two weeks now, I have not had problems with my computer locking up. I am 100% confident now that my new modules have corrected the problem I had. The Vista reliablility monitor index has gone from a 1.7 to a 7.5. I do not ever remember having an index this high. I could grumble about the almost 3 week turn around time, but overall I think I will be very satisfied with Corsair support!!! :biggrin:

Archived