Corsair Community

AX 750 : boots are getting harder

Noim

Hi all,

A few month ago (maybe 3 or 4), without any changes in my hardware or anything else, I started having troubles booting the computer.

At first it was simply the booting occuring a dozen secondes after I pushed power switch on. Then, it degraded and I had to switch off then on the power supply using its back button, then I had to play both with this back switch and the switch on my multi-plug device to make it boot.

As of now, not only do I have to switch on and off multiple times both the PSU's and the multiplug device's switch before it boot 4 times out of 5, but when the system goes dormant after some period of time of not being used, I have a hell of a trouble to make everything boot on tracks : case restarting but screen not reacting to it, reset button reseting nothing, and finally an hour ago, BIOS having to restore itself after I had to manually switching off the system.

The latest major degradation happened after I installed my new SSD (Corsair force GT 120 Go) and my new OS (Win 8), however as I had troubles before that, I'm suspecting either my PSU or my MB, or my GPU. It is to be noted that once the system is on and in use, I have no trouble whatsoever.

How does it sound?

Edit : what I did try :

- plug my cpu directly in a wall powerplug, without a multi-plug device

- disconnect then reconnect my 24 pin cable from the MB

- disconnect and reconnect the 8 pin cable from my MB

- disconnect then reconnect my 24 pin cable from the PSU

- disconnect and reconnect the 8 pin cable from my PSU

- check both 6 pins on my GPU and PSU

- test a noname PSU (worked)

Thanks. Some similarities indeed though I'm a bit puzzled by the absence of any trouble while in use. As I don't experiment shutdowns (though eternal dormancy is prolly as crippling, but I set up Win 8 dormancy timer to "never"), my bet is either on the PSU, or possibly on the Power On module of my case.

Anyway, if a Corsair official thinks the symptoms I described rings a bell, I'm willing to hear their take on the matter.

I'm pretty pissed off. I'm on a streak of 8 bootings without the slightest latence between the moment I hit the Power On button and the moment the system boots.

It's like going to the doctor because you cough your head off and not being able to cough once when naked on his exam table.

I'm gonna persist cause there is something definitely fishy, the trouble is I can't find out if my system keeps being a good boy all night long. If I reach 20 bootings in a row, I will call it off but it would suck. I bet the voodoo will come back the second I give back the spare PSU I borrowed.

Case not closed yet, will let you know.

Cheers, Noim

Edit : Obvisouly. The 9th try had a 10s latence between Power On and booting. A weird coincidence though, the booting occured while I was unscrewing the lowest door screw, the nearest of the PSU location at the bottom of the case. I switched off, screwed back at full length the screw, then hit Power On : boot happened nevertheless. This is starting to get on my nerves...

11th try failed, tried using Power On with dooscrew in, then out, then case on the flank, but not reaction. I then used the back swith on the PSU off then on, and system booted.

I alreay disconnected and reconnected cables on the components side. I will try to do it on the PSU side, but they are a helluva pain in the *** to get out.

More info in a few.

Noim

Disconnected and reconnected all cables on the PSU side and on the components side. First boot afterward was a success, but the next try ended up with me using the PSU back switch.

Worthy of note (well, maybe) : when I switch OFF then ON the PSU back switch after a failed Power On attempt, the system boots immediately, without needing another iteration of using the Power On button. It's like the system somehow registered my demand, but couldn't fulfill it until the PSU was restarted manually.

Guess i'm gonna have to use that spare, no name and very short-cabled PSU for tests after all.... >.<

Well, after 20 tries using my spare PSU, the trouble is now confirmed as being originated by my AX750. The spare PSU had no back switch, but anyway, it made my system boot 20/20.

I will request a RMA and come back with the number.

Noim

Case number : 5243066.

I have already received the mail confirming reception of my request.

One thing bothers me : I have been asked to fill personnal information, name, adress, mail etc, but I wasn't asked my retailer name, my invoice number, etc... Guess it's normal, anyway I will wait the next mail.

Thanks for the help, RAM GUY.

• Corsair Employee
If the RMA# they sent you was or stated with 128 or 129 then that is the correct number and just send it to the address they said and it will not show up in Tech Support Express. Did they send you a Pre-Paid shipping Label?

Hai RAM GUY,

Yes, it starts in 128, but the only shipping label I got so far seems to be un-Prepaid (a "place postage here" spot in the top right hand corner) and displays the old RMA number starting in 524.

That's what I intended to discuss on the phone with the Customer service, but couldn't find the time to make that call yet.

From your question, I take it that I should have received a shipping label, prepaid and with the right RMA number. Should I wait for a new mail?

Thanks,

Noim

Thank you very much for that. Friday will be perfect, no worries.

Tbh, it's a real relief, the cost of sending that PSU to Netherlands represent 20 to 25 % of the cost of a brand new PSU, in the best of cases (UPS first price 30€, and it's the cheapest of them all, short of the "normal" mail service).

I'm glad I picked up Corsair when I chose my PSU!

Cheers,

Noim

EDIT Was about time I took care of this trouble : had to back switch OFF, ON, OFF, ON, OFF, ON, OFF, ON before the system booted. It's degrading very fast.

Wow, I got ownd by Corsair's Customer Service efficiency : a guy knocked at my door this morning to get my PSU. I was at work and my PSU was still in its pyjamas, warmly cuddled inside my case... Tbh, I was expecting a shipping label, not the whole of UPS worldwide services to be on my doorstep at early morning, begging to take care of my PSU!

He agreed to come back on Monday, so expect my PSU to be wrapped in its finest carboard outfits and into UPS' hands by Monday morning.

Cheers,

Noim

My PSU, together with its whole toolset (original package, cables, screws, everything but the black cable-squeezers that I had to cut off to free my cables) was given to UPS this morning, about 12 hours ago. RMA written on 2 sides, stickers supposedly well put, UPs and DOWNs notice on the flanks, and a flurry of newspaper to protect the whole thing.

Short of a tsunami, you're getting my PSU without so much as a scratch in a matter of days.

Cheers,

Noim

Archived