Corsair Community

Dose this look right?

lukehoare

With the current problems the drives are experiencing the speeds are normal but Corsair and Sandforce are working together to fix that.

is AHCI enabled?

Latest BIOS?

Plugged in the SATA 6GB Port (Intel Controller)?

Updated Chipset drivers?

Installed IRST?

There are loads of programs available that'll show you SMART data from the drive.

Although some of the traditional attributes (or rather their names) don't apply to SSD, there are others that do. There's another sticky post dedicated to SMART info if you fancy reading it.

Here's what SMART data from my Force GT looks like...

attachment.php?attachmentid=9007&stc=1&d=1313415650

Benching it won't damage it so to speak... it just means the drive has performed a bunch of writes that it need not have done - and of course these things don't last forever :)

If you perform too many write operations (especially when there's not much space left on the drive), it'll throttle the speed. Then I believe you have to wait for GC (aided by TRIM) to kick in and tidy up. I think there's also something known as a lifetime throttle (where it throttles the speed to prolong the life of the drive - unless they're one in the same?!) where you may have to SE the drive to fix/reset it.

1036362557_15-08-201114-39-00.png.85ca4fc60e69b00156356eba370007d1.png

Also I dont get what your saying hear

( If you perform too many write operations (especially when there's not much space left on the drive), it'll throttle the speed. Then I believe you have to wait for GC (aided by TRIM) to kick in and tidy up. I think there's also something known as a lifetime throttle (where it throttles the speed to prolong the life of the drive - unless they're one in the same?!) where you may have to SE the drive to fix/reset it.)

Somthing about rest?

It's a Force GT 120GB and it's brand new (not even partitioned or formatted).

Which bit don't you understand exactly?

I'm not going to attempt to explain how the SandForce controller works. I'm sure if you Google 'SandForce Throttle' you'll find some info posted by people more in the know.

Secure erase isn't a benchmark.

It totally wipes the drive and will restore any performance you've lost due to the over use of benchmarking tools. (Then you need to partition and quick format it again + reinstall or re-image it).

For the most part, I'm sure that if the read speeds are correct, the write speeds will be too - so you could get away with just doing 'read' benchmarks.

That might be when the lifetime (or hammered?) throttle has kicked in.

Google 'lifetime throttle secure erase' and I'm sure you'll find an interesting discussion on the subject.

Just don't run an endless number of benchmarks that write to the drive - there's no point anyway. You can perform 'read only' benchmarks on it all day and it won't do any harm.

When you've secure erased a drive, I understand that it'll return to peek performance (advertised speeds). Once you've written to every bit of the nand at least once, the drive has to erase as it goes (if GC hasn't already done it?) and that's what slows the writes down.

It's the difference between being able to just paint a room or having to strip the wallpaper before you can paint it.

If you go crazy with writing LOADS to the drive, only time will release the throttle. So if you wrote 100TB in 1 day and the throttle kicked in, you may have to write next to nothing for the following month to average out the writes/time and get it to release the throttle.

Ok but secure easres dose no harm to your PC through?

Define 'harm' ! It wipes your hdd. If you've got important data on it that isn't backed up, I'd call that harmful. If you know it's going to erase everything and don't care, no it's not harmful. It doesn't touch anything else in the PC, it's just the SSD. Secure Erase is peformed internally BY the drive. Software tells it to do it and it does it to itself.

It does erase all the nand though so I guess that's 1 off however many it can do in its lifetime.

Dose the write or just read the nand?

If it shows you a value for write speed, it has written!

Archived