Corsair Community

Force Series 3 F120 SSD BSOD Problem

UPDATE JUNE 3, 2011

Before the SSD even arrived, i had no problems with the computer, had no bsods, crashes, etc. So everything was fine.

Then i ordered the ssd, it arrived. So i had to install a fresh new windows 7 64-bit.

After installing the OS, before i even started installing the motherboard, video card drivers, it suddenly bsod:

IMAG0249.jpg

then i restarted it manually, since it won't finish/save the crash dump for some reasons. It couldn't detect the SSD anymore. I had to power off, then power on. It detected again..

So i tried to install the drivers, i was able to without problems. Then suddenly another bsod... which is the same one:

IMAG0250.jpg

then power off... removed all the other hard disks, So only Corsair SSD was connected.

Went into windows.. updated windows 7 sp1, all updates downloaded.

then bsod again...

yes same..

then shutdown.. power on.

then i quickly downloaded ATTO benchmark, ran benchy.. got:

attobench.png

then i wanted to Re-do everything, so i reformatted.. reinstalled another fresh windows 7.. same problems same bsod.

then when i wrote this .. 3 times it BSOD.

oh yeah my motherboard, has the latest bios.

im also running on AHCI..

I tried again with normal Hard Disk.. no BSOD.

1. What is the specific model of motherboard being used?

A: Gigabyte Z68X-UD7-B3 Latest Bios

2. What OS and AHCI driver are being used?

A: Windows 7 64-bit, Inte's Latest AHCI driver = BSOD, also tried Marvell 88SE9128 chips AHCI = BSOD

3. Is the drive configured as an OS drive or a data drive?

A1: Using it as OS = BSOD

A2: Using it as Data = Still BSOD

4. Do you have any spread spectrum clocking enabled?

A: Tried Spread Spectrum Disabled & Enabled = Still BSOD

5. Do you have TRIM enabled?

A: Tried Trim Enabled & Disabled = Still BSOD

Just commenting- You're not the only one. Also received a SSD Force 3 120GB the other day, fresh install win7 64bit and the exact same thing is happening...After looking around the forums all I have seen it stuff about firmware updates and often just people having to RMA the drive.. Looking to avoid that myself.. Hopefully some help.. anyone? anyone? :)

Since the installation of mine went fine and i seemed to sort out most issues by updating mobo bios & disableing LPM on iastor it still randomly BSOD's and freezes in win7 and randomly dissapears from bios. (this is without having a single issue before the ssd was connected using others hdd's & ssd's just fine)

After talking to several people here in sweden who recently bought the Force 3 we realized all of them show the exact same behaviour regardless of motherboard or chipset or drivers. This is without a single doubt either a faulty firmware or just a faulty design, i dont have high hopes for Corsair even acknowledging this but it is quite clear the fault lies with the Force 3 drive itself.

This is the last SSD i buy from corsair, period, i will also strongly advice against anyone who thinks of buying a corsair drive aswell.

Just commenting- You're not the only one. Also received a SSD Force 3 120GB the other day, fresh install win7 64bit and the exact same thing is happening...After looking around the forums all I have seen it stuff about firmware updates and often just people having to RMA the drive.. Looking to avoid that myself.. Hopefully some help.. anyone? anyone? :)

I don't think there's a firmware update for Series 3 ? i think the firmware update v2 is for Series 2... =/

Since the installation of mine went fine and i seemed to sort out most issues by updating mobo bios & disableing LPM on iastor it still randomly BSOD's and freezes in win7 and randomly dissapears from bios. (this is without having a single issue before the ssd was connected using others hdd's & ssd's just fine)

After talking to several people here in sweden who recently bought the Force 3 we realized all of them show the exact same behaviour regardless of motherboard or chipset or drivers. This is without a single doubt either a faulty firmware or just a faulty design, i dont have high hopes for Corsair even acknowledging this but it is quite clear the fault lies with the Force 3 drive itself.

This is the last SSD i buy from corsair, period, i will also strongly advice against anyone who thinks of buying a corsair drive aswell.

Seriously ? WTF. I have another one coming.. i was planning on Raid 0.. i will try the other SSD tomorrow if i get the same problem..

Zerosaku: You're correct, only the original Force series has a firmware update.

If this is then a recurring problem on a new brand of Force 3 SSDs then how long until a firmware fix or any fix would be available? I don't know what else to try at this point..

Zerosaku: You're correct, only the original Force series has a firmware update.

So ?.... Is there any solution to my problems.. well all our problems here. Don't tell me there's no solution yet? This are expensive ssd's.

So for now all Force 3 users are screwed ? or more likely scammed til they fix this ?

to be honest I don't think there will be any fix for this anytime soon.

Those of us experiencing this are the first people to get the drives, it will take weeks for corsair to acknowledge there is a problem, and then perhaps weeks until they issue a fix.

I just got mine yesterday, both exhibit the same behaviour as everybody else (see my other thread here).

Unless there is a serious answer from corsair in here in the next couple of days I will also return and swap them for something else. Unfortunately - I don't want to!

actually we should consider trying to consolidate all threads about this issue into one (perhaps with a better title).

the BSOD in windows is just a side effect of the drive disappearing from the system.. perhaps we should call it something like "Force Series 3 SSDs intermittently disappearing from system" or something.

BTW I noticed that on my system, if I do a cold (hard) reset, i.e. PC is off for more than 5 seconds, when I turn it back on again the drives are almost always there. they disappear over time after that until the next cold start.

actually we should consider trying to consolidate all threads about this issue into one (perhaps with a better title).

the BSOD in windows is just a side effect of the drive disappearing from the system.. perhaps we should call it something like "Force Series 3 SSDs intermittently disappearing from system" or something.

I agree..

after the BSOD, it can't detect the SSD anymore.. can't boot to windows.. had to do a shutdown. Then wait 5 seconds.. turn on and SSD is back again.. zz sigh

I agree..

after the BSOD, it can't detect the SSD anymore.. can't boot to windows.. had to do a shutdown. Then wait 5 seconds.. turn on and SSD is back again.. zz sigh

Exact same issue here, problem is it's impossible to determine why it dissapears, mine can be stable for a very long time and then suddenly bsod followed by no force 3 being recognized upon boot. Other times it can bsod within 10m & be gone from bios until 5s wait & then restart again.

I like the speed of the drive and if i want to change it for something else in the store id have to send it in, which i kinda don't want to do but if Corsair dosent fix this then i see no other way.

I'm having the same problem. I can't help but notice we're all using Intel Core i7 2600k.

I don't know how much that comes into play for me.. I was running with the 2600K just fine on a different hard drive.

Is anyone else overclocking their 2600k? Mine is OC'd to 4.4GHz.. Don't know about relevance there either..

Im running the 2600K stock and everything else for that matter aswell, one thing it could be is some form of incompatabillity with intels storage controller and or the p67/z68 chipsets, either way it needs looking into from corsair

Well if you change your sleep mode from S3 to S1 (POS Only) in BIOS it will fix the problem. At least that was the 100% fix for the original Force series. I don't know much about the new one.

Firmware 2.0 from the original Force fixed it as well, so I can only assume a new firmware is going to come out to fix it for real.

Well if you change your sleep mode from S3 to S1 (POS Only) in BIOS it will fix the problem. At least that was the 100% fix for the original Force series. I don't know much about the new one.

Firmware 2.0 from the original Force fixed it as well, so I can only assume a new firmware is going to come out to fix it for real.

Will try this later and report back.

Do NOT combine threads. Look at the other threads like that. Multiple issues get tied into each other that aren't always related, and people get overlooked because of the length of the thread. Keep the threads separate so that everyone gets the help they're asking for.

@Wired. Having multiple threads is ridiculous. It's the same issue, it can't be fixed individually, and it most likely needs attention from Corsair.

Having multiple different threads where people hunt for their own individual solution is simply a waste of time when we are actually searching for a common denominator.

@Wired. Having multiple threads is ridiculous. It's the same issue, it can't be fixed individually, and it most likely needs attention from Corsair.

Having multiple different threads where people hunt for their own individual solution is simply a waste of time when we are actually searching for a common denominator.

Didn't say cross posting wasn't allowed. When 5, 10, whatever number of people post in the same thread, ultimately people get lost in the thread and don't get help. With multiple threads they all get responses, and at the same time it brings more attention to the issue.

Archived