Corsair Community

Disk Error BSOD

brainleak

I recently started to have an issue, This has happened three times and I've stopped leaving my computer on due to this problem. I'm running a Corsair Force 60gb SSD as my boot drive, CSSD-F60GB2. The first time, I came home from work and found my computer mid boot with a DISK ERROR message. I pressed the reset button and found the SSD was not being seen by the bios. I shut off the PC and gave it a moment to sit. Started back up and the drive was recognized, I checked windows logs and really found nothing out of the ordinary. The next morning the computer had shut down the same way with the same error. As a stated above this happened again for a third time. I've tried many different possible settings and I have yet to have it shut down with me in front of the monitor. I appears to me like the drive shuts off at some point.

This drive is under a month old and I'm happy with it overall but this issue is a huge concern.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

This is all over the forum and a well known issue with the Force drives.

Primarily check here:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=88341

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do right now other than disable TRIM, change from AHCI to IDE mode, disable hiberation, disable sleep, make sure the drive is set to never turn off in power options, and make sure you have a paging file set to the SSD. All of these seem to help the situation but there is no definite fix yet. The best bet is to shutdown the computer when you're not using it, as most of the time the error only happens when the computer is idle. Corsair is currently working on a firmware update but there is no ETA right now.

That's a huge disappointment. definitely not what i wanted to hear at least. I'm surprised to that the page file on the drive helps but since it would keep the drive more active it does make sense while you are causing unneeded writes to the drive.

Thanks for the quick response and the link to the main forum post, Synbios. Considering this pc is setup for remote access for my personal purposes, this is very unsettling.

Considering this pc is setup for remote access for my personal purposes, this is very unsettling.

I had the same problem; I was using the drive in a high performance server for remote access and data analysis. I took the drive out because after toying with the thing for a month and losing weeks of productivity I figured that it simply was not worth the trouble until the new firmware is out. Even when the new firmware is out I will not be putting this drive back in my server. Servers are highly critical and to achieve 99.999% uptime they need something a hell of a lot more reliable than a Force drive.

Dude, what is up with attacking customers? Is that how a business treat its customers? Instead of making excuses for why the SSD is functioning correctly come up with a solution.
What are you talking about? How was my response Synbios informing him that it's not an enterprise rated drive an attack in any way, shape, or form?

Like I said in my other threads this is not in an enterprise environment, but rather academic. It still requires very good (close to 100% uptime). You shouldn't need enterprise components to achieve good stability, most of my computers for the past 10-15 years are left running 24/7 with no problems. As harsh as this sounds: the truth of the matter is for me personally, the Force drive is the worst scenario I've had with a computer component, ever.

I understand what Wired was trying to say that it's not an enterprise drive, but at the same time, you shouldn't need an enterprise drive for your computer to not BSOD!

I'm not trying to seem rude, I know Wired, you don't work for Corsair and you're just trying to help.

Sorry for the miscommunication. As Synbios alluded to, to myself, "high performance server for remote access and data analysis" is an enterprise situation and as such requires enterprise hardware. This is why I stated that the Force series is not an enterprise rated drive.

No worries Synbios. While I'm not in your shoes in this scenario, I've been in similar situations with vendors before.

I spoke with Gigabyte customer support, They specified the following

"We had not had any reports of such issue, can you check with the Corsair representative to determine who was in contact with from Gigabyte regarding this matter?

We will check with that person to follow up on this matter."

I spoke with Gigabyte customer support, They specified the following

"We had not had any reports of such issue, can you check with the Corsair representative to determine who was in contact with from Gigabyte regarding this matter?

We will check with that person to follow up on this matter."

They have it posted on their own website where they host the beta BIOS'. I tested it today with an X58A-UD7. Someone at Gigabyte should be aware of this since it is posted on their own site. I have not been in contact with GB as it's a known issue.

The link is in German but the release notes are in English. The note is for a different brand of SSD but it applies to any SSD using the SandForce controllers. It may or may not apply to your MOBO. That's why I directed you to GB.

LINK

Could you provide a link that contains the thread and not just a picture, Please.

What thread are you asking about? I have provided 2 links for you. 1 is the beta BIOS page. The other is directly to the release notes for one of the beta BIOS' denoting the issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I've come to that link a few times there is no information. One is a half page with a reference to a solution for force issues the other is a list of BIOS updates under wich my board is not listed.

At this point I'll be replacing my clients SDD with an alternate since they simply love the performance but cannot deal with the BSOD issues (Nobody could, it causes all kinds of random in windows oddities as well).

Problem is using a force 120 on a Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5. Using TRIM and any number of configuration options seems to make little or no difference. The BSOD's are so very random.

Is there any known solutions as yet ?

Hi, I've come to that link a few times there is no information. One is a half page with a reference to a solution for force issues the other is a list of BIOS updates under wich my board is not listed.

At this point I'll be replacing my clients SDD with an alternate since they simply love the performance but cannot deal with the BSOD issues (Nobody could, it causes all kinds of random in windows oddities as well).

Problem is using a force 120 on a Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5. Using TRIM and any number of configuration options seems to make little or no difference. The BSOD's are so very random.

Is there any known solutions as yet ?

This particular Bios update from Gigabyte, looks to be for only Intel chipset, which only fixes the smart error on start up. As for the random BSOD'S we are all waiting for a new FirmWare update for the Force series.

This is concerning me, as I've got about a week to sort it out or I'm going to be the loving owner of about 4 force 120GB drives which I 'will' return for a refund (A manufacturer fault is cause for refund in Australia).

Of course as a consumer my client is entitled to this refund as a retailed I believe I am also entitled to a refund my supplier however is unlikely to be same consumer protection laws.

This puts me in a rather irritating predicament, to I cough up for 4 fore drives none of which work in my main PC (as yet) or do I cause irreparable damage with my sales rep and main supplier.

Without some kind of time frame I'm proverbially screwed.

I'm proverbially screwed.

Yes, You are. We have not received a time table from either side. Corsair points the finger at sand force. Gigabyte said they had no beta firmware available for any AMD chipsets. And I get no straight answers from the contacts here. I got a song and dance that pointed me to gigabyte that provided me with no different performance. Also the 1.1a tool is just a issue recreation tool. I have had no luck upgrading the firmware. The tool does in fact replicate the issue every time.

Archived