Corsair Community

ax850 fan not spinning?

Sam3

Hi

Ive had my Corsair Professional ax850 for a few days now and I've just noticed that the fans not spinning :(

Im currently using a silverstone fortress 2 case (high airflow with positive pressure) and every component is kept icy cool.

My question is does th fan turn off at cool temperatures? Or is my fan faulty?

(Ive searched the forum and found similar questions/problems with the tx/hx series, so I just wanted to confirm if this is a problem and should I RMA it)

Kind Regards

Sammy

EDIT: Please READ THIS before assuming that you have a defective PSU.

I just had another look at the psu,

the fan spins once during first boot/power on then it stops and doesnt come on at all during the whole time the computer is on.

The fan then spins once when you turn off/shut down the computer.

So is this broke - should I return it?

Thanks

Sammy

Hi,

I have purchased the same power supply as you, and just wanted to say don't worry. Even though this power supply is somewhat a recent release, it is perfectly normal that the double ball-bearing fan is in "sleep mode".

You see, when you boot up your computer, it starts but then it goes in sleep mode. This is because the fan is activated by temperature. When you start a computer the temperature isn't at it's peak point.

Therefor, I loaded up a video game and within 5 minutes the fan started. :)

If you go to page 6 in the manual, you will see the 2nd point under "Corsair advantages" that reads:

"An ultra-quiet double ball-bearing fan delivers excellent airflow at an exceptionally low noise level by varying fan speed in response to temperature."

Hope I helped.

Hi,

I have purchased the same power supply as you, and just wanted to say don't worry. Even though this power supply is somewhat a recent release, it is perfectly normal that the double ball-bearing fan is in "sleep mode".

You see, when you boot up your computer, it starts but then it goes in sleep mode. This is because the fan is activated by temperature. When you start a computer the temperature isn't at it's peak point.

Therefor, I loaded up a video game and within 5 minutes the fan started. :)

If you go to page 6 in the manual, you will see the 2nd point under "Corsair advantages" that reads:

"An ultra-quiet double ball-bearing fan delivers excellent airflow at an exceptionally low noise level by varying fan speed in response to temperature."

Hope I helped.

Hi thanks for the reply,

I saw that in the instruction manual but most temperature controlled fans in PCs always spin even at lower temperatures :?

My fan does not start spinning under system load using a stress test :sigh!: (the psu intakes cold air from outside the case anyway)

So I tested it with a hair dryer just in case it wasn't getting hot enough. I blasted it a few times until it was warm to touch and the fan didnt activate once :[pouts:

So is this psu faulty then?

Thanks

Sammy

Just tried the psu under heavy load playing gtaiv (stressing cpu and gpu) and after 30 mins the psu fan started spinning slowly.

It seems the fan is not controlled by temperature but by load on the psu itself (The psu temperature when playing gtaiv is still much cooler than it was with the hair dryer blowing on it).

Is this normal behavior?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee
The fans on the AX750 and AX850 PSUs will spin up once the temperature and loading on the units require extra cooling. If the PSU is getting hot and the fan is still not spinning then there could be a problem and we would want to replace the PSU for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

My 750 does the same, just fitted yesterday so havent had time to stress the pc. Got me worried when i first fired it up and the fan spun once and then stopped:bigeyes:

So if i run linx the fan should fire up after a bit yeh? I only have a i5 760@3.6ghz and a gtx460, so its not gonna be stressed out too much. But i plan to add another 460 in a few weeks:D:

Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Hey guys,

Just purchased an AX850 myself and sure enough, I quickly powered it down after firing it up for the first time thinking the fan was faulty too :)

I guess this blog post kinda explains the "fanless" behaviour we're seeing: http://blog.corsair.com/?p=4184

Is there a way to stress the PSU such that I can test the fan to ensure it does indeed work? :P Playing Starcraft II on Ultra settings @ 1920x1080 with a GTX 470 for 1/2 a day didn't even make it budge...

Hi Guys, not to jack this thread, but it's the same concern, so don't want to start a new thread.

The fan on my AX850 does not spin at all on power up or off.

It's connected to: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R ATX, I7 950, 24GB RAM (6 sticks), AMD 6870, 240GB SSD.

(all stock settings, no OC)

I could not get it to spin up running 3DMARK 11 or Prime 95 loading all cores and RAM.

It did appears like the fan was trying too spin up at one point,

because it would jump 5 degrees and then back again periodically.

The side w/o the fan did get a warm on the PSU.

I'm wondering if this is normal activity..

The rig above should pull ~350W so ~40% of the PSU.

I imagine this should fire the fan up according to the graph.

Are my calculations way off?

Going try try and load it up w/ a 3870x2 tonight and see if I can get 'er to spin.

At which point should I stop the tests if it's not spinning up?

Don't want it to go BOOM w/ all my new components connected to it..

Cheers, Tomek

EDIT

LOoks like Jonny Guru's AX850 did not spin up till he hit ~50% load (or 425.2W / 475.7W).

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story3&reid=197

I'll try loading it more tonight, but am still concerned about no spin on power up and power off,

and the fact that is looks like the fan is trying to spin up under load.

Thanks, Tomek

Hello.. Hello.. is there anybody out there?

(yes I just seen Roger Waters - hehe)

SO, should the fan spin up for a second at power up or not?

Mine doesn't, so I'm thinking I should return it.

Can ANYONE advise please?

Don't worry about power up or power off. If the unit is not getting HOT and the fan spins under load then the PSU is working properly.

Thank you very much Yellowbeard!

I noticed that it did spin up on power up (for a second) but it doesn't anymore.

Last time it did, it sounded like the fan is rubbing up on something.

Perhaps that's preventing it from spinning up.

It did get rather warm on the "non-fan" side when running a few loops of 3dMark 11.

I could not get it to spin up under load either.

The rubbing sound it made while trying to spin up, in conjunction with the warm temp,

doesn't make me feel too confident.

Gonna swap it at the store this week.

I appreciate you getting back,

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Hey people,

Happy Holidays and a happy new year too all first of all.

Just got my new PSU today the nice looking AX850.

Noticed that the fan wasnt spinning on it there and a wee squeal noise now and again. I've never heard this before!!! So after looking up that the fan only spins as required, I decided to stress test the machaine for a hour with AMD Overdrive to see if it kicks in.

3 Minutes later computer shut down no warning just shut down complete. Now I cant get it back on!!!!! (May need to wait a few minutes, hours??? Who knows) Never had anything like this before not one problem with the other PSU that was in it the VX550.

Has anyone else had problems like this or is this just me.

Thanks for any help in advance.

ThePhenom

Ok update here for you.

I left the computer last night while I cleaned up lol. Came back to it a few hours later and plug it back in and it started up no bother. Left on for a while all seems ok!!!! Stress tested it for 10 minutes this time no issues fan started spin when required and no squealing noise. YEAH!!!! All seems ok. Sorry to bother anyone that gone off to have a look into this. Happy Holiday and all the best for 2011.

ThePhenom

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys, just thought I'd give you an update for the users and Corsair's sake.

On further inspection, it turned out one of the (thicker black) cables coming

off the PCB was communing up, and preventing fan blades from spinning.

I pushed the cable back down through the fan grill (while the PSU was unplugged)

and tried to push it into a position so that it wouldn't pop back up.

The fan now spins when it's supposed to, but needless to say I returned the PSU for a replacement,

as I believe the PSU was un-necessarily strained during my attempts to get the fan to spin-up.

Hope that helps,

Tomek

Archived