Corsair Community

HX520W - LED on Motherboard lights up, but no power anywhere else

bille

Power Guy,

I have just built a new system using a HX520W Power Supply and an ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard. Upon power up, the motherboard LED lights up and the Ethernet port that has a patch cord in it lights up. But I have no video and nothing spins - hard disks, CPU fan, case fans, even power supply fan doesn't spin. My keyboard lights don't flash or light up.

The case that I am using, an Antec P180, doesn't have a speaker in it, so I don't know if I am getting any beep codes.

My thoughts on next steps for troubleshooting are:

1) Take case speaker out of an old system to see if there are any beep codes.

2) Take a known good 350W PSU out of a running system and try it. I would like to avoid this if I can.

Any advice on troubleshooting this?

Thanks,

Bill

• Corsair Employee
I would try the modules one at a time to make sure its not some other problem, also try the system with no memory and see if you get any post error beeps, if not that might suggest the MB will not see that CPU, I would check with ASUS to make sure the installed Bios will support that CPU!

I put the Corsair HX520W power supply back into the case.

I tried power up with a single stick of memory and no memory on the motherboard - no POST beeps either way. Looks like I need to talk to ASUS about CPU support. Their website indicates the CPU is supported with BIOS rev 0503. At this point I don't what BIOS rev I have.

Question: Clearly the motherboard is getting some power since the onboard LED lights up. When should the power supply fan start spinning? Does the system have to get through POST or should it start spinning as soon as the power is switched on?

• Corsair Employee

You can read the bios version off of the Bios chip there should be a lable with the Version number on it!

The fan should start spinning right as soon as the system powers on, but if its not posting the fan may not work till its posting properly!

Check the Bios version and or test the PSU with a known working system.

There wasn't a sticker on the BIOS with revision on it.

I called ASUS Tech Support. Talked to first level support guy for a while, then he transfered me to the "ASUS BIOS Group". Ended up in voice mail for a person in the "ASUS BIOS Group". Left a message and got a callback in less than 10 minutes. They are going to send me a new BIOS chip flashed with the latest revision BIOS code. Since the motherboard is new and under warranty, I only have to pay shipping. I opted for FedEx Ground ($5).

I will post results after I receive the BIOS chip.

Received new BIOS chip today. Installed the BIOS chip - it didn't help. Used motherboard jumper to clear CMOS, tried again, it didn't help.

Not sure what to try next. I think I should try to prove power supply good or bad next. The problem is, I only have an Antec 380W power supply with a 20 pin motherboard connector. I am assuming I can't use the 20 pin Antec 380W power supply with the M2N-SLI. This Antec 380W power supply is in an old system that works well and has a Pentium 4 3.06Mhz chip in a SOYO motherboard. The M2N-SLI motherboard and Corsair HX520W power supply have a 24 pin connector. Can I connect the new Corsair HX520W power supply to this 2 year old system in place of the Antec 380W to see if the HX520W is OK?

Performed test of power supply by disconnecting everything from power supply except one case cooling fan, and then shorting black and green wires on 24 pin power supply connector. Case cooling fan didn't spin.

Then got out voltmeter, no voltage anywhere except +5V Standby on purple wire of 24 pin power supply connector. Note that voltage test was performed while shorting black and green wires on 24 pin connector.

QUESTION: Is +5V Standby what powers the Motherboard LED and LEDs on Motherboard Ethernet connector? I would assume so, based on my experience so far.

I would like to RMA the Power Supply. I purchased from newegg.com, and will contact them first.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee

Did you try and short the pins out on the MB to see if the system will turn on?

If so and it still does not power on I have no problem replacing the PSU, but from what you have posted its not the first thing I would suspect.

Let's get it replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them or it.

The standby voltages (+5SB and +12SB) will light LED's on several devices, depending on their design. LAN cards, some keyboards/mice ... basically anything that can be programmed to "wake" the PC have to be supplied with standby voltages, and sometimes they indicate their status with LEDs. My motherboard also has LED's to indicate the presence of standby voltages.

Also, the standby voltages are generated by a completely different circuit than the main voltages.

PC power supplies require some minimum load (current draw) in order to regulate the output voltages. A single fan is not enough of a load to allow a power supply to come up. Your motherboard is definitely enough of a load, as would be a couple of disk drives. If you've connected a couple of drives and started the supply by momentarily connecting the green wire to ground and there's still no ouput, then you've got a faulty supply.

Archived