Corsair Community

Please help

Sting23ray

Hi there!!!

I am not much of a computer expert so please forgive me if I sound a bit too basic. I have an IBM/Lenovo T43 2687 notebook that came with 1 stick of 512 DDR2. I am planning on upgrading it and thus have a couple of questions.

1. Is it true that I should get another module of 512 instead of 1 gig to make the memory work at 128 bits? I have been told that in order to use dual channel both the modules have to be of the same capacity.

Hence:

512 + 512 = 1 gig (Much faster)

512 + 1 gig – 1.5 gigs (Slower)

2. What is Value select and why is it cheaper than the ram that is being recommended by the Configurator? Is it made up of a cheaper material or not tested enough? If all is the same then would you recommend it for my notebook? Money is a little tight right now….How much of a performance difference would I notice??

All help will be much appreciated.:):

ST

• Corsair Employee

If your NB supports dual channel you would need to use two modules that are exactly matched. I would suggest replacing the memory that cme in your system with 2 modules that match or you will need to match whats installed. But I would suspect that you either have 2-256 meg modules or your system may have dual channel disabled. And if you want to add to what you have I would not suggest Value Select.

The VAlue Select and System Select modules are functionally the same. CMSS parts are built with a restricted bill of materials deemed to provide the best compatibility with OEM systems. As such, we often do not have the capability to use low cost material.

CMSS parts are guaranteed to be compatible. If there is a problem, we will work with you to fix it, or give you your money back if we can not. VS parts are guaranteed (with a lifetime warranty) to be good parts, but we do not guarantee compatibility with any particular systems. If a VS part does not work, it gets tested and either repaired or (usually) replaced with another VS part.

I expect that the VS part will work correctly in your system. And, of course, Corsair's lifetime warranty is in full effect if it does not. Our confidence of first pass success is highest, however, with CMSS parts.

Archived