Corsair Community

Resolved - Corsair Scimitar - Terrible tracking on QCK Cloth Mousepad

g0dspeed12

Hey all,

I just bought the Scimitar RGB last night.

I went with optical because I've read they're more precise for gaming and such.

I'm terribly dissatisfied because the mouse completely stops tracking at certain times.

It seems to mainly be when I lift the mouse to any height, when I return the mouse to the pad it no longer tracks and the mouse is just idle on the screen.

A bit of jiggling the mouse and swiping back and forth will get it going again, but this is not how I'd like an $90 mouse to perform whatsoever.

At first I thought it might be the 'Lift Height' setting in CUE, but changing this between Low-Middle-High literally changes nothing.

I'm currently using a Steel Series QCK Mass which is cloth, and I've read that optical mice are supposed to be great on cloth.

Unfortunately, this is not my experience.

I have a $5 bestbuy brand mouse pad that's dual hard surface, with a grainy side and smooth side.

The mouse seems to work perfectly on this hard surface.

Did I make the wrong choice assuming an optical mouse would perform great on a cloth surface?

I'm not really looking for 'Well just use the hard surface mouse pad' answer.

I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to get this thing working on my QCK or cloth surface.

Is it the latest firmware? Something I can rollback?

Does someone else using the Scimitar have a different experience where their mouse is working great on cloth surfaces?

Hard to believe it's a defective device if it tracks perfectly on hard surface pads.

Advice, return and rebuy, anything insight you guys can provide would be great.

Thanks,

M

• Corsair Employee

I currently use the Scimitar here for work on a cloth mouse pad and it works just fine ( Corsair mouse pads). I would check to see if you have the latest firmware as well.

I agree with you that if it works on the hard surface, that it's not a hardware issue.

is there a fw version from your guys' 'Have issues? Unofficial FAQ and Quick Fix Guide' thread that I can use? it looks like you guys have them all listed there, but since you said call support I wasn't sure.

here: http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138472&highlight=scimitar

looks like maybe I should try v1.06 or no?

will trying the CUE beta do any good?

• Corsair Employee
It doesnt hurt to try CUE beta, but I doubt it will do anything. By calling into support, we will provide you with the previous version to see if that will address the issue. If not, the only thing I can do is to investigate this issue as I have not heard of this before.

I want to apologize to corsair for a misleading post. the problem i created above was human disfunction, not product. i'm one of the rare few that do not use a desk for gaming, in fact I game while laying down on my bed most of the time (although I also have a desk). using a cloth/rubber mouse pad on my uneven bedding surface led to the terrible tracking I was explaining above. I didn't think of this simply because I never had a tracking issue while using my old laser mouse. I guess optical is a bit more sensitive in this way. once i put the same QCK mouse pad on top of a hard flat surface, the tracking issues went away completely. I simply am not able to recreate it while the mouse is on a most flat surface. It seems as though the bumps and dips the soft surface was creating were causing the tracking issues. I can now simply put a hard flat surface under my QCK mouse pad and the mouse works flawlessly. While I still think that some of the options in the CUE software corsair has put out, do not work...such as Lift Height and Angle Snapping...everything else seems to be working fine now. Again, sorry to corsair and thank you Henry for your quick response and assistance with this matter. I hope this thread helps some of you that may be experiencing tracking issues with optical mice.

Thanks,

M

• Corsair Employee
btw Henry if you do see my response above, I'd like to change the title of my thread maybe to 'Fixed' or 'Resolved'. Let me know if there's a way I can do that. Or we can just delete the thread, although it may help someone in the future.

Hello g0dspeed12,

Thank you for providing us with an update and we are glad that you were able to determine that the issue is not the hardware. Happy Gaming and thanks for Joining the Forum!

Archived