Corsair Community

Stop blaming Corsair!! Please!!

Ripshod

I'm getting a bit tired now of people slating Corsair for their failings with the CorsairLink software, and drivers which actually come from Microsoft.

A little bit of digging into the history of the USB interface and the Sierra services show the system was originally developed by CIS (CoolIt Systems). What Corsair are having to do is iron out a badly coded system that was given up by CoolIt, and to be honest, I don't think they're doing too bad a job. You don't hear them whinging every time someone want's to RMA a faulty cooler - in fact they're bending over backwards to help us. in fact a lot of resellers are jumping on the bandwagon to honour Corsair's returns policy. They all accept there are faults with the system, replace components without quibble, and still get stock back on the shelves in time for the Holidays.

Get off their backs and let them do their jobs. Give them a little time to get it right!!

Rant over!

I'm getting a bit tired now of people slating Corsair for their failings with the CorsairLink software, and drivers which actually come from Microsoft.

A little bit of digging into the history of the USB interface and the Sierra services show the system was originally developed by CIS (CoolIt Systems). What Corsair are having to do is iron out a badly coded system that was given up by CoolIt, and to be honest, I don't think they're doing too bad a job. You don't hear them whinging every time someone want's to RMA a faulty cooler - in fact they're bending over backwards to help us. in fact a lot of resellers are jumping on the bandwagon to honour Corsair's returns policy. They all accept there are faults with the system, replace components without quibble, and still get stock back on the shelves in time for the Holidays.

Get off their backs and let them do their jobs. Give them a little time to get it right!!

Rant over!

By my guesstimation they've had nearly 12 months , how much time do you feel is reasonable once you've paid your money for a " working " system to get something that you know " works " , from what i remember the option to pay 50% for a 50% working system was'nt on any offer i saw .

The system was / is developed by Coolit ( so who's working on the fixes i don't know ) , as you found , the same company some of us will remember as a supplier of low quality LCS which is why some of us went for Corsair when the H50/70 came out as that was not from them but Asetek .

I'm not knocking Corsair , i use their cases ( currently waiting on the 900d to come out :D: )/psu's and memory and their customer service is excellent when you have problems but all the problems with link not to mention the h80 h100 and now the h100i issues ( again coolit rebadges ) have gone on too long with no sign of a real fix , my humble guess is the real fix will be with the " h200 " which will turn out to be truly developed by Corsair or " a n other " OEM .

Rant over!

couldnt have said it better

its ok to post how you feel but to look for new threads to rant in i think is uncalled for and shows a lack of maturity

One fix may be to write their own drivers. The 'generic' HID drivers provided by Microsoft are based on drivers released by Silicon Labs in 2006. Apart from a few fixes for the newer OSes there have been no changes since 2006. A quick visit to Silabs got me the 2010 drivers, which with a little work are running fine on my system and a few others I have fitted for friends. I'm not saying Microsoft are wrong in using the old drivers, but i believe drivers get updated for a reason. Every system I build from now on with hydro coolers will have my newer version of the drivers.

I know the old addage - if it ain't broken don't fix it. But why have Silabs done the updates and Microsoft ignored it??

the reason for my rant in the first place is the rants in most of the topics regarding these coolers. i wanted to centralise things somewhat and leave the other topics for people to get the help they need and deserve.

By my guesstimation they've had nearly 12 months , how much time do you feel is reasonable once you've paid your money for a " working " system to get something that you know " works " , from what i remember the option to pay 50% for a 50% working system was'nt on any offer i saw .

The system was / is developed by Coolit ( so who's working on the fixes i don't know ) , as you found , the same company some of us will remember as a supplier of low quality LCS which is why some of us went for Corsair when the H50/70 came out as that was not from them but Asetek .

I'm not knocking Corsair , i use their cases ( currently waiting on the 900d to come out :D: )/psu's and memory and their customer service is excellent when you have problems but all the problems with link not to mention the h80 h100 and now the h100i issues ( again coolit rebadges ) have gone on too long with no sign of a real fix , my humble guess is the real fix will be with the " h200 " which will turn out to be truly developed by Corsair or " a n other " OEM .

I agrreed

Rant over!

Since when is it ok for a company to release a product that doesn't not work as advertised and the customer has no right to complain.

I am lucky enough that so far it is working for me but I can not even run the latest Intel RSTe drivers cause the Link gives me BSOD. I have to choose which one I want for the BSOD to stop on top of that, I am not the only one.

Big problem... yes cause any hardware or software for that matter that cause BSOD is not ready for retail and if the problem creeps up after because of un-foreseen circumstances it needs to be remedied right away. Especially if it is BSOD. I don't see any response from Corsair that this problem even exists.

What happened to the customer is always right. Also for the most part... the average customer does not care where is comes from and who last owned it, etc. The customer wants to know if it is working and if it is not... it is broken. It is my right as a customer to complain as much as I want and as long as I want.

Corsair letting us to RMA and all that extra stuff shows me that they are a company that cares for the customer but as long as the cooler or my product is under warranty you best believe they need to be bending backwards to get my replacement product. It is there duty as a company.

And as was stated before.... how much time to you supposed is good? 3 years, 5 years, etc..

Corsair first announced the Corsair link on May 31st, 2011 and it wasn't till January 10th 2012 did they finally release the available of the Corsair link kits. From that day of the announcement, it has been 1 year and 7 months and I am pretty sure before the announcement Corsair was still working on the Link to get it right and hammer out all the bugs.

I wasn't even aware of these products til I got a flier in August. But still I say Corsair are fighting against outdated Microsoft drivers. Anyone else notice the firmware updates add a revision to the hardware IDs? That's the reason i went on to write my own drivers. Anyone can do it. The SDK is freely available from Silabs:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b255/Ripshod/mydriver_zps73edda68.png

If I can do it in 10 minutes, why don't Corsair??

Rant over!

Don't get me wrong, I am a big Corsair fan and have a lot of their products, but I am also one of the people who aren't happy with the way the Link has been handled so far. While I agree that problems always appear and companies provide updates as and when they are needed, but Link specifically has a very spotty history. Faults, crashes, bugs and BSOD etc etc and basically not doing what it is meant to. Considering the multitude of hardware this has to work with, it is no easy task and will take some time to get right, but how long is too long?

Also, it is completely irrelevant who the original code and drivers came from, it is Corsair who put their logo on the box and take our money which makes it their responsibility. If it needed more work they shouldn't have released it. However I suspect that there is not a lot of manpower/budget assigned to this particular division of the business (hence the lack of coherence between any software, firmware and complete lack of documentation) so releasing it anyway and using us as unofficial beta testers gets some funds back in to help development.

As for the RMAs, if it is under warranty then they are legally obliged to repair or replace, but unfortunately a lot of other companies do whatever they can to wriggle out of their responsibilities. So much credit and respect for Corsair for standing up and helping with such grace and professional attitudes. I myself have had good experiences with Corsair customer support, but the lack of information and evasive answers with anything regarding Link is unsurprisingly causing the people with system problems a lot more frustration.

Which leads to...

couldnt have said it better

its ok to post how you feel but to look for new threads to rant in i think is uncalled for and shows a lack of maturity

There are plenty of people who do this, and I agree it is not appropriate if it is not helping the original issue the post was created for, but there is also many people who will unnecessarily chime in on threads to express their opinions to the contrary of the complainers. I don't want to comment on whether I think it shows maturity or not, but everyone has an opinion and if people disagree it is the nature of the internet for them to argue, and most of the time people will assume the ones who disagree with them are misinformed, immature or just being trolls. I doubt that will ever change.

In my personal opinion, and I would like to emphasise that I am not claiming this to be gospel truth or anything, some of the problems may be caused by other hardware/software conflicts, but a lot of them are not. Those problems are Corsair's fault, and theirs to fix.

A lot of the problems which exist are also caused by the consumer installing things wrong, bricking things while trying to do updates, and not understanding what is happening and why things aren't working. Unfortunately that is never going to change and there is nothing Corsair or anyone else, can do to change that. However Corsair could, and I believe should, do something about minimising that by creating some official documentation. Installation instructions, firmware guides, driver download links etc in one place. Preferably on a support page connected to the Link product page.

Most of this information will exist in one place or another on these pages, but it is scattered, posted in the most random of places and none of it is official.

For example one of the best guides to firmwares was written by a forum member, Toasted, who has been exemplary in helping people and always trying to answer questions. If Corsair are not willing to do it themselves, they should pay him for a week to redo some of the information for them, as it is sorely needed.

Software/firmware programming does take some time, but how long will it take for a stable system?

The organisation of information would go a long way to solving problems for many people here and until that is done, then I think many people can and will continue to blame Corsair.

If I can do it in 10 minutes, why don't Corsair??

Exactly.

manannin

i agree with much of what you said and happen to feel basically the same

but one question ive ask many times with no adequate answer is

why is it we all use the same hardware AND software yet some have positive results,some have mixed results and some have terrible results?

manannin

i agree with much of what you said and happen to feel basically the same

but one question ive ask many times with no adequate answer is

why is it we all use the same hardware AND software yet some have positive results,some have mixed results and some have terrible results?

Because we don't use the same hardware and software. There are too many variables from the big ones like OS, virus software and even level of updates, to hardware like big things, motherboard, cpu etc down to small details like which slot certain cards are in etc, which USB header the Link is plugged into. I am willing to bet quite a lot that there are no two people on this forum with the same PC.

Then there is the human factor, as mentioned before, how people install the link, in what order, wrong firmwares and so on due to having to guess.

There are so many factors to take into account that could explain why the results differ.

There is another factor to take in hand... the tendency for people to always update, update, update... when it`s not really required.

First things first, install your hardware... second install da software... any version you like... and TRY it like that... before updating firmware or so...

Now... i had to RMA my H80 for a bad pump, and also bought an H100i for another computer, and i just installed what i needed... flashed nothing, and everything works perfect... with my H80 i have a CorsairLink kit with cooling node... and just the H100i on the other PC...

All is good... and since my setup works like this, i don't think i will change anything... because this is where i read people are having problems, it's when they start upgrading things like firmware, software... etc...

So I'm gonna ask here the pinned topics about the software/firmware updates be taken down. Or at lease rewritten explaining the errors that can occur. I does seem to me these are causing more problems than anything else.

Now, don't that make sense??

same goes for motherboard bios updates, my board has had 4 bios updates since Jan 2010 but when I read the issues the bios is correcting I don't have them therefore I don't update my bios and have never had a problem but I read other people crying about updating their bios and now they have problems.

Hey everybody I have a 2010 VW Jetta for sale, now I'm going to sell it to you at the price a 2013 goes for and steering wheel, tires, seats, and doors are optional. Sounds silly does it not. Like saying intel should release a cpu chip and if it does not work then they will adjust meanwhile your computer does not work. I like corsair, there products and support but this project is a disaster! Each product corsair develops must work in many environments, like ram or ssd. This should be no exception. I have not had any other issue with any other product corsair has put out (no matter what any hardware there is ALL WAYS a software side) I personally own ram and ssd's form this company which I never visited the forums once. So please don't defend Corsair on this product, while I know they are trying to correct it , it been a slow and painful process, again 2 steps forward one step back. A company this size should be able to iron out issues post haste and then work on adding features, but instead they are still working on making it just work! After 3 months they should have added more personal, after 6 months even more until they got it right. I would love nothing more than to come here and help people with a working product then hear more and more people complaining.

Hey everybody I have a 2010 VW Jetta for sale, now I'm going to sell it to you at the price a 2013 goes for and steering wheel, tires, seats, and doors are optional. Sounds silly does it not. Like saying intel should release a cpu chip and if it does not work then they will adjust meanwhile your computer does not work. I like corsair, there products and support but this project is a disaster! Each product corsair develops must work in many environments, like ram or ssd. This should be no exception. I have not had any other issue with any other product corsair has put out (no matter what any hardware there is ALL WAYS a software side) I personally own ram and ssd's form this company which I never visited the forums once. So please don't defend Corsair on this product, while I know they are trying to correct it , it been a slow and painful process, again 2 steps forward one step back. A company this size should be able to iron out issues post haste and then work on adding features, but instead they are still working on making it just work! After 3 months they should have added more personal, after 6 months even more until they got it right. I would love nothing more than to come here and help people with a working product then hear more and more people complaining.

many thx for the helpful reminder,id almost forgot some were having problems

So please don't remind us;): on this product,

Rant over!

ok, i'll bite.

corsair chose to use, and i'll paraphrase what you have said, a badly coded and abandoned system from another company, in the hopes of creating something from it.

well, they have failed.

who, in your opinion, should we blame?

who should i blame when some of the parts were not in the box when it arrived, or that some of the parts were faulty? or that because of the software corsair are using, it is causing problems for me elsewhere on my system?

yes, corsair have been good and very generous in the past with regards their warranty and rma and i do appreciate that.

however, i do not appreciate being sold a product that just simply does not work as intended.

fine, if i was a beta tester, but i'm not. i've paid good money for this, and were it not for the fact that it'd cost me as much as the cooler itself, i would've sent mine back by now.

as for your redundant comment about resellers jumping on bandwagons. how could resellers quibble about replacing components knowing full well that the system has faults?

as you can probably tell, i'm not happy with my product and it annoys me no end when some random such as yourself takes the time to tell me how i should feel about it, and that the inference is that it's probably my fault that it doesn't work

and really, do you really think corsair need you championing their corner?

A little bit of digging into the history of the USB interface and the Sierra services show the system was originally developed by CIS (CoolIt Systems). What Corsair are having to do is iron out a badly coded system that was given up by CoolIt, and to be honest, I don't think they're doing too bad a job.

Who says CoolIT gave up on it?

There is another factor to take in hand... the tendency for people to always update, update, update... when it`s not really required.

First things first, install your hardware... second install da software... any version you like... and TRY it like that... before updating firmware or so...

Now... i had to RMA my H80 for a bad pump, and also bought an H100i for another computer, and i just installed what i needed... flashed nothing, and everything works perfect... with my H80 i have a CorsairLink kit with cooling node... and just the H100i on the other PC...

All is good... and since my setup works like this, i don't think i will change anything... because this is where i read people are having problems, it's when they start upgrading things like firmware, software... etc...

+1 i agree

Rant over!

Don't blame Corsair? It's their Link software that is complete crap. I haven't had it installed for awhile now. It keeps accessing my SSD every 1/3 second or whatever. Uninstalling/rebooting/re-installing etc. did nothing to rectify the problem. It's a bug-ridden POS, honestly. I know the folks at Corsair are trying, but their software is, quite frankly, garbage. I had no troubles updating the firmware on my H100i. That wen't smoothly. But I am not getting maximum functionality out of my unit due to Corsair Link 2.2.0 being garbage. It's their piece of software. Damn right it's their fault too.

Give them a little time to get it right? Shouldn't they do that before releasing products to the public? We don't pay hard-earned money to be their beta testers.

Archived