Corsair Community

Hydro H80 cooling probs

Shammy497

I bought this cooler a year and a half ago. This cooler alsways worked as a charm till the beginning of this month.

I cleaned out my case fans and the radiator, like i do every month, but this time there went something wrong. Idle temps are still amazing good: around 27 degrees. (room temp is 24 degrees)

But on full load, cpu temps reaches about 70 degrees :(

Even just in bios, my cpu temp is even around 75 degrees...

Before these troubles my temps never reached above 50 degrees even while playing games like Battlefield 3, or rendering frames... Now while just loading a game, the temp reaches 70 degrees and above, even before playing :((

The profile selector on the unit doesn't do more than just making a lot of noise. Even at the 3rd lvl there isnt any change in temps. Fans on the radiator are in push/pull setup, and both fans spins as well.

I tried to renew the thermal paste on the cpu (with Arctic Silver 5), but it doesnt help.

I tried to do the reset on the unit like described somewhere else on this forum, but that even didnt help...

I dont overclock my cpu, it runs at stock speed.

Any suggestions i can try to do, or is this one ready for a RMA ?

Ok, room temps decreased till 22 degrees since yesterday, and the cooler seems to work again. CPU stressed gives a max temp around 50 degrees, which is ok.

I dont care that much if i have a loud, noisy cooler, as long as it keep my temps below the die temp. But this one failed at summer time, even on a non overclocked cpu (3930k)...

I got the H80...

The H80i doesnt excist for a year and a half yet...

Yes it does exist and has for the last year. So that is why RamGuy asked you.

http://www.corsair.com/us/cpu-cooling-kits/hydro-series-water-cooling-cpu-cooler/hydro-series-h80i-high-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler.html

I dont care that much if i have a loud, noisy cooler, as long as it keep my temps below the die temp. But this one failed at summer time, even on a non overclocked cpu (3930k)...

I wouldn't say that at all. It actually performed the way it was supposed to. You just can't get your temps much lower than ambient temps. So if yours are higher than normal in the summer then your performance is right on par.It would be no different if you were using a custom loop or a good air cooler. When it's hot you can only dissipate so much heat.

RPM is around 2200

This is the same on 1st lvl, 2nd lvl and even 3rd lvl.

(not sure where the noise comes from at 3rd lvl, the fans or the pump itself)

The fans are connected on the module.

The pumps speed does not change with the profiles. Only the fan speed. So if it's getting louder on different settings i would have to say it's the fans. Any chance you could post a video so we can see this too and it might give us a better idea of what you are hearing?

Archived