Corsair Community

VS1GBKIT400 and Asus a8n sli deluxe problems

luck02

No problem, please let me know!

I've run memtest 86 on my system several times since seeing my first BSOD on the new box...

Several items:

First time I ran it I got about 100ish errors, I turned the CAS latency back to 3.0 and it dropped down to 14...

Then I realized that my computer was marginally overclocked (5% AI Bios settings) so I've dropped that and run the test again... Now I'm getting 8 errors... These errors appeared in all 3 tests... And the memory addresses are the same across the board... In fact the failing bit is the same across the board (0010 0000)... Fails in test 5 and a similiar failure in test 6 as well

System: AMD-64 3000+

Asus a8n sli deluxe.

VS1GBKIT400 LOT#0504095-0

GB 6600GT video card.

So, is my ram bad?

Any other suggestions?

Gary

PS: When I have a little spare time i'm going to haul each stick out and test it individually...

I've run memtest 86 on my system several times since seeing my first BSOD on the new box...

Several items:

First time I ran it I got about 100ish errors, I turned the CAS latency back to 3.0 and it dropped down to 14...

Then I realized that my computer was marginally overclocked (5% AI Bios settings) so I've dropped that and run the test again... Now I'm getting 8 errors... These errors appeared in all 3 tests... And the memory addresses are the same across the board... In fact the failing bit is the same across the board (0010 0000)... Fails in test 5 and a similiar failure in test 6 as well

System: AMD-64 3000+

Asus a8n sli deluxe.

VS1GBKIT400 LOT#0504095-0

GB 6600GT video card.

So, is my ram bad?

Any other suggestions?

Gary

PS: When I have a little spare time i'm going to haul each stick out and test it individually...

Ok, after that first BSOD (MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION) I've now gotten it several times in quick succession.. usually within about 15 minutes of booting windows.... Machine was stable for most of a week... Very confused...

Gary

Gary

Please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org.

Tested each one, got errors on one of them... Brought the modules back to where I purchased them... THey did confirm some errors on one of the dimms... Gave me a replacement etc...

New modules are being tested in the new box as I type... So far so good.. their already past the failure point of the old modules...

So it's looking good... :):

Ok, it's all good... Ran memtest on the new modules... Several passes no errors... machine's been running prime95 and seti + me using it for most of the nite...

Question for the ram guy: I tried to Overclock this machine marginally (AI 10%ish) I upped the ram voltage by one step in the BIOS... That lasted about a day... Would that sort of thing contribute to ram failure?

Well over clocking will put more stress on the system, but a minor over clock I dount would make memory fail prematurly. Can you tell me the exact settings you had set?

Ok, I used AI settings for 5% for most of the week... (I don't know what that does, if anything, to the ddr voltage)

For a couple of days I upped the ddr voltage to 2.7v with the fsb set to 230ish.. I won't be doing that again until after the machine has been running stable for a month under load at least...

Archived