Corsair Community

7700K high temps with h100i extreme performance

jayesh

Im using an nzxt s340 elite with the radiator mounted at the front, fans are in push config. Using the default settings on the Z270F mobo with XMP enabled.

The contact is fine between the metal plate and cpu. My ambient temp is between 30-37C. I notice spikes to 80 on general tasks like opening google chrome. While gaming the temps are 75-88C with seldom spikes to 90-95C. Even when the AC is on at 18C, the temps reach 75-85 with spikes to 90.

I've already sent the cooler for RMA but I am still not sure if it's the cooler's fault. My fans run at 2350 rpm on 100% which doesnt really help. I see the same temperatures on quiet and 100% mode.

My GPU stays at 60-70 at all times under load, so I don't think it's an airflow issue or power issue.

The connections, the drivers, every thing is fine. Even changed the thermal paste a couple of times.

I mean you have left the BIOS CPU, voltage settings, etc. in their original state. The Z270 and Z370 boards are notoriously hot with their factory default settings. Things like Multi-Core Enhancement and Auto Voltage need to be turned off or modified. It is not uncommon for a fresh out of the box processor to run hotter than someone overclocking up to near 5.0 GHz and that is because the auto voltage table provides more than enough to run at 5.0 GHz, even when you are not.

1.26v is not an extreme amount and should not cause this type of heat. However, it is possible you did not trigger the necessary conditions for MCE or some of the other "helpful" Asus features to pile on the voltage. Keep an eye on the peak Vcore when gaming or the next time you see these really high temps.

Also, you can turn the fans down and stop driving yourself crazy. Fan speed is not the dominant temperature factor with these set-ups. Coolant temperature (H100i v2 Temp) will rise with sustained CPU activity. Typical load values for a 7700K might be about +6C, with gaming changes closer to +10C when factoring in the increase in case ambient temperature (GPU waste heat). The fans affect that value so you are looking at single digit 2-4C reductions in most cases. Not enough to pull you out of the concern area and not the real problem, unless you see coolant temp changes of +12-20C.

This is a bit overly technical, but it does have some helpful bits. We can help you with the settings and most of us learned the hard way how hot these things run right out of the box.

Archived