Corsair Community

4 dimm Instability or incompatibility, I need help

yghrt

Hey community,

I have an issue with my two slightly different kits CMK8GX4M2B3000C15 and CMK8GX4M2B3000C15R where the only difference is the color (its a 2x4gb 3000mhz cl15 kit twice, making 4x4gb), both of them are VER 5.20, and I'm using them in an Asus strix b350-f motherboard, which lists this memory in their QVL. Extra spec info: PSU - FSP Hexa+ 500 | GPU - GTX 1060.

So, the problem is when I use only 2 dimms from the same color It's working fine at 2933mhz, and when I mix 1 red and 1 black it boots for the third time trying and works after that, but when I use all 4, I can't boot into bios with 2933mhz, It's resetting to 2133 and when I boot into windows the system is unstable even with 2133 defaults, getting BSOD-s, system hangs, hardware failure.

So what I tried so far:

• Update bios | Downgrade bios | Modded bios and everything listed below with all bios versions
  • Manually set the timings to 15-17-17-17-35 (extra 17 is because my mobo)
  • Manually set DRAM Voltage to 1.350
  • Try to fiddle with VPP_MEM Voltage
  • Increasing VTDDR Voltage
  • SoC voltage at 1.1v
  • ProcODT at 60ohm
  • CMD at 2T
  • CLDO_VDDP at 965 - 975
  • Memory interleaving mode channel
  • Loosen timings to 16-18-18-18-40
  • Increase DRAM Voltage to 1.380v to 1.400v
  • Fiddle with other timings not being set by D.O.C.P. but being able to read out from SPD
  • CPU LLC and SOC LLC tried from regular to extreme
  • Try other frequencies like 2800mhz, It boots up but Is unstable in everything, just like the default 2133mhz
  • Ran memtest with all of them individually, and with all 4 dimms no problems
  • Testing/Benchmarking/Stress testing only fails at Aida memory stress test when ram usage reaches 13-15gb, and have gaming issues, most commonly a failing gpu driver, other drivers fail too, and lots of errors in the event log.

Any ideas what else can I do to make this even stable at least at 2133mhz?

Or is this some other issue.

Have you verified via Thaiphoon Burner that both kits actually use the same type of DRAM IC?

In general mixing kits can be hit and miss and it is not always possible to fix issues via manual adjustments of (sub-) timings and/or volages. In adition to that the Ryzen memory controller has a lower max frequency rating with four modules installed, so that might come into play as well.

I have verified via Thaiphoon Burner that both kits use the same type, everything is identical. I think the issue is the V5.20 version of both kits, is this a right assumption at this point?

• Corsair Employee
I have verified via Thaiphoon Burner that both kits use the same type, everything is identical. I think the issue is the V5.20 version of both kits, is this a right assumption at this point?

That's a right assumption, unfortunately something you can easily run into when modules are not all from the same kit even if every other single thing matches.

-Art

I have finally managed to get it stable, the problem was the DRAM VOLTAGE, seems like more than 1.2V for DRAM is too much for a component in my pc, maybe the motherboard, or some power issues from my PSU. But I managed to get it stable at 2800mhz and 1.2V, which for I can call myself lucky to get it run at such low voltage with that high clockspeed, and being stable.

I'll list the current settings if someone finds it usefull:

Modified BIOS Version (0809 with AMD_CBS menu unlocked)

DRAM voltage - 1.2V

Timings- 16-16-16-16-36-52

ProcODT - Auto

Command rate - Auto

SoC voltage - 1.1v

Rest is left on auto

• Corsair Employee
I have finally managed to get it stable, the problem was the DRAM VOLTAGE, seems like more than 1.2V for DRAM is too much for a component in my pc, maybe the motherboard, or some power issues from my PSU. But I managed to get it stable at 2800mhz and 1.2V, which for I can call myself lucky to get it run at such low voltage with that high clockspeed, and being stable.

I'll list the current settings if someone finds it usefull:

Modified BIOS Version (0809 with AMD_CBS menu unlocked)

DRAM voltage - 1.2V

Timings- 16-16-16-16-36-52

ProcODT - Auto

Command rate - Auto

SoC voltage - 1.1v

Rest is left on auto

That's good to hear.

-Art

Archived