Corsair Community

microSD-1Gb - Data Error (cyclic redundancy check)

stev

Hi RamGuy!

Last week I had purchased a 1Gb MicroSD device (CMFSDMICRO-1GB) from NewEgg for my son's Virgin Mobile Kyocera Kx5b, Sonic Slider cell phone.

The shipment arrived well packed and safe. :cool: He used the phone to format the card. Everything looked very well. The phone stated the card had 1017Mb of space. Next, the tiny microSD fit well into the microSD adapter and was recognized in the eMachines computer card reader. So, he went to copy about 346Mb of data to it. The process took a little time to complete.

Once the microSD was placed back into the phone, things were listed there but were not accessible. Our next quest was to search the web and found out that most everyone first formats these types of microSD/transflash cards in the computer. So, we went back to the eMachines card reader and tried to format the microSD. WindowsXP could not format the microSD card. It mentioned that the card was "read-only." I thought, OK, he forgot to move the white tab from LOCK to UNLOCK. Well, the adaptor was in the UNLOCK state with the white switch. Now that was so strange. I then moved the white switch back and forth to see if that would resolve any mechanical issues. Nope. :(:

So, the data wasn't readable by the phone, but the computer displayed it. We tried to access the data via the computer, but it now gave this error and then that file disappeared! "Data Error (cyclic redundancy check)." Every time we accessed a file on the card, it would disappear and give that error. This was getting really strange. :confused:

Are there any solutions for this? :idea:

Peace!

Stev

The HydroCool Guy! :)

• Corsair Employee

Hey Stev!

I would try and format the card from a command prompt in your desktop system using this syntax:

Format (X:) /FS:FAT32 /U (X=the drive letter assigned to the Flash Voyager)

If that does not work then please contact our Customer Service and we will be happy to replace it!

Please use the RMA request found in TSXpress or follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! And please note that you are from the forum!

Ram Guy,

Well, I tried your advise using the Format (X:) /FS:FAT32 /U (X=the drive letter assigned to the memory card.)

This is the results:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

<C> Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\USER-01> format f: /fs:fat32 /u

Insert new disk for drive F:

and press ENTER when ready...

The type of the file system is FAT.

The new file system is FAT32.

Verifying 970M

--- NOTE: it reads 1 percent complete to 100 percent complete while formatting, then at the end is the following message:

Invalid media or Track 0 bad - disk unusable.

I'll try the TSXpress.

On a separate note, the format trick worked on a fussy Seagate drive I couldn't get to work in XP before. :D:

Stev

The Hydrocool Guy :)

You might consider using a different card reader. I didn't think it mattered at all, but it made a HUGE difference in speed in my case.

I was using generic card reader, then I got a SanDisk MobileMate SD+ for my laptop and I compared the speed using different cards and it gave me like 1/3 gain in speed for all cards of all brands.

So, I wouldn't be surprised if a junk card reader causes data trouble especially when you have adapter business going on. The MobileMate SD+ is like $15 at Best Buy and it can directly accept MicroSD. It looks like a USB flashdrive with slots on the side for inserting the card.

The white switch on the side has no electrical function and it simply pushes in a tab inside the reader, so if it is not detecting properly, it is your reader. For formatting, I recommend using Panasonic SD Formatter, which you can download for free. Google it.

• 5 weeks later...
Let's get it replaced. Please use the RMA request found in TSXpress or follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! And please note that you are from the forum!

He-he. I just received the replacement today. Not bad for nearly a 30 day turn around. :o: There was a mix-up at the Corsair office, once I called x-279, they got it resolved instantly. :biggrin:

I made sure the Virgin Mobile phone "Sonic Slider" did NOT format the microSD. Rather, I used your advice of Format (X:) /FS:FAT32 /U (X=the drive letter assigned) to the microSD card in the SD jacket via the Windows "MS-DOS Command prompt."

Everything thus far is working. We'll see how it holds up in the next few days.

Good work guys!

Peace!

Stev

• 4 months later...

Archived