Corsair Community

Selecting a Corsair gaming keyboard

berlin88

With the help of several people here on the forums, I recently selected a new gaming mouse (Dark Core RGB SE) which will soon be arriving, and have now decided I might as well upgrade the keyboard as well.

I don't currently have a gaming keyboard or mouse, so I have just been using a regular non gaming keyboard / mouse.

Therefore, I would like some recommendations on which Corsair gaming keyboard I should get. I would prefer something that is say midrange in price, as I don't want to spend $200 on a keyboard, but would still like to get something decent. Perhaps a budget of $100 or so, if that's realistic for a decent mid range gaming keyboard.

The K68 seems to get decent reviews, so that might be a starting point for discussion.

I have tended to use wireless keyboards in the past, but I understand that many gaming keyboards are wired, so its probably not a huge deal if I end up with a wired gaming keyboard.

Any keyboard I get would obviously be paired with the Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, so please take that into consideration.

Happy owner of a K63 Wireless Tenkeyless SE. :)

You can also hit MicroCenter and get the K95 Platinum Corsair Refurbed for $120.

While $120 is not a bad price, I think I would rather buy something brand new, instead of getting a refurbished keyboard. I am sure many of the refurbished keyboards are great, but I don't feel comfortable spending $100+ on a refurbished board, regardless of how good it might be.

The K63 Wireless certainly fits in my $100 price range, but is it the best option in that price range?

The Choices in the under $100 price range seem to be as follows:

Strafe Red LED - $90

K63 Wireless - $100

K68 RGB - $120 (I recall seeing this for a cheaper price over the weekend)

K65 RGB - $80

K70 RGB Rapidfire - $100

K55 RGB - $50

Strafe RGB - $100

I would suggest you visit a store that sells Corsair's units, and try them out to determine which is best for you. I use the K63 Wireless because of the smaller footprint on my desk, the Bluetooth function for connecting to my laptop, and MX Red switches. There is no RGB on my model, and it's their only wireless. Plus they have a great lapboard for it.

I also have the Special Edition because I prefer the contrast of color of their Ice Blue vs Cobalt Blue on the standard.

The K70 LUX is only 138 on Amazon. The K70 series are the best keyboards out there in my opinion especially for those just venturing in the mechanical keyboards. Main reason i say this is because of the variety of switches they offer. I'm typing on the Blue switches as of now As they are my personal favorite. You can always change the key caps later on to a higher standard but for now since you are new you don't need to do that. If you really want the wireless getthe k63 but I prefer all of my boards to be wired. I you want to spend a few more dollars the k70 mk.2 is even better with build quality,etc. But always try the switches. I have the 95 platinum with the speed switches too but keep going back to this board as it's just my personal preference.

Just a quick update:

Instead of getting the Glaive RGB mouse, I have switched to the Dark Core RGB SE mouse. The mouse is now currently sitting in a box on my desk and waiting to be opened. It was a bit of a last minute decision, but I decided to splurge a little.

If this changes anyone's opinion about which gaming keyboard to get, fell free to comment.

Along with that, I am also now In the market for a mouse pad to pair with my Dark Core RGB SE mouse, so feel free to make suggestions on that as well.

Congrats on your Dark Core purchase. :) You now have 1/2 of my setup.

As for a pad, you need to decide whether you want a hard or cloth surface. Hard is better for glide, but will wear out your mouse feet. (Looking at you, Ratpadz!) IIRC Corsair sells one that has both surfaces, if you wish to experiment.

As for keyboard, do you want to continue to go wireless?

Congrats on your Dark Core purchase. :) You now have 1/2 of my setup.

As for a pad, you need to decide whether you want a hard or cloth surface. Hard is better for glide, but will wear out your mouse feet. (Looking at you, Ratpadz!) IIRC Corsair sells one that has both surfaces, if you wish to experiment.

As for keyboard, do you want to continue to go wireless?

For the mouse pad, I am likely going to go the cheapo route and just get the MM600, since its only $25 and comes with free same day shipping if I order something else with it as well. I assume this would be a decent choice?

I really like the MM800 RGB mouse pad and the MM1000 also looks good, but I don't know if spending $50-70 on a mouse pad is a wise use of my money.

In regards to the keyboard, I haven't used a wired keyboard on my personnel computer in years, but neither have I used a genuine gaming keyboard. I have just been using a generic Logitech wireless keyboard.

My computer is on the floor next to my desk, as opposed to sitting on top of the desk, so that might complicate things a bit, if the wired keyboard didn't have a long enough cable.

I am just looking to get the best overall gaming keyboard for roughly $100 or less. If there is likely to be a good Black Friday deal, I am open to waiting a few weeks to purchase one, otherwise I will likely just grab one now.

The cable length on wired ones is quite generous, so that should be a non-issue. As for wireless, there's only one option, the K63, in either Cobalt Blue or Ice Blue (Special Edition). I have the SE one, and as a mechanical keyboard, the MX Red is quieter than some of the other switches, and types well for me.

And like the Dark Core, can operate wired, dongle, or Bluetooth. It is Tenkeyless, if that is an issue for you. It's not for me, since my laptop has a numpad if needed.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got my Corsair gaming keyboard, after deciding to wait for Black Friday specials.

I got the CORSAIR K70 RGB MK.2 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - USB Passthrough & Media Controls - Tactile & Clicky - Cherry MX Blue - RGB LED Backlit

There were numerous versions of the K70 on sale during Black Friday, and I ultimately just went with the cheapest Mk2 RGB version. $110 + tax.

They also had the K95 platinum on sale, but I didn't feel like spending the extra $30-40 on the K95, when the K70 offers everything I need.

This thread can now be closed.

Archived