Corsair Community

Account Picture Error

Galanek

Hello all,

I've recently got the Corsair One Elite and I am having an issue that another user posted about last year.

It regards trying to change the user account picture from the default Corsair One icon.

At first I suspected it was a problem with Windows since an update, so I've opted to factory reset the Corsair One, however the problem still persists.

When I try and change my account picture (Or that of any other user) I get the OSM "Account picture error

Setting the account picture failed. Please try again."

I am hesitant to do a clean install from external media in-case I lose any ability to install the Corsair software again to a working state.

I am wondering perhaps if there is something in the recovery build on the Corsair One that could cause this problem?

I know it's a super minor thing, but it's something that will bug me over time.

I have tried most solutions I can currently google as there is general issues with Windows 10 and this error, however they can be resolved using the methods in these posts, whereas this one seems to be specific to the One.

Any help would be fantastic.

Best,

Daniel

• Corsair Employee
Hello all,

I've recently got the Corsair One Elite and I am having an issue that another user posted about last year.

It regards trying to change the user account picture from the default Corsair One icon.

At first I suspected it was a problem with Windows since an update, so I've opted to factory reset the Corsair One, however the problem still persists.

When I try and change my account picture (Or that of any other user) I get the OSM "Account picture error

Setting the account picture failed. Please try again."

I am hesitant to do a clean install from external media in-case I lose any ability to install the Corsair software again to a working state.

I am wondering perhaps if there is something in the recovery build on the Corsair One that could cause this problem?

I know it's a super minor thing, but it's something that will bug me over time.

I have tried most solutions I can currently google as there is general issues with Windows 10 and this error, however they can be resolved using the methods in these posts, whereas this one seems to be specific to the One.

Any help would be fantastic.

Best,

Daniel

that's strange...try disable any 3rd party security software you have installed (if any) and see if that help.

Hi StormShadow,

Thank you for the reply. There isn't any third party security software installed. I did a factory reset so that it would be totally clean.

The Corsair default images located in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\User Account Pictures are present, however in the registry key for individual User images located at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AccountPicture\Users there are no SID entries.

Likewise with C:\Users\Public\AccountPictures, even with system and hidden files shown there are no SID, this is also the case when creating a new User both with and without a Microsoft account, so the issue also persists through new users.

• 1 year later...
I have the same issue with my i160. It's ridiculous that there is no response from Corsair on this. I didn't drop $3500 on a system just so I couldn't personalize it. If we don't get an answer to this - it's getting sent back.

I think this is more of a Windows problem than a problem with your Corsair One. I've had this problem with Windows 10 on other PCs. A work-around is here:

https://techdows.com/2017/11/setting-the-account-picture-failed-error-windows-10.html

In sum, save a BMP or PNG version of the picture you want to use and, in the folder referenced in the link above, replace the user.png (or .bmp) and all the user-xx. png (or .bmp) files with your photo. You can do either BMP or PNG; no need to do both.

Edited by Queeg

Sadly none of that works. It has to be an issue with Corsair’s initial bloatware bundle because it exists from the moment you open the box.

I noticed early on that the normal permissions to even make adjustments to the user account from the start menu icon bar (where your mini user pic is located) were also truncated and didn’t have the normal options.

I tried deleting the bloatware one-by-one but the permissions weren’t restored. When I tried to do a windows reset, PC Doctor (Corsair’s Diagnostic Utility) had reinstalled itself. So I ended up doing a windows refresh which restored ONLY programs included natively in Windows. The result? ALL the Corsair bloatware returned including Corsair Diagnostics.

SOLUTION: A clean install of Win 10 (not a reset or refresh) from a USB wiped all of the Corsair bloatware and restored full functionality to the system accounts and pictures. I re-added iCue without issue. Bottom line is that this should never happen with a new purchase. Hopefully the folks at Corsair can tweak their initial software package for future customers and avoid scratching their heads, shrugging, and blaming the antivirus. As a minimum, it would be great if they responded with a solution instead of saying ‘hmmm that’s weird’ and disappearing.

• 3 weeks later...

***Change Prevent Changing Account Picture Using Registry***

If you don’t have access to the Group Policy Editor, you can do the same thing via Registry Editor.

1. Search for “regedit” in the Start menu, right-click on it and select the option “Run as administrator.”

2. In the Registry Editor go to the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

change-default-icon-win10-go-to-key

3. In the right panel right-click and select “New -> DWORD (32-bit) Value.” Name the new value as “UseDefaultTile.”

4. If the value is a 1. Double-click on the value, set the Value Data as “0” and click on the “OK” button.

change-default-icon-win10-set-value-data

((((This may solve your problem. If it is set to 1 then set it to 0. Worked for me and it is a quick simple solution.))))

If you want to revert back so that picture cannot be changed then change the value data to “1” or delete the value.

***Change Prevent Changing Account Picture Using Registry***

If you don’t have access to the Group Policy Editor, you can do the same thing via Registry Editor.

1. Search for “regedit” in the Start menu, right-click on it and select the option “Run as administrator.”

2. In the Registry Editor go to the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

change-default-icon-win10-go-to-key

3. In the right panel right-click and select “New -> DWORD (32-bit) Value.” Name the new value as “UseDefaultTile.”

4. If the value is a 1. Double-click on the value, set the Value Data as “0” and click on the “OK” button.

change-default-icon-win10-set-value-data

((((This may solve your problem. If it is set to 1 then set it to 0. Worked for me and it is a quick simple solution.))))

If you want to revert back so that picture cannot be changed then change the value data to “1” or delete the value.

This fix worked for me.

• 8 months later...