Corsair Community

Crystal 280X 6 Fan Setup Question

PrimeBuilder

I'm trying to figure out how to use the bottom two fans in this case. If I use them as an intake, then it will blow the expelled GPU heat back onto the GPU card and increase ambient temps inside the case. Using the bottom two fans as exhaust doesn't make sense either, since you're going against the natural properties of hot air(hot air rises), and trying to blow hot air down - which would seem to hover there due to the small spacing at the bottom of the case, and then be recycled back into the case? The official video Shows the bottom two fans being used as exhaust fans.

The two fans on my EVGA RTX 2080 are opposite facing the two bottom fans. What is the optimal configuration for the bottom 2 fans?

2 in front - intake

2 up top - exhaust

2 on bottom - ??

• 3 weeks later...

I want to ask one question for the same situation. I have 280X RGB chassis and i want to set up 6 fans exactly like DevBiker said but at top i have a 240 mm AIO radiator and if i set up 2 bottom as intake and radiator fans as exhaust, i believe that hot air can't go out because radiator prevents air flow. Also i am using GTX 1080 Ti which runs hot. So hot air inside the chassis can cause cpu temperature go higher.

What if i set up front fans as exhaust, aio radiator fans as exhaust and bottom two as intake? Do you think this can be better configuration?

I want to ask one question for the same situation. I have 280X RGB chassis and i want to set up 6 fans exactly like DevBiker said but at top i have a 240 mm AIO radiator and if i set up 2 bottom as intake and radiator fans as exhaust, i believe that hot air can't go out because radiator prevents air flow.

What gave you this particular notion? Not accurate at all.

Also i am using GTX 1080 Ti which runs hot. So hot air inside the chassis can cause cpu temperature go higher.

Yes, but with a liquid cooled CPU, not directly. With an AIO configured as exhaust, the GPU heat warms up the coolant, which is the baseline temperature for the CPU. And yes, the 1080Ti runs warm.

What if i set up front fans as exhaust, aio radiator fans as exhaust and bottom two as intake? Do you think this can be better configuration?

Then you'll have negative pressure .... so no, not a better configuration. It's one that will give you a nice, dusty case though. Plus you won't have much cool air coming into the case to counteract the heat generated by the GPU.

I really recommend putting the radiator as front intake. That's how mine is set up and it seems to be the best fit. It also avoids the whole GPU Heat through the radiator problem.

The problem is my GTX 1080 Ti model is too log to fit radiator in front as intake. The only option is to use AIO at top.

The problem is my GTX 1080 Ti model is too log to fit radiator in front as intake. The only option is to use AIO at top.

Ah, well, that is a consideration. With the heat from a 1080Ti, in that case, I'd like look to use the bottom fans as intake as well. Unfortunately, that top radiator is going to be your only exhaust so you'll have GPU heat impacting the cooler. The only way to overcome that is with lots of inbound cooler air. It'll give you massive positive pressure so you'll lost a bit of control over the airflow but you should be able to make it work. I would also suggest running a custom fan curve on the cooler - don't let it get hot at all. Yes, you'll generate the same amount of heat but it'll be spread out better and easier to manage. The default fan curves will keep the fans off until a certain temperature and then keep them quite low until it gets hot .... so you'll wind up with bursts of heat rather than steady heat.

• 5 weeks later...
I really recommend putting the radiator as front intake. That's how mine is set up and it seems to be the best fit. It also avoids the whole GPU Heat through the radiator problem.

Hi DevBiker,

Which AOI cooler do you have, and where did you place the fans?

Also do you have the hoses at the top of the case or bottom for the rad?

• 3 months later...

Hello, resurrecting an old post here. One of the users in this forum( Forgetting his username) recommended having two smaller fans where the back grills are for exhaust. He had to drill two holes for the fans however I was curious if anyone else has done this. I think it’s a great idea and I’d like to do the same however I don’t want to drill

Holes.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Hello, resurrecting an old post here. One of the users in this forum( Forgetting his username) recommended having two smaller fans where the back grills are for exhaust. He had to drill two holes for the fans however I was curious if anyone else has done this. I think it’s a great idea and I’d like to do the same however I don’t want to drill

Holes.

You could put fans there but leaving it open and with enough intake air flow the hot air and positive pressure created by more intake than exhaust fans will naturally push the warm are out that rear vent. The extra air has to go somewhere and with 4 intake and 2 exhaust it will force it out any hole it can find.

Holes.

feel like you're talking about me, but idk for sure.

anyways the fans only don't make much sense on their own with an aio and positive pressure setup.

it would probably make sense with an aircooler, or like in my case, if you were to put a radiator there for a custom loop.