Corsair Community

Connecting the SATA cables to the 800D... this should be in the manual

MJinZ

Just thought that Corsair should put this information out there in their manual or quick start guide.

If you do not slightly loosen the SATA 4x in-line power cable (included in the case) (by bending each portion slightly), the connectors will not line up perfectly with the Hotswap backplate connectors and the force from the stiff cables will likely bend out or even break the connector.

Had the same thing. The distance between each of the 4 connectors on the power cable is slightly longer than the actual distance between each backplate power connector. The rigidness of the cable put a lot of force on each connector.

I also had the same problem & employed the same solution. If you do not create a radius in the cable, too much lateral force is applied to the backplane. Perhaps this is the root cause of the large number of backplane problems that have been noted on this case. I strongly suggest that Corsair double check the connector spacing spec for this cable, as well as the QC of the cable fabricator.

I also had the same problem & employed the same solution. If you do not create a radius in the cable, too much lateral force is applied to the backplane. Perhaps this is the root cause of the large number of backplane problems that have been noted on this case. I strongly suggest that Corsair double check the connector spacing spec for this cable, as well as the QC of the cable fabricator.

This is probably a good illustration of the fact that the 800D is Corsair's first case product. Overall a great problem, but there are these niggling little problems that should have been caught during design or useability reviews, but weren't. :eek:

Why did this happen? :confused: Because! :D:

x509

This is probably a good illustration of the fact that the 800D is Corsair's first case product. Overall a great problem, but there are these niggling little problems that should have been caught during design or useability reviews, but weren't. :eek:

Why did this happen? :confused: Because! :D:

x509

Ooops. I meant to say, "Overall a great product ..." :o: :o:

x509

• 3 weeks later...

I just read a review of the 800D ( http://www.thinkcomputers.org/corsair-obsidian-series-800d-case-review/ ), and noticed their photo of the hotswap backplates. Look at the angle of the top power connector! I'm amazed if that's not going to cause problems. I wonder how many other people have connected them like that.

http://www.thinkcomputers.org/reviews/corsair_800d/44.jpg

I just read a review of the 800D ( http://www.thinkcomputers.org/corsair-obsidian-series-800d-case-review/ ), and noticed their photo of the hotswap backplates. Look at the angle of the top power connector! I'm amazed if that's not going to cause problems. I wonder how many other people have connected them like that.

http://www.thinkcomputers.org/reviews/corsair_800d/44.jpg

I would say most. And that thing will break, it is pretty much an inevitability.

And when Corsair gets tired of spending money sending people new backplates, they'll provide updated instructions or updates cables.

It could simply be that the connector was not fully seated when that picture was taken. There is some flexibility in that section of cable in between each connector. So far, it has not been an issue of note.

It's clearly fully seated. The power connector won't go further in than what is shown in the photo.

Also, I find it a bit odd that you dismiss it as "not an issue of note", when there's been a few problems with these backplates, both here as well as reports I have observed on other forums. These backplates are basically just passthroughs, there's not a lot that can go wrong with them, so it's not unthinkable to blame tension on the connectors.

First, you can't tell from that picture that it is or is not fully seated. And by "not an issue of note" I can say from our internal records and RMA numbers, there is no widespread issue related to the connectors. We do pay attention to posts like this and to what goes on in our RMA dept.

First, you can't tell from that picture that it is or is not fully seated. And by "not an issue of note" I can say from our internal records and RMA numbers, there is no widespread issue related to the connectors. We do pay attention to posts like this and to what goes on in our RMA dept.

I have the 800D myself, and the power connector sticks out about 0.5 cm more compared to the SATA connector, mine look exactly like the photo when fully attached (just not the connector being horribly bent).

You can compare to MJinZ's photo, look at the bottom backplate connectors, you can clearly see they are fully seated, and that the power connector sticks out a lot more than the SATA connector.

If it is causing you issues, we'll gladly replace it. The RMA link is on the left of this page.

I'm not having any issues with this (read my previous post again).

I posted the photo from that review in an attempt to point out how horrible the strain on the connector can get.

1: This seems to be an isolated problem affecting a very small number of the cases.

Well, "isolated" I don't know. I work at a computer retailer and I have done a handful of 800D builds, as well as two cases I had myself (I returned the first one), they came from a random lot of 100+ cases from our warehouse, and they all had the same "problem" with the power cable (connectors spaced too far apart).

Simply making the back-plane power cables out of more flexible wire could insure that this doesn't become a "problem of note'!

I had the same problem with mine except I just dealt with it.

Just my thoughts.

note: Your customers are trying to make a suggestion about one of your products, they are not badmouthing the product.

Several have made note about the same thing, just pointing out a way to improve the product, yet you are telling them that they don't know

what they are talking about.

I'm sorry but I don't call that good customer relations !

OK Ban me !!

Simply making the back-plane power cables out of more flexible wire could insure that this doesn't become a "problem of note'!

I had the same problem with mine except I just dealt with it.

Just my thoughts.

note: Your customers are trying to make a suggestion about one of your products, they are not badmouthing the product.

Several have made note about the same thing, just pointing out a way to improve the product, yet you are telling them that they don't know

what they are talking about.

I'm sorry but I don't call that good customer relations !

OK Ban me !!

This is a friendly discussion, there's no reason to ban anyone. And, keep in mind that we don't come out and make huge announcements every time there is a mention of a SMALL problem. We saw this issue a LONG time ago and it's been handled. Just because there is a review picture or a forum picture, it does not mean it was discovered just yesterday. We appreciate the input but as I already said; this was a VERY minor issue affecting a tiny number of the overall cases and we've been aware of it for quite some time.

Archived