Corsair Community

Firmware upgrade tool not detecting SSD

Falaris

I am having this problem as well. I have tried the upgrade procedure with a bootable USB drive on 3 PC's (Asus P6T Deluxe V2 w/ i7-920, Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD3 w/ i5-750, and an old DFI Lanparty Nforce4 chipset board w/ AMD 4800+) and an Asus G71g Laptop. The DOSRD1_0.exe runs fine but all the machines are showing no SSD found. I have tried both IDE and ACHI settings in the bios. I have ensured that it is not plugged into any raid controller. I have tried all SATA channels just to make sure. I have turned off all overclocking, I am truly at a loss as to what else I can do.

I purchased my P128 from Newegg and the drive comes up as a P0-09451070-11970675 in ACHI mode and a PM-09451070-11970675 in IDE mode.

Here are the details from Newegg showing date purchased:

# Corsair P128 (CMFSSD-128GBG2D) 2.5" 128GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Retail53853895 (N82E16820233087)

# 53853895

# 11/23/2009

Here are the Hardware ID's from the device manager details.

IDE\Disk09451070-11970675_______________________VBM18C1Q

IDE\09451070-11970675_______________________VBM18C1Q

IDE\Disk09451070-11970675_______________________

09451070-11970675_______________________VBM18C1Q

GenDisk

It shows the correct original firmware version so it should be upgradable. I have exhausted these forums looking for any ideas and am no layman around a computer (Im old.. 20+ years building my own computers). If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know, I would really like to get this taken care of.

thanks in advance,

-Fal

How exactly did you create your usb boot drive? Did you use FAT or FAT32 file system in order to format it?

FAT file system has certain limitations, it will not create partitions over 2GB.

So if you have a usb drive with a capacity larger than 2GB you will only have the option to format with FAT 32 file system to make it bootable.

If that doesn't work and this is because of some bios limitations try with a usb drive with a capacity lower than 2 GB, in that way you will have also the option to format your drive with the FAT file system. Copy the necessary files for the firmware update, reboot and tell how you did it.

As I stated in my post..

The DOSRD1_0.exe runs fine but all the machines are showing no SSD found.

Therefore the bootable USB is working fine in all the machines. I did have the older machine need the FAT instead of the FAT32 so I have formatted it in both formats. The USB drive is a 2gig so I never had the 2gig limitation come into play anyways. Reguardless it is booting and loading the win98 files fine and executes the DOSRD1_0.exe but then fails to find the drive.

Thanks for the input.. but I am way past that and it is not the issue.

-Fal

Every word of it.

Did you read my original post? I tried this on multiple machines and in every configuration possible. The guide you are linking is how to make a bootable USB drive. I have a USB drive that has booted in every machine I have tried it in. THE BOOT IS NOT THE PROBLEM, the detection of the drive is. I am sorry for the frustration and understand you are trying to help.. but I am not some inexperienced wannabe tech. I was hoping my details in my post would be enough to bypass the generic and fruitless responses. It might be possible that the drive hardware ID's could be causing the mis-detection of the drive. Or that someone could note that some nuance of the hardware controllers on the motherboards I listed would cause the drive to not be detected or something. I am going to try and dig up some OLD MSDOS (not win98) boot files and try that later today.

Again.. I appreciate your attempt to help but I have tried all the simple fixes and am sure that I am following the procedure correctly. I am hoping some more technical insight might be posted by someone that could point me in the right direction.

-Fal

As stated in my original post..

I have tried both IDE and ACHI settings in the bios. I have ensured that it is not plugged into any raid controller. I have tried all SATA channels just to make sure.

It has been detected in bios everytime.. also shown by this in my original post..

I purchased my P128 from Newegg and the drive comes up as a P0-09451070-11970675 in ACHI mode and a PM-09451070-11970675 in IDE mode.

That information was taken from the BIOS boot detection and in BIOS setup.

Thanks for trying..

-Fal

Im pretty sure you updated it but is the MB bios up to date too? Just in case...

If so, Im out of option... since it worked perfectly for me on my P5K deluxe. AHCI and IDE detected it.

The other thing I did was booting with the UBCD in dos and flashing it from a usb drive set in FAT16

Maybe its the DOS version your are booting from that may affect detection... who knows

I thought of that as well.. on my main machine, the Asus P6T, I was using a bios a few versions back. Just in case it could be a factor I did update it last night to the most recent 704 version. It made no difference.

You did come up with one more thing that I did not list in my original post.. but had already tried, thanks for trying to think of everything though!

Hopefully someone else has fixed a detection issue for themselves and can post something else to try.

-Fal

I saw something interesting.

check my ID description:

IDE\DiskCORSAIR_CMFSSD-128GBG2D_________________VBM19C1Q

IDE\CORSAIR_CMFSSD-128GBG2D_________________VBM19C1Q

IDE\DiskCORSAIR_CMFSSD-128GBG2D_________________

CORSAIR_CMFSSD-128GBG2D_________________VBM19C1Q

GenDisk

Your are different and not stating corsair as mine. Maybe thats why.

It like yours in not having a name at all. It doenst even mention corsair

Did you ever do a Enhanced secure erase on this drive?

So from the look of your ID and mine, its normal its not detecting it, ecause the name of the SSD is not even there.

WHY? good question... I guess Corsair will be more in place to help you than us for this now.

Oh another thing too I flashed mine from the Intel controler ( ICHR ) Maybe some other controler (Jmicron or else) have problems...

Every word of it.

Did you read my original post? I tried this on multiple machines and in every configuration possible. The guide you are linking is how to make a bootable USB drive. I have a USB drive that has booted in every machine I have tried it in. THE BOOT IS NOT THE PROBLEM, the detection of the drive is. I am sorry for the frustration and understand you are trying to help.. but I am not some inexperienced wannabe tech. I was hoping my details in my post would be enough to bypass the generic and fruitless responses. It might be possible that the drive hardware ID's could be causing the mis-detection of the drive. Or that someone could note that some nuance of the hardware controllers on the motherboards I listed would cause the drive to not be detected or something. I am going to try and dig up some OLD MSDOS (not win98) boot files and try that later today.

Again.. I appreciate your attempt to help but I have tried all the simple fixes and am sure that I am following the procedure correctly. I am hoping some more technical insight might be posted by someone that could point me in the right direction.

-Fal

Well, I was trying to help you. Searching for a solution means that we have to take into consideration every aspect of the problem.

But fruitless responses?

I'm a computer technician doing that job for so many year just about your age.

You can wait for some more technical insight to help, sorry I'm out of this thread.

Well, I was trying to help you. Searching for a solution means that we have to take into consideration every aspect of the problem.

But fruitless responses?

I'm a computer technician doing that job for so many year just about your age.

You can wait for some more technical insight to help, sorry I'm out of this thread.

@xpatar

The point of my frustration with your responses is due to the fact that I spent over 8 hours last night trying numerous configurations and every method I could. I posted this all in a concise post explaining all that I have tried and it was very clear that I must have been getting it to boot properly if I was getting the DOSRD program to run. You posted two responses to me, both of which were targeting the USB boot process. This is not the part of the process that was faulty. I used your specific guide to a T, and it worked well to make the boot device. You efforts are appreciated but please appreciate mine efforts as well. Read my post, and respond if you have a new idea for me to try. Do not make a false assumption that I can not follow simple direction in making a boot device. Your responses both made it seem that I was not even booting, which was evident from my first post was not the case.

If you are offended, understand that I am as well. When my post can not be read and understood. It feels like I am calling a Tier 1 tech support for my ISP or something and being asked to do a chkdsk and defrag. I am beyond the simple troubleshooting steps and just want someone who can understand that.

-Fal

The fact that you're not able to update the firmware of your ssd, this doesn't mean that you have the right to offend any people that's trying to help you.

You're writing like some high tech guy who knows everything, tried everything, checked everything, but did nothing.

Sorry, but I'll not follow you.

I saw something interesting.

check my ID description:

IDE\DiskCORSAIR_CMFSSD-128GBG2D_________________VBM19C1Q

IDE\CORSAIR_CMFSSD-128GBG2D_________________VBM19C1Q

IDE\DiskCORSAIR_CMFSSD-128GBG2D_________________

CORSAIR_CMFSSD-128GBG2D_________________VBM19C1Q

GenDisk

Your are different and not stating corsair as mine. Maybe thats why.

It like yours in not having a name at all. It doenst even mention corsair

Did you ever do a Enhanced secure erase on this drive?

Wagnard that was exactly what I was hoping would happen, someone would find a problem with the details I posted. It did seem unusual that the Drive name was just a bunch of numbers. I am glad that you took the time to look at your drive ID and pointed out the differences. Hopefully someone from Corsair can help check this with me. I have not been screwed over by a newegg purchase before and would be dissapointed if it is the case of some fishy drive. I have not run any bench marks on it yet.. maybe I should try and see what that turns up. I have never run any wipe program on the drive. I wonder if someone did and returned it to newegg and they sold it to me. At least now you have given me a path to go searching down.

Thanks!!

-Fal

• Corsair Employee
No but the drive may have been an early production unit. However, we are working on this issue if you want to wait for a few weeks to see if there is another solution as long as you are not having a problem with the drive it might be a good ide to give it some time.

Exact same issue here. And yep I have one of the very first P128. Please do something for us ! I'm not keen on RMAing the SSD... because of the time it would take... and the inconvenience it'll create (harder for my PC to boot with no SSD in :p).

Thanks !

I bought this P256 yesterday for my wife, and since for her reliability is paramount, and since I do all the systems engineering round here, I thought the TRIM feature would be a good idea. This is part of the migration for her from WinXP64 to Win764.

The Samsung firmware updater runs, reports no supported SSD(s). The POST from the ASUS M2N32-SLI motherboard reports:

SATA 1 : CORSAIR CMFSSD-256GBG2D

The firmware on the P256 is VBM18C1Q according to the label on the back.

I suspect the firmware update tool may not recognize completely virgin disks, being a DOS utility.

So, I am about to try doing a FDISK and Format on it, then retry. Will post results.

Edit:

Nope. I did fdisk, made 4GB partition, formatted it. Disk got formatted OK, and fdisk drive verification worked fine, but still not detected.

I'll try another motherboard.

And it worked fine - successful mbd = ASUS M2N68-CM - no opportunity to tailor SATA ports, you just get what it gives you.

btw, in both attempts the SSD was the ONLY device attached to the system.

Archived