Corsair Community

DDR3 memory problem?

Ghot

I have 2 sticks of Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD16GX3M2A1866C9 running on an ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 motherboard with an AMD FX 8350 CPU.

I seem to remember that BOTH the BIOS and Dxdiag reported that I had 16384 MB of RAM.

A few days ago I noticed that the BIOS splash screen was reporting 16368 MB of RAM, yet Dxdiag still reports 16384 MB of RAM.

I'm not overclocked, and I do have BIOS setting profiles in saved in the BIOS, so I can just reload one in case of a BIOS glitch.

Anyone have any ideas?

• Corsair Employee
I have 2 sticks of Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD16GX3M2A1866C9 running on an ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 motherboard with an AMD FX 8350 CPU.

I seem to remember that BOTH the BIOS and Dxdiag reported that I had 16384 MB of RAM.

A few days ago I noticed that the BIOS splash screen was reporting 16368 MB of RAM, yet Dxdiag still reports 16384 MB of RAM.

I'm not overclocked, and I do have BIOS setting profiles in saved in the BIOS, so I can just reload one in case of a BIOS glitch.

Anyone have any ideas?

Doesn't really seem like an issue, just a very slight misreporting.

-Art

Thx Art. :)

If you get an idea of WHY it's happened/is happening, I would be like to know.

I over think everything, so ofc this will drive me crazy.

No rush, just if anything occurs to you, let me know. I'll check back here, every now and then.

• Corsair Employee
Thx Art. :)

If you get an idea of WHY it's happened/is happening, I would be like to know.

I over think everything, so ofc this will drive me crazy.

No rush, just if anything occurs to you, let me know. I'll check back here, every now and then.

Hey, not exactly sure but we spoke on the phone, feel free to call back again if you run into any issues.

-Art

Hey, not exactly sure but we spoke on the phone, feel free to call back again if you run into any issues.

-Art

My major concern is not that the RAM might be just getting old and tired.

My major concern is something like some hacker has pilfered 16MB of my RAM.

That's what I meant by "WHY".

• Corsair Employee
My major concern is not that the RAM might be just getting old and tired.

My major concern is something like some hacker has pilfered 16MB of my RAM.

That's what I meant by "WHY".

Oh, that's not really something we'd be able to verify, but it'd be extremely hard to change these values within the bios if someone was trying to "hack" you in any way related to it.

-Art

That's what I always assumed. I'm just getting fed up with a "Physical Memory Usage %" issue in Task Manager. It started about 2 months ago. After a bunch of testing, it seems that after running VLC media player to watch movies (stored on storage HDD) on the TV, the "Physical Memory Usage %" just keeps slowly rising until it hits around 40%. Then I have to reboot the computer to get it back down to 12%.

As long as I don't run VLC media player the "Physical Memory Usage %" in Task Manager, seems to behave normally.

Here's the kicker... I've been using VLC media player for years with no issues like this. I am assuming that the cause is one of the recent Windows Updates. I've already removed all the updates that deal with telemetry, and tried various combinations of Security Only Updates and the Monthly Rollup Updates.

I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic and all seems OK. But the problem still exists.

I've re-installed both VLC Media Player and my vid card drivers, and that didn't help either.

If I was the kind of person that pulled my hair when stressed, I would be bald by now. :)

Had not heard of that issue, give MPC a try.

-Art

Same issue with MPC. It doesn't happen quite as fast, but it happens just the same. I even decided to "let windows manage my page file", and even that hasn't helped.

I'm beginning to think this might be a RAM problem. I have another set of this same RAM which gave up the ghost a while back. I just RMA'd it. When I get that back I can then use it as a known good set for testing purposes.

If I put the known good set in, and still have the same issues, then it might be the motherboard?

I guess it could still be a Windows Update problem, but I would think I would have heard stories with similar issues by now.

• Corsair Employee
Same issue with MPC. It doesn't happen quite as fast, but it happens just the same. I even decided to "let windows manage my page file", and even that hasn't helped.

I'm beginning to think this might be a RAM problem. I have another set of this same RAM which gave up the ghost a while back. I just RMA'd it. When I get that back I can then use it as a known good set for testing purposes.

If I put the known good set in, and still have the same issues, then it might be the motherboard?

I guess it could still be a Windows Update problem, but I would think I would have heard stories with similar issues by now.

Putting in the new kit and still having the issues could be tons of other things I'd guess, I'd start with an OS fresh install.

Archived