Corsair Community

Brand new Corsair H115i PRO rattling pump noise

YOYO1626865679

Hey guys, so… I am in the process of sending out an RMA for my H110i GTX because it has been having cooling loop flow issues, but I decided to take a chance and buy the new H115i PRO this weekend. I just had a chance to hook it up this evening after work, I turn on the PC, and I hear a rattling sound.

At first, I thought that it’s one of the fans, but after investigating, I am 100% positive that it’s the pump. Also, the noise only occurs when the pump is running in quiet mode, but at balanced and performance it goes away. It’s literally like a clicking / rattling sound. At first the noise was intermittent, but now is constantly there (on quiet mode, pump RPM 1110).

I hear that it could be cavitation and it might go away after I run the cooler for a while? Has anyone else experienced similar issue with one of these new coolers?

I swear, I just get no rest with this stuff. I really want to give this company another chance, but like come on Corsair, throw me a bone here…

Edited by [YOYO]

Give it a day or two more running. I had the same thoughts when I first put in my H115i Pro and my prior 280mm kit was dead quiet. After 24 hours of running, I could no longer hear it from my seat and needed to stick my head in the case to find it.

To that end, put it on Balanced or Performance mode to speed the break in. Additionally, while the irony of quiet mode making the most noise is not lost on me, I don't necessarily recommend it for most use. At 1100 RPM you seem to give up several degrees in coolant temp with normal loads, let alone something high and sustained. I struggle to hear Balanced Mode's 2000 rpm at 45" ear to pump. I can hear the faint whine of the pump at 3000 rpm, but you don't need that unless under sustained long duration load and the fan speeds should cover it. No need at the desktop.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post, I very much appreciate it.

That's actually what I was possibly considering to try before I run out and return the cooler. The sound is definitely not what I would call 'normal' loud pump noise, it's a strange loud pump noise. I made a video of it for further reference.

[ame=

]
[/ame]

Eeewww...... That is not the noise I had in my head. Yeah, I don't like that at all. So that is lowest speed only? Educated guess is the motor is clipping at that setting. It really shouldn't do that with a constant SATA supply.

Start a support ticket with Corsair. Simultaneously, see what the return option is with the vendor. It is likely the vendor is the faster and less hassle option, but some have odd or punitive return policies.

*EDIT - It really shouldn't make that noise at the low speed only unless it is a specific type of motor control issue. It would be practical to follow the original suggestion of running it on high for 24 hours and perhaps also doing a little bit of case tipping back and forth. It does not sound like an air bubble to me, but the odds are greater for that root cause than the one I am imagining.

Edited by c-attack

Eeewww...... That is not the noise I had in my head. Yeah, I don't like that at all. So that is lowest speed only? Educated guess is the motor is clipping at that setting. It really shouldn't do that with a constant SATA supply.

Start a support ticket with Corsair. Simultaneously, see what the return option is with the vendor. It is likely the vendor is the faster and less hassle option, but some have odd or punitive return policies.

*EDIT - It really shouldn't make that noise at the low speed only unless it is a specific type of motor control issue. It would be practical to follow the original suggestion of running it on high for 24 hours and perhaps also doing a little bit of case tipping back and forth. It does not sound like an air bubble to me, but the odds are greater for that root cause than the one I am imagining.

It really does sound like one of those clickety clackers that kids would put in between their bicycle wheel spokes. Yes, it only happens on the quiet setting, I have not been able to replicate it at any of the other pump speeds.

I bought the cooler at a physical location, and the receipt says that they have a 30 day warranty on manufacturing defects, so I'm hoping that they will honor an exchange. I will be working on my machine all day today and I'll run the pump on the high setting. I'll see how it goes and report back.

Thanks again for your feedback.

• Corsair Employee
That sound is totally unacceptable, especially in quiet mode. Have it swap out from the store where you bought it, if you run into any issues exchanging it, we'll get it replaced for you via RMA.

That sound is totally unacceptable, especially in quiet mode. Have it swap out from the store where you bought it, if you run into any issues exchanging it, we'll get it replaced for you via RMA.

Thank you for replying to my post. I will go take the cooler back for an exchange tonight. I love how silent it can be, and the cooling itself is awesome, that racket though, that's a whole other thing altogether. If I have trouble with the store then I will contact you guys directly. Thank you again.

I would save quiet mode for light desktop work in very quiet environments. In that scenario, who cares about +2-4C on the CPU when it is in the 30's? For any type of load, use Balanced or Performance for optimal results. If you can't hear Balanced when at the desktop, there is no reason to switch out at all.

• 1 year later...

I have just installed this product new out of the box and have exactly the same issue.

Update: Noise disappeared after a couple of restarts. Awful noise though sounded like a cable tie was in one of the fans, but was the pump..

Edited by Alperian

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I found this older topic today, cause of I have similar issue.

I bought Corsair H115i RGB Platinum this summer, last week in august I build all together. From instalation till today (2 weeks of running) I have still same sound issue with this cooler. When running at idle, there is noise from pump, clicking, ratling. When I start any game, the other weird sound appeared. For example, when I started online game Elder scrolls online, the sound is not continual, sometimes it stops, for example during loading, sometimes randomly stops. When I started other openworld game, the noise has been changed in order when I look around in game, with every move of mouse, sound is changing.

I am very depresed by that noise. I have standard ATX MB with radiator mounted in front panel with pipes down. Radiator has about 2 cm above pump and when I mounted it, I started power supplied pump with free radiator above to get all air to radiator.

If I will find out how to send here sound record, I will send it this evening.

The Platinum uses a different pump than the “Pro series” in this thread. Other Platinum users have reported strange noises on the Quiet setting (about 2000 rpm on this model). Try setting the pump to Balanced (~2400) and see if the noises go away.

Yeah sorry, this info missing in my post - I tryied all settings of speed, at "quiet" it is very bad noise, but at balance or extreme it is what I described.

Edited by Rybola

Unusually erratic at Quiet compared to Balanced/Extreme is what some other Platinum/XT users describe. The pump will of course be louder at the higher speed, but the noise is smooth. I suspect for most this is a flow issue with air pockets getting stuck in the wrong place. Try tilting the case so the hoses are higher than the pump head. That may be almost close to vertical depending on the case. This is a hit or miss process and you are blind to the what's underneath the cap. Some users are successful and others not.

If your noise is erratic across all three pump speeds, I would contact Corsair Support.

So, I recorded described noise with phone and this is my situation.

- in this video is the secondary noise, which appeared when I started game. I am 90 % sure, it is from video card and at the start of video is heard the pump noise.

http://leteckaposta.cz/411584315 - here is only sound file, where I changed settings. 0:00 - 1:10 is while game is running, 0:00-0:10 Balanced, 0:10-0:26 Quiet, 0:26-0:42 Extreme, 0:42-0:48 Balanced, 0:48-1:10 without CPU cooler connected to power supply, 1:10-end is without game (idle, only windows run) 1:10-1:30 Balanced, 1:30-1:45 Quiet, 1:45-1:59 Extreme

I sent message to the shop where I bought all components to get some help from them, or reclamation. But about the pump noise, is this bad, or normal? Need to know, if shop will denine my complain.

Edited by Rybola

The secondary noise is definitely the GPU. Unfortunately, that's fairly typical. I can hear the pump before the GPU loads it's power up and I don't hear anything unusual. The pump is electro-mechanical and it will always be detectable if stick your head in the case. What's more problematic is if it is clearly heard over your fans at idle with the PC closed up.

I am having trouble accessing the sound files in the 2nd listing, but perhaps I am not following the directions properly.