Corsair Community

RM650x power switch noise 'fzzzt'

PliSsK

My RM650x has been making occasional 'ffzzztt' type noises when operating the power switch on the back of the PSU since new (December). This 'ffzzzt' used to be quite loud and crackly, last longer and occur half the time I operated the switch but it is more muted now and less frequent, tending to mainly happen when switching it off. It is more likely to make the noise if I flip the switch more slowly to the off position right now. Does all this sound normal? Is this type of thing to be expected? On one sole occasion, when switching on the PSU, a 5cm spark shot out of the air vents on the back of the PSU. However, switching it on and off a few times thereafter it appeared to function completely normally with no 'fzzt' sounds. Is this a definite RMA situation in your opinion? I reinstalled the computer into 3 different cases since December (for other reasons) and it has not cured the problem. I have checked for short circuits but could not see any. TIA.

The “fzzzzt” sound could be due to coil whine but there shouldn’t be spark. Have you experience any other anomaly with your system? I would say just to be safe, you should replace it.

Yeah it could be coil whine I guess but it sounds more like the same sound when you flip a light switch on really slowly, and it only occurs momentarily sometimes literally when flipping the power switch. Otherwise the PSU is entirely silent and I don't hear any coil whine from it. I've only ever had the spark once, I generally turn the machine on and off at the mains not at the back of the PSU. Otherwise the PSU and computer are functioning perfectly normally.

PSU has now indeed died after switching it off one time, ironically a few hours after paying for an Express RMA. So yes, the symptoms were indicative of impending death. Really I should have returned it to the retailer for a replacement as soon as I heard the noises in the first 2 weeks and thus avoided the whole Corsair RMA process. Thanks for all the input.

Archived