Corsair Community

Random "new" fans, random fan speeds, random all over

anastrophe

H110i.

Corsair Link 4.9.6.19

Firmware: 2.0.0

I've set up the fans with custom curves, and set the pump to 'quiet'. Temperatures are stable. This is what the correct display is, typically:

NYX5TAE.png

After CL running for a while, I'll open up the app. There are "new" fans listed in the lefthand column of the Configure tab. They are typically duplicates of the existing fans.

At other times, I'll hear a fan spin up in speed, I'll open CL, temperatures are stable, the fan is running at a higher speed than it should be at that time, I'll click the fan and click 'apply', and it settles back to where it should be.

The displayed fans within the 'case' graphic will sometimes switch around to nonsensical values. Most critical for example being the pump speed, which is normally around 2300rpm. Then for no reason it'll list 600rpm, like the actual fan speeds. I'll open that up, it shows that it's on 'quiet', but the graphed range is what you'd expect for a speed of 600rpm. I'll hit 'performance', hit apply, and one of the fans will speed up strong, i hit 'quiet', apply, fan goes back down to where it should be - but the pump speed display still stays wrong (i do not believe that the pump is actually running at the fan speed).

This is frustrating. To "clear" the issue i'll exit CL and start it back up again, and poof everything settles back to normal.

Here's an example of the display after its gone all wackywonky:

zl1wQGC.png

Is there any fix for this?

Sigh. Even though I haven't confirmed it yet, I'm reasonably sure it isn't Core Temp. Why? Because I dug down into my running processes, and found Asus Fan Control running as a service. Which it shouldn't have been, since I uninstalled the ridiculous Asus AISuite months ago. But it left that and other services in place, in the background, just happily running. What a crock!

I've forcefully uninstalled every trace of the Asus processes, ensuring I disabled the services, rebooted, then deleted all of the junk.

I'm pretty confident that answers that.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Asus makes great hardware. Software, not so much.

If you mean specifically on the configuration panel, this has been a common complaint. I don't know why, but Link will periodically "re-assess" what it thinks is connected and what was labeled as motherboard fan 2 becomes motherboard fan 6, etc. This should not be happening every boot/wake. That would be really irritating. Mine were pretty spread out and I found I did not use the config panel all that often to really care.

You might give iCUE a try at some point. A lot of that, the extra motherboard values, etc. have all been cleaned up. Still a work in progress, but if this is bugging you it may be a good time to give it a whirl.

I've installed iCUE (and uninstalled CL). I'll let it run a day or so to see if anything weird crops up. I'm not crazy about the interface, but neither am I horrified by it :)

I'm not clear what in particular Paul S is referencing his comments to.

Archived