Corsair Community

Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2H

Billbo1970

I'm looking to upgrade my RAM. I currently have in 2x4GB of C9 DDR3 1333 (PC3 10660) RAM in a Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2H motherboard. It has an Intel i3 CPU and is running Windows 7 64Bit.

Will CMX16GX3M2A1333C9 (2x8GB of C9 DDR3 1333) work in this motherboard? The configurator shows odd options that won't fit my mobo (such as 4x4GB when I only have 2 slots), and it shows CML16GX3M2A1600C10 as a viable option, but that is a C10 DC kit instead of a C9... if I get larger sticks do they have to run slower to work in this board?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

My gosh, I received a message from corsair tech support this morning saying it will work fine! I'm more inclined to belive YOU GUYS... What is going on at Corsair that their reps don't know this?

Responding to Message Regarding Case #5315991

Message To » Corsair Technical Support Team

Sent: 11/27/2012 6:41:23 AM

Bill

My gosh, I received a message from corsair tech support this morning saying it will work fine! I'm more inclined to belive YOU GUYS... What is going on at Corsair that their reps don't know this?

Bill

Wait a minute i had to turn around a re-look at that. The H55 chipset MB WILL allow the use of 8gig modules

I really apologize about that!:o: Corsair Tech support is CORRECT. I'm not sure how that got so fudged up? The configurator shows 4x4 kits because there are variations of that MB that do have 4 memory slots. So that is why those are listed. It's not so much the MB as it is the chipset.

From the product page of your MB

2 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 16 GB of system memory (Note 1)

Dual channel memory architecture

Support for DDR3 2200+/1800/1600/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules

The only way to achieve 16 gigs total would be 2 8 gig modules. So either of those kits you were lookking at will infact be compatible with your MB.

Wait a minute i had to turn around a re-look at that. The H55 chipset MB WILL allow the use of 8gig modules

I really apologize about that!:o: Corsair Tech support is CORRECT. I'm not sure how that got so fudged up? The configurator shows 4x4 kits because there are variations of that MB that do have 4 memory slots. So that is why those are listed. It's not so much the MB as it is the chipset.

From the product page of your MB

The only way to achieve 16 gigs total would be 2 8 gig modules. So either of those kits you were lookking at will infact be compatible with your MB.

Great thanks! I just wonder why corsair only lists the C10 modules & not the C9? I thought maybe with that density it needs slightly slower chips?

Bill

• Corsair Employee

I tend to disagree I have done a lot of research on these chipsets a few years ago when 8.0 Gig modules first came out and found the Intel chipset white papers stated only 256M X 8 Memory IC's are supported I will speak with the TECH who replied it is likely he just missed it was a 16 Gig 2 X 8. Gig.

In addition, according to the Gigabyte QVL List for this MB they have no modules from anyone larger that 4.0 Gig on that list.

Because of the Layout on this MB IE it only has 2 slots rather than 4 slots allowed you are limited to 8.0 Gig Max on this MB.

The Chipset does indeed support 16 Gig of memory but it would have to be made with stacked 256 X 8 Memory IC's to make two 8 Gig modules and no one is doing that because of the cost.

Now I'm really confused,as I am sure Bill is

The product page for this MB clearly shows that the max amount of memory for this MB is 16 gigs.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3310#sp

Being a socket 1156 board it should have no problem running 8 gig modules.

Don't get me wrong , I'm not trying to be argumentative, but something doesn't add up here.

Even the Corsair memory configurator only offers an 2x4gig kit as the highest capacity kit available for this board.:confused:

Bill, In this case it may be best to contact Gigabyte and ask them if this board will run 8 gig modules. Being a sandybridge board i would tend to believe it would. However the Corsair guys have always been right on... But in this case you have recieved two totally different answers.Sorry for the confusion.

Yes... I am genuinely confused now. Gigabyte is contradictory, like you said...

The specs from the Gigabyte website for this motherboard state "2 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 16 GB of system memory".

I'm currently running 2x4MB sticks, which is not listed anywhere as having been tested compatible on their sheet.

and Corsair is contradictory as well. When you run the memory finder, it only shows 2x4GB kits as you've said... I can't recall where I was looking, but that C10 2x8GB kit came up as compatible... and then the tech at corsair said the C9 kit is 16GB kit is also compatible...

I sent an email to Gigabyte but have yet to hear back from them.

Sent : 11/27/2012 01:42

Question : Specs say it can handle 16GB RAM, but it only has two slots & no memory stick higer than 4GB has been tested... can it run 2x8GB RAM?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Model : GA-H55M-S2H(rev. 1.0)

--------------------------

Bill

• Administrators

Because of the Layout on this MB IE it only has 2 slots rather than 4 slots allowed you are limited to 8.0 Gig Max on this MB.

The Chipset does indeed support 16 Gig of memory but it would have to be made with stacked 256 X 8 Memory IC's to make two 8 Gig modules and no one is doing that because of the cost.

So everyone's right. Yes, it will take 8 GB sticks, but apparently no one makes sticks dense enough for this chipset.

So in otherwords, yes, I was wrong when responding to your ticket, my apologies!

Ram Guy has instructed me to give myself 100 lashes! Thankfully he's not around ATM, so what he doesn't know won't hurt me ... :)

So what would happen... would it only see 1/2 the RAM or would it not work at all?

STILL no response from Gigabyte, don't think I'll be buying their products again unless it's a super good sale!

What are 256M X 8 Memory IC's, where do you find that density information when looking at sticks of RAM?

Bill

• Administrators
What are 256M X 8 Memory IC's, where do you find that density information when looking at sticks of RAM?
DDR3 IC Inquiry

Version numbers show up as either:

X.Y / X.1Z / X.2Z

X.Y = 64Mx8 OR 128Mx8 (check the link for details)

X.1Y = 256Mx8

X.2Y = 512Mx8

You'll never see version numbers listed in a store because the version number can't be guaranteed, isn't part of the official spec of memory, and for 99.999% of people, it just doesn't matter. Overclockers sometimes want a particular IC, but that's about the only demographic who look at ICs.

Keep in mind though that Ram Guy said "stacked 256 X 8 Memory ICs". If you have to stack them, it's easier and more cost effective to just use 512Mx8 ICs.

Keep in mind though that Ram Guy said "stacked 256 X 8 Memory ICs". If you have to stack them, it's easier and more cost effective to just use 512Mx8 ICs.

Thanks for the info. Forgive my ignorance, but if we're talking about an 8GB stick that has 256x8, wouldn't it HAVE to be stacked in that instance? Otherwise it would only be a 4GB stick, correct?

Bill

And, according to the white sheet the H55 cannot read 512x8 IC's? So does that mean it won't see the RAM at all or would only see 1/2 of it? Without getting too technical, why can't the chipset see the total RAM available, why does it have to read it off of the actual IC's? Wouldn't it make life a lot simpler if there was a chip (like the SPD) that just tells the MB Chipset how much RAM there is & handles the mapping for it?

And, according to the white sheet the H55 cannot read 512x8 IC's? So does that mean it won't see the RAM at all or would only see 1/2 of it?

I don't think it's a matter of seeing it. In my experiences with unsupported memory, it would just fail to post in the first place.

Just out of my own curiosity , have you heard back from Gigabyte yet? I'm curious as to what their point of view is. And if not would you please post back here when you do?

• Corsair Employee

Bill I am sorry for the confusion and I will give a few extra lashes to the person who gave you the wrong info. But in all fairness to both our Tech and to Gigabyte. This is a painfully easy mistake to make. For both us and the MB manufacturers and someone who does not know. IE many people just see 16 Gig is the Max okay then I can use 2 X 8 Gig modules top get 16 Gig Right?

My MB only has two slots so that must be what they meant right?

However, that is an incorrect assumption, you have to dig deeper into the Chipset specifications and how the memory modules you are asking about are Built. IE 256M X 8 or 512M X 8.

I also emaild G.Skilllll with the same question, they replied the same as your tech department... with what I now believe to be incorrect information... So don't feel bad Technobeard, you are in good company! :D

And thanks to you guys I was able to know this is incorrect & formulate an intelligent reply:

Hello,

You stated “your motherboard supports up to 16GB of RAM with a configuration of 8GBx2. This means it will be able to support a density of 512x16 (double sided)”

This is not true. The Intel H55 chipset cannot read 512x16 IC’s... To achieve 8GB on a stick it must have a density of 256x8 STACKED. Do you have any 8GB sticks using this configuration?

Bill

--------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2012 1:59 AM

To: REMOVED

Subject: RE: F3-1333C9D-16GAO Pre-Sales Question

Dear Bill,

According to the motherboard manufacturer’s website, your motherboard supports up to 16GB of RAM with a configuration of 8GBx2. This means it will be able to support a density of 512x16 (double sided). http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3310#sp

Our F3-1333C9D-16GAO memory kit is compatible with your motherboard.

If you have any further questions or problems, feel free to contact us again. Thank you for choosing G.Skilllll!

Best Regards

Tech Support Team, F.A.E.

G.Skilllll International Enterprise Co., Ltd.

This is the strangest thing I have ever seen in my life.... the message board keeps adding L's to G.Skillllll.... I'm only typing 2 L's & it's doing it when I pasted the email too. I've tried to edit & remove the extras multiple times... then I thought... Hmmmm... Is corsair doing this on purpose because I'm referencing a competitor? LOL :D

I FINALLY received a response from Gigabyte... I don't know what to make of it:

Dear customer,

Yes, board supports up to 16G memory, 2x8G will works. Due to massive memory types and brands we are not able to verify all of them, but we do have our board validated by some major brand memory manufactures, please refer to it. Compatible memory update list could be obtain by log on most major brand name memory manufactures' website, such as Kingston.com , corsair.com , ocz.com , crucial.com , gskill.com, patriot.com, Musshkin.com . Using their Find compatible products / Memory Configurator / Memory finder, select Gigabyte manufacture, mother board model, validated memory list will show.

Best regards,

Gigabyte technical support team.

Is it possible they've modified the board somehow & it can read higher density sticks, or is this stricly an Intel chipset deal?

I responded with this:

I've been told by the people at Corsair Memory that the Intel H55 chipset cannot read 512x16 IC’s... To achieve 8GB on a stick it must have a density of 256x8 STACKED. Is this true? If this is true then nobody makes a 2x8GB kit that will work in this board.

Bill

WOW.... Just wow... look at this response I just received from Gigabyte:

Dear customer,

It could be true, check on memory manufacture's website if any 8G type memory was validated on H55M-S2H board and refer to it ( Kingston.com , corsair.com , ocz.com , crucial.com , gskill.com, patriot.com, Musshkin.com ).

Best regards,

Gigabyte technical support team.

I am DONE purchasing anything from that company!

Bill

• Administrators
This is the strangest thing I have ever seen in my life.... the message board keeps adding L's to G.Skillllll.... I'm only typing 2 L's & it's doing it when I pasted the email too. I've tried to edit & remove the extras multiple times... then I thought... Hmmmm... Is corsair doing this on purpose because I'm referencing a competitor? LOL :D
The filter was turned off a couple of weeks ago actually (as long as everyone plays nice). I figured out what happened in regards to the extra l's, it's been fixed.

I'd try perhaps calling Gigabyte and if they give you the standard answer, I'd ask for a supervisor.

Archived