Corsair Community

Special Edition Torque vs Platinum Series

Beldin

Hi

I am starting to build a new PC with Coffee lake about to come out.

I have built a few PC's over the year but have always been confused on what is the best memory.

My PC is mainly for extreme gaming and I am lucky to be in a position where the price isnt a huge factor and I just want target the top end gear.

I see there is a Special Torque edition memory around at the moment and I cant see why it is cheaper than the equivalent platinum memory when it sounds like its meant to be better.

Although I will be using 64gb in total for my memory it is currently sold in 2x 16gb sticks so I assume i will need 2. Yes i know I can get a 4x16gb for the standard stick but for the sake of comparing lets just assume I will buy 2 units of each.

The standard memory is this

Dominator® Platinum Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Memory Kit (CMD32GX4M2C3200C16)

This is selling for £405

The special edition is this

DOMINATOR® PLATINUM Special Edition Torque 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C14 Memory Kit (CMD32GX4M2C3200C14T)

This is selling for £360

So the question is which one is better for gaming? I would of expected the special edition to be better and more expensive or am I missing something here..... I can see the timings are better on the special edition but then why is it cheaper?

Can anyone explain this to me and why one is better for gaming????

The Torque kit has lower timings and thus is theoretically capable of better benchmarks. I don't think there would be a measurable difference in real world performance for gaming between C16 vs C14, but slightly faster and cheaper sounds like a win. As for the unexpected price discrepancy, my guess is it's down to demand. The Torque kit has a unique color scheme and is not exactly an easy one to match into a system. I believe the price was higher initially, but has fallen since release. Regardless of performance, there is still a strong aesthetic element in system building for many people. If the Torque kit was chrome or all black like the previous special Dominator offering, I imagine it would have sold out at list price in a week. If you like the color, by all means get it. I don't think quality has any bearing on the current price.

• Corsair Employee

Below may help you make your decision.

1. it is limited edition, normally it should cost more than regular kit.

2. despite Torque is advertised as a 3200MHz kit, it is not 3200MHz! we use chips from much higher bin to build this Torque for better overclockability.

3. if you care about LED lighting, Torque has two openings top bar for better lighting.

Hope this helps.

Archived