Corsair Community

Can't adjust the fan speed

WebMaximus

I just built a new system from scratch and I probably missed something because I'm all new to both RGB stuff as well as Commander Pro.

LL 120 fans connected to Commander Pro, visible in iCUE and all lit up but I can't figure out how to affect their RPM. Same thing seems to be the case with the fans on my H115i. No matter what mode I select, all fans seem to spin at a constant speed (around 700-750 RPM for the fans on the 115i and around 1300 RPM for the LL 120 fans)

Can also mention that before installing iCUE, all the fans were very silent and I could barely hear them. Still I got great temps. So I really do hope there's a way to adjust the speed of the fans down again and only allow them to spin up when actually required due to high temps. I guess using the water temp in the H115i would be the best option to avoid constant ups and downs looking at the fan speed?

One thing I guess I could try is to simply uninstall iCUE and see if the fans will go back to normal (low) speed again.

My setup is as follows:

- Obsidian 500D RGB SE

- HX1000i

- H115i RGB Platinum

- 4x8 GB Venegance RGB 3200 MHz CL16 DDR4

- 3xLL120 in front (included with the case and connected as fan 1-3 to CCP)

- 2xLL140 mounted on the H115i (replaced the ML fans and connected to the pump)

- 1xLL120 in the back of the case (bought separately and connected as fan 4 to CCP)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Will give it a try but read somewhere else in here in another thread how someone was recommended to connect the fans on the radiator to the pump rather than the CCP.

Also as mentioned in my previous post, I have the same problem for the fans already connected to the CCP so I doubt it will help.

Surely this must be some software issue. Either with the iCUE application or with the firmware for some of the components where picking different performance modes for the fans has no effect.

Hoping someone from Corsair can comment on this.

Choose the device (H115i) then select the "Mode" (silent, quiet, etc.) under "Performance", you need to click the fans you wish to apply the mode against (it will highlight in yellow). Leave the H115i fans where you have them connected as they will be based off coolant temperatures.

Next, choose the CoPro and do the same, You should have three default modes - silent, balanced & extreme under the performance settings which will be based on CPU package temperature. Remember to click the mode and then the fans you wish to apply that mode against.

Will give it a try but read somewhere else in here in another thread how someone was recommended to connect the fans on the radiator to the pump rather than the CCP.

Also as mentioned in my previous post, I have the same problem for the fans already connected to the CCP so I doubt it will help.

Surely this must be some software issue. Either with the iCUE application or with the firmware for some of the components where picking different performance modes for the fans has no effect.

Hoping someone from Corsair can comment on this.

I had the same problem, if *any* fans were connected to my H150i fan headers I had no control of any fans in the system. I don't know why, and didn't get any help here, but that was my only fix.

Choose the device (H115i) then select the "Mode" (silent, quiet, etc.) under "Performance", you need to click the fans you wish to apply the mode against (it will highlight in yellow). Leave the H115i fans where you have them connected as they will be based off coolant temperatures.

Next, choose the CoPro and do the same, You should have three default modes - silent, balanced & extreme under the performance settings which will be based on CPU package temperature. Remember to click the mode and then the fans you wish to apply that mode against.

Thanks but what you describe is exactly what I did. I also confirmed the newly chosen mode was indicated for each fan I clicked after having chosen the fan mode I wanted.

Still the RPM wouldn't change for any of the fans. I thought maybe there's an apply button I need to click somewhere but didn't see one. I also noticed how the fans constantly revved slightly up and down.

One more thing. The H115i kept being enabled/disabled looking in USBDevView accompanied by the well-known sound from Windows when an USB device is connected/disconnected.

I'm just about finished after having redone the cabling to tidy things up a bit. I kept the cooler fans connected to the pump for the reason you state and since I learned that is the recommendation.

Will keep my fingers crossed things will work better this time and will report back.

There's quite a bit of dialogue regarding the Platinum series coolers and the USB connect/disconnect cycle. Some people squelched this by setting the pump to a static color. If the cooler can stop connecting/disconnecting for a nanosecond, perhaps the fans will come into line.

The Commander Pro control should not be affected, but might if iCUE is preoccupied with a device dropping in and out. What is your control variable for the Commander Pro controlled fans?

You might also do a general Windows->Applications->iCUE repair installation. I don't know that is will provide any miracles, but it only takes a moment and there appears to be multiple or overlapping issues.

OK, good news!

Just started my PC up after the tidy up of all cables and the H115i connect/disconnect issue seems to be gone. I'm also able to affect the fan speed this time and notice a clear difference going from quiet mode to extreme for instance. What I noticed is how it can take some time before the changed mode actually effects the fans. Maybe I didn't wait long enough yesterday.

Still though I find it slightly annoying how the LL120 fans (3 in the front and one in the back) controlled by the Commander Pro never seem to spin below 1200-1300 RPM even when they are set to quiet. And what makes it even worse is how the constantly are going slightly up/down in RPM (between like 1250-1350 RPM) and this change in RPM is very audible.

Sorry for my ignorance but where do I find the control variable for the Commander Pro controlled fans? Need to learn more about this iCUE software. Haven't had enough time yet to play around with it.

One of the first things I need to figure out (and guess that might be just what you asked about the control variable) how I can decide myself how the fans should spin. Will also try to find some info what exactly these quiet, balanced and extreme modes actually mean in term of RPM.

Really need to get some sleep now but at least a couple of steps in the right direction :)

Ok, fingers crossed on the Platinum. Coolant is slow to change up or down and the curves for the three presets are likely very much the same in the 20-27C range. We can get into how to set a custom curve for cooler later, but first you need to make one for the Commander Pro.

Get off the three presets for the case fans. Those a tied to cpu temp and it’s a waste of a very capable fan controller. Your motherboard can do that for you. Click the + on the left side to create a new “cooling mode” fan profile. The bottom of the app will now change with a graph and a control variable at the top. Pick something appropriate. For most people GPU temp is quick, effective, and relevant. Long term you can use the temp probes for the C-Pro to make more precise or targeted responses. You will also notice the controls for fixed speed just became available. Knock your LL fans down to 600 fixed to make sure there isn’t an actual control problem.

I thought long ago 'Now I really need to get some sleep' and yet here I am :-)

Tried what you suggested and finally the fans are doing what I want them to thanks to you! So nice finally having them spin without constantly going up/down caused by sudden CPU spikes.

Oh yeah, the H115i Platinum connect/disconnect issue came back briefly but after switching to a solid color as you suggested, that fixed the issue. I then tried going back to a bit more fun effect and still OK. I suppose Corsair is well aware of this issue already and hopefully will be able to sort it with a firmware update? Will do some more tuning tomorrow figuring out how I want my fan curves.

One thing I wanted to mention though for anyone else with the same questions I've had who reads this.

When I created my own 'cooling mode' the Commander Pro and the fans connected to it turned completely crazy at first. Two of the fans randomly disappeared from the GUI and then came back while the other two showed crazy high RPMs. Then all of a sudden all my fans very gone from the GUI and checking my fans in the front physically, only the lower one was spinning while the topmost two fans didn't move at all. I then rebooted my computer and after that all was fine.

Again, thank you so much for your help. Very much appreciated!!

Hmm...something still seems a bit fishy because now after another reboot I have the same issue described in my last post where all of a sudden no fans are visible in iCUE when I select my Commander Pro. Looking at the voltage readouts, they all read 0.00v.

The fans connected to my Commander Pro currently seem to run at like 1200-1300 RPM but can't say for sure since I don't see them in iCUE.

Will try yet another reboot and see what happens.

Edited to add I found the culprit...HWINFO. The moment I start HWINFO, I loose all my fans connected to Commander Pro and the fans spin up.

Maybe because I'm using an old version. Will try to see if I can find a newer version tomorrow.

Archived