Corsair Community

Corsair K55 freezing and crashing when loading games

masubi

CUE 2.24.50.0. So in attempts to keep a very long story short, I recently purchased the K55 RGB for my best friend in celebration of her building her first PC and the computer booted with the keyboard without any issues. However, when she tries to run games such as Maple (via Steam) the game will freeze and crash when she loads her character. She tells me she's forced to alt+tab, but it takes 10 minutes just to do so.

The only work around that she has figured out is to reach back and unplug her keyboard until her character is fully loaded in then plug it back in. She shared that she also does for the other games too. I've seen similar threads about this, but they all mention that a game controller had been connected, in this case she doesn't own a game controller. I'm out of ideas how to fix this, I've tried helping her by updating drivers on everything but the problem persists.

• Corsair Employee

Hello Masubi!

That's interesting. Let's try a soft reset by using the following steps:

Unplug keyboard

hold escape for 10 seconds

plug in keyboard while still holding escape

hole escape for 10 seconds and let go

If that doesn't work, I'd suggest checking USB settings of the motherboard and contacting our support team at support.corsair.com.

I, too, have issues with my K55 freezing, crashing or interfering with programs and games. Corsair refuses to acknowledge it's a firmware issue. Instead they point the finger at Valve (Steam), even though I have the same issues when using Battle.net, certain standalone games, or even programs (Nox, for example)

There was a thread on the issue: CUE Causing Steam Crash but it has since been closed.

For me it isn't even CUE related, the K55 keyboard causes these issues whether CUE is running or not; it makes no difference. Hence why I'm convinced it's a core firmware issue.

One thing to note from the above mentioned thread is, and this was pointed out by user Metriad,

that Device Manager [] had 6 extra "HID compliant consumer control devices" and 3 extra "USB input devices" all with a Corsair driver number
I have this too, and if you check the driver dates, it's 2006. How about an update Corsair?

I'm sorry to say your efforts of communicating the K55 issues with Corsair will be in vain. They either don't care or are incompetent, most likely a combination of both. I've had these issues for nearly a year now. I tried just about everything. My advice is to hold the F1+(lock button at the top right hand corner) and put the keyboard in BIOS/whatever mode, tape something over the blinking light and forget about the lightning and macro keys. It won't be fancy, and it isn't what you paid for, but the keyboard will work without any issues.

My other advice would be, if you still can, return the K55 and get a Logitech or Razer product, turn your back on anything Corsair and never look back.

The only workaround (until Corsair updates their drivers/firmware/software) is to uninstall the CUE software AND disable all the Corsair "HID" devices in device manager - if you try to uninstall them, Windows will just re-install them. I tried everything reasonable, including buying a separate powered hub, and the ONLY thing that worked was removing their software and disabling their drivers - unfortunately this means you lose all custom functionality of the keyboard, and your lighting will be locked into the "Rainbow" pattern. It was that or not be able to use my keyboard and ANY USB game controller at the same time - I had to physically unplug the keyboard for my system to become responsive while a controller was also plugged in and any app/game was querying it. I have NEVER had this kind of experience with any other USB keyboard/peripheral I've used, and I've thoroughly explained the steps I took to Corsair. as others have said - Corsair doesn't give a ****, they'll just blame Valve/Microsoft etc. because they refuse to fix their product and don't care about their customers because they already have their money. I will certainly NOT be buying Corsair peripherals in the future.

• Corsair Employee

@masubi Hey! I'd love to see the error she gets in her Windows Event Viewer after the crash. Could you get that for me?

Because the software is crashing, this probably means that Windows is generating an error report. This is an often a great tool for tracing the cause of an issue.

Please perform the following steps:

1. Recreate the crash.

2. Go to the Event Viewer within Windows (Start > run > eventvwr.msc)

3. Navigate to Windows Logs > Application, and then find the latest event with “Error” in the Level column and “Application Error” in the Source column.

Please copy the text on the General Tab and send it to us so we can look into this issue.

Also, please remember that the K55 can set lighting and macros WITHOUT CUE. If it becomes terribly annoying, you can always run it without the software.

For me it isn't even CUE related, the K55 keyboard causes these issues whether CUE is running or not; it makes no difference. Hence why I'm convinced it's a core firmware issue.

I'm convinced it isn't CUE related as well. Originally I thought it may had been the software, so I uninstalled CUE but the problem persisted. It's worth noting that I tried the K66 on her computer and it didn't cause the same issue. I own the K95 RGB and never experience anything like this and my other friend owns the K70 and also doesn't have this issue. Like we've all been saying, the issue lies with the K55 itself not anything else.

• Corsair Employee

I believe you, but I want to know why. Like, in your computer, running the same game, does it still crash?

With an error report, I can actually see the error that's happening and what file exactly is causing a problem.

Here's an example, the crash only happens after picking a character right? Therefore, the system must be calling something that only loads when trying to load actual in-game assets. Perhaps controls? Perhaps controls which another device is accessing at the same time? I just want to take a closer look at the info I can get. If it's something we can work around, great. If not, I need to forward it over to our dev teams so they can check for why this is happening.

You can always make a ticket for it too. Our Tech Support team can talk to your friend directly to take a look at any logs. If it is the K55 itself, we can also look into replacing it.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I'll take a look into some of the fixes you all suggested when I see my best friend and I'll post updates, but worst case scenario - I'll have her contact support.

• 8 months later...

I am also having this issue and I am convinced that the keyboard itself is causing crashes...

I am playing FFXV for over 30 hours without crashes, then I got the K55 keyboard, plugged it in, constant crashes, at first I thought it was iCue but i uninstalled that and its still happening!

I am seriously thinking about returning the keyboard.. its ridiculous

I will disable all the HID devices and see if that still happens

Hi I'm a little late but having the same issue and wanted to rant a bit. So I purchased The corsair K55 and I didn't notice the freezing right away not to say they weren't occurring I just wasn't paying attention if they were, So about a week and a half to two weeks after I got the new keyboard I started to notice my Games would freeze at launch, if I connected any other device like a controller or headset it would freeze, even Alt-Tabbing at times would cause games to freeze, the freezes would happen at random and only momentarily for about a minute or so, Not knowing or thinking in the slightest that a simple keyboard would cause these issues I tried everything in the book, I MEAN EVERYTHING, I updated all my drivers, uninstalled allllll my drivers and re installed, I set my PC to go to sleep after so long, I went into the bios and manually set my ram speed, Ect ect until this weekend i thought screw it, I'm going to do a fresh install of windows 10, if that doesn't fix it then there may be a hardware issue. And wouldn't you know it, Still after a fresh install and spending the whole weekend downloading games, THE PROBLEM WAS STILL THERE. I gave up, I decided the heck with it I'm just going to have to deal with the freezes, this is my life now and then out of nowhere a thought popped into my head "Why don't you try and plug in a different keyboard and see what happens" so I did, after an hour of no issues no freezing no stalling no crashing, I plugged in the K55 and boom first game freezes, plug in this Keyboard I am currently using to type this long winded rant and nothing no issue this is the second day and haven't had one freeze yet. I'll be returning the K55 on monday and picking up a logitech.

Archived