Corsair Community

SSD and motherboard without AHCI?

Kalamath

Hi!

I have just bought an F120 and I cant get it to work. I have tried to install both XP and Vista on it, but after the "loading Windows"-screen I get a blue screen.

I called the computer store and they said that I had to set SATA mode to AHCI in BIOS, but my motherboard is too old, it has not that option.

Do you think I need to buy a new motherboard, or do you think there is a fault on my F120?

Thanks,

Kalamath

Does your motherboard have SATA ports? How did you plug the hard drive into the motherboard?

AHCI is the standard that defines SATA ports so I highly doubt that you are not able to set the mode to AHCI. When you set a BIOS to IDE or Compatible it is only IDE emulation, obviously it's not really IDE. Regardless these drives work with IDE mode too.

Can you fill out your system specs and especially tell us what motherboard you have?

Hi!

Thanks for the quick response!

Yes, my motherboard has SATA ports, I connected the F120 to one.

But there is no option for "SATA mode" in the BIOS.

I have an HP d4895 computer and on the HP homepage it says that its motherboard is called: A8M2N-LA

In BIOS it says model: d4895.se

I have some problem getting the system specs since my original C: drive somehow got corrupt when I tried to ghost it to the SSD, sorry.

Thanks,

Kalamath

Since you have an HP machine the BIOS configuration options are probably somewhat limited. Since you have an OEM machine is it possible to return the Force drive and get a Corsair Performance series SSD through a refund or exchange with the vendor that you purchased from?

You can also try this link and update your BIOS to the latest version.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00007682&cc=se&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3412705&tmp_track_link=ot_search

Are you from sweden? Your model seems to be swedish and I'm having a tough time finding the latest BIOS for it.

Hi!

I have just bought an F120 and I cant get it to work. I have tried to install both XP and Vista on it, but after the "loading Windows"-screen I get a blue screen.

I called the computer store and they said that I had to set SATA mode to AHCI in BIOS, but my motherboard is too old, it has not that option.

Do you think I need to buy a new motherboard, or do you think there is a fault on my F120?

Thanks,

Kalamath

Are you also manually loading the AHCI driver when prompted for drivers?

Hi!

Yes I am from Sweden! =)

I have looked now and the motherboard already have the latest BIOS.

The disk is newly bought and not part of the OEM machine, so there can be no exchange.

Now I have got a clean Windows Vista DVD to install from and tried it when I only have the SSD disk in the computer, it goes like this:

1. Booting from DVD

2. Loading windows files

3. Windows loading screen comes up (with the green bar going from left to right)

4. The screen freezez

5. Blue screen because of the nvstor.sys file

I am thinking about returning the disk and say it is faulty.

Do you guys think there is a fault on the disk?

If I return it and there is no fault, I get charged for making them test it.

Thanks,

Kalamath

No I don't think the disk is at fault, you need to do what Yellowbeard suggested. If you're using AHCI or SATA native you need to press F6 or whatever key you need to push during the Vista installation in order to load the Intel RST drivers before the install.

OR..

Since you're not using Windows 7 you could just run the disk controller as IDE or Compatible. You may be able to find this option in the BIOS. You need to DISABLE ACHI.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?lang=eng&changeLang=true&DwnldID=18861

Thanks for all the help!

Unfortunately I have no options in bios for my computer to enable or disable AHCI.

I have now given up getting the SSD to work with my motherboard and ordered a new motherboard+memory+cpu. It was almost time for that anyway.

You guys have been great, thanks for all the support!

Kalamath

The new motherboard, memory and CPU will not fix the problem. The problem is that OSes other than Windows 7 will have trouble installing newer drives that run in AHCI mode out of the box.

If you cannot disable AHCI, You NEED to install the Intel RST drivers which I have provided in the link above (or get the correct ones if your system is 32-bit) in order for AHCI to function properly and avoid the BSOD when installing a new copy of windows

Either that OR get Windows 7, as Vista is completely obsolete.

• 2 months later...

I start up this thread again since I'm in a similar situation.

Same hardware, i.e. an HP d4895 (same one as Kalamath above) but with Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

My problem is very strange because the BIOS finds the Corsair F60 - SOMETIMES. It seems to be very random. It looks to me that there is some malfunction in the communication between the BIOS discovery and the SSD disk, for example a timing issue. I suspect that the F60 require some time to boot-up which makes it invisible....but that is just a guess.

It is very disturbing since the computer boots correctly in only 30-50% of the cases.

Would the F60 SSD firmware upgrade to 2.0 resolve this issue? I've tried to run the upgrade without success, device was not found in the upgrade utility (I've already successfully upgraded another F60 on an Windows 7 x32 machine). Also tried to run the utility in various compatibility modes without any luck. Any hints how to upgrade?

Archived