Corsair Community

System build question in 800D

gutcheck

Hi Guys,

I am following this guide to get some tips for my new "system":

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=418317#post418317

I want to know if as I am building this system with the eventual intent of WC'ing the vid cards with a single loop system (I will someday have 2 GT300's in there) it would be a good idea to install the radiatior now so I don't have fuss with it later. So my stupid questions are as follows: Is it fine to have a 3x120 mm radiator there with 3 x 120 mm fans pushing air though it even though it is not attached to any WC setup? Will it damage the radiator? Are there any other WC components I should install early to ease the eventual installation? When I eventually do install the WC setup, am I going to have to pull the radiator out to run the loop outside the case to test it?

Sorry, I know very little about this WC stuff, but I have to learn someday.

Whenever you plan to watercool in the future, it is good idea to set some of the stuff up in advance but not necessary. Depending on what WC setup you are going to use, you may end up taking everything out of the case anyway. If you are doing case modding like Mr Armageddon, then yeah, I would take the time to make the cuts and have a plan for the equipment you plan to use ahead of time. I made a plan, then changed it, then changed it again etc so plan until you think you know exactly what you want to do, make the cuts for the future if you have any. I personally hate to take everything back out after I have the wiring all sleeved/dyed and routed so I am taking my time to WC first. I do not think you would hurt the Radiator by just running the fans if you don't have liquid inside sitting still, it will just hamper the airflow of the fans a little. Just my 2 cents.

Hi Guys,

I am following this guide to get some tips for my new "system":

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=418317#post418317

I want to know if as I am building this system with the eventual intent of WC'ing the vid cards with a single loop system (I will someday have 2 GT300's in there) it would be a good idea to install the radiatior now so I don't have fuss with it later. So my stupid questions are as follows: Is it fine to have a 3x120 mm radiator there with 3 x 120 mm fans pushing air though it even though it is not attached to any WC setup? Will it damage the radiator? Are there any other WC components I should install early to ease the eventual installation? When I eventually do install the WC setup, am I going to have to pull the radiator out to run the loop outside the case to test it?

Sorry, I know very little about this WC stuff, but I have to learn someday.

Gutcheck,

You're asking some of the same questions I'm asking (myself only right now), so I can't offer you any hard-won experience.:o: However, let me ask some additional questions that may clarify some issues:

1. What motherboard/CPU? Overclocking plans?

2. What video card now?

3. How are you "sizing" your cooling requirements, that is, how are you determining the number and type of fans you need now? And for WC in the future, same question. :laughing:

There are a number of people who are doing dual-loop WC, because a single loop will not have enough cooling capacity. I'm not suggesting that they are right and you mistaken to go with a single loop,:laughing: I'm only suggesting that it might be useful to you to review those threads. :!:

I'm kind of interested in doing WC myself, but at the same time I'm nervous about that approach, partly because of the cost :dunno: and partly because sizing a WC system seems almost like a black art. :headbang:

However, there is a wealth of information from the people who frequent this forum and also over on OCP.

HTH.

Archived