Corsair Community

Fan on HX1000?

cooksta

Hello.

I'm doing some renovation work on my PC and I'm trying to get it whisper quiet.

I want to install a few new silent fans, the key point being that I will control the RPM on the fans to adjust the dB level.

Would I be able to replace the PSU fan without plugging it into the PSU itself? I want to replace the fan and control it externally with a fan controller.

My understanding so far is that the PSU automatically controls voltage to the fan depending on temperature or other variables which speeds it up or slows it down.

However, I've tested both fans and found that even at a higher RPM my new fan is indeed much more quiet (and pushes out more air to boot). That being said, I still wish to be able to control the RPM of the fan and would therefore run it outside of the PSU to my controller instead of plugged in directly to the PSU.

Is this actually possible? Would the PSU even run without a fan?

Also, on another unrelated note, I want to trim and clean the cables on my PSU. I'm planning on resleeving my 24V cable in a different coloured sleeve.

So far I've been fairly safe working on my PSU, my knowledge in electrics is basic though.

There's a PCI-E cable that runs from the PSU that I no longer need. It's non-modular, it's actually routed into the PSU itself.

I thought about trimming it and insulating the ends, but it seems kind of messy as it'll still stick out of the PSU and is kind of dangerous.

Would it be possible to trim these cables directly at their terminals inside the PSU?

Disclaimer: I understand that all of this work obliterates my warranty, and that working with PSU's is inherently dangerous.

Would I be able to replace the PSU fan without plugging it into the PSU itself? I want to replace the fan and control it externally with a fan controller.

While it is possible, just keep in mind that it would void the warranty instantly. So will cutting any cables .

I really wouldn't advise any modifications if you only have a basic understanding of PSU's . There are lethal voltages stored in a PSU even when powered off and need to be discharged before attempting any work inside the case.

While it is possible, just keep in mind that it would void the warranty instantly. So will cutting any cables .

I really wouldn't advise any modifications if you only have a basic understanding of PSU's . There are lethal voltages stored in a PSU even when powered off and need to be discharged before attempting any work inside the case.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't really want to mess around with capacitors and the such, I understand the risk, I just thought there might be a way for the novice. Totally understand on the warranty, it's expired anyways so no huge deal.

So the PSU itself will run without a fan plugged in then?

Thanks for the reply.

I don't really want to mess around with capacitors and the such, I understand the risk, I just thought there might be a way for the novice. Totally understand on the warranty, it's expired anyways so no huge deal.

So the PSU itself will run without a fan plugged in then?

not for very long they generate a lot of heat and the thermal cutout will kick in,

if your not sure what your doing just leave the psu alone, opening one up to replace the fan can expose you to those lethal stored voltages if you slip or touch the wrong part....

• Corsair Employee
I would strongly suggest against this for obvious reasons, and not to mention the fan controller is tuned to the fan we use so just changing the fan may cause more problems. And or you may have to go through several fan before you find one that will work in the PSU.

Archived