Corsair Community

AX1600i Fan Speed Question

rjbarker

Did you want to know more about it? I mean, happy to talk about it I just figured the fast answer was the better one.

The PSU fan will spin on boot as a test. That's why most of your system fans will spin initially on boot. You see that on GPU's a lot too.

Yep thanks understand.....just never recalled my AX1200 or AX1200i spinning up full bore (loud) at Boot .....my other fans ( 15 Fans) dont spin up at boot as they are connected to a 200W (50W / Channel) Fan Controller (independent of the Mobo).....

In fact I have yet to see the Fan on my 1600i spin up....even running thru some benchmarks and minor stress testing....havent seen it spin up yet....its no even warm.....figured my rig at most likely around 900W with aeverything maxed out..... 2 * 1080Ti OC'd and 9900K OC'd......

• 3 weeks later...
I noticed that too. My other rig has an AX1500i, and it also does NOT spin up fully at startup. Is there any way (using Corsair Link or something like that) to program our AX1600i's to stop doing that at every startup? It's loud and annoying, especially if a loved one is sleeping close by. I spent several minutes trying to Create a Ticket to Corsair about this, over in the Support area, only to find that there is no way to enter the Part Number for our AX1600i's! Any attempt to do so either funnels you into AX1500i part numbers, or is rejected before submittal to the server.

• Corsair Employee
I noticed that too. My other rig has an AX1500i, and it also does NOT spin up fully at startup. Is there any way (using Corsair Link or something like that) to program our AX1600i's to stop doing that at every startup? It's loud and annoying, especially if a loved one is sleeping close by. I spent several minutes trying to Create a Ticket to Corsair about this, over in the Support area, only to find that there is no way to enter the Part Number for our AX1600i's! Any attempt to do so either funnels you into AX1500i part numbers, or is rejected before submittal to the server.

As stated that is normal and part of the initial bootup self test. There is no way of changing it.

I have the AX860i and it spins for a few seconds before it goes back to sleep, the green LED is on so the power is good

same for the CPU fan and other hardware, it is called POST

once that is done machine should be using much less power while it loads the OS

• 1 year later...

First time here and I have a new AX850-

Upon waking (fanless or not) the fan speeds up for 2-3 seconds- very loud, then its normal very quiet behavior. It's got the click-thing going on too, but that's the inrush bypass relay so that's been explained in this forum and isn't as annoying as the fan spinning up like that. If you tell me it's needed then I guess I live with it, but I sleep/wake a lot (and so does my computer ha) so I would have preferred some other engineering trick. Thanks for the info in this forum.

• Corsair Employee
First time here and I have a new AX850-

Upon waking (fanless or not) the fan speeds up for 2-3 seconds- very loud, then its normal very quiet behavior. It's got the click-thing going on too, but that's the inrush bypass relay so that's been explained in this forum and isn't as annoying as the fan spinning up like that. If you tell me it's needed then I guess I live with it, but I sleep/wake a lot (and so does my computer ha) so I would have preferred some other engineering trick. Thanks for the info in this forum.

The PSU's fan controller needs to know the fan's curve and so it ramps all the way up to capture that curve and store the information.

The PSU's fan controller needs to know the fan's curve and so it ramps all the way up to capture that curve and store the information.

You assume the PSU fan is handled by a CPU. The logic even in the most elite power supplies is very basic.

The POST is to be sure all the devices are active and ready for service. POST is an acronym for power on self test.

• Corsair Employee
You assume the PSU fan is handled by a CPU. The logic even in the most elite power supplies is very basic.

The POST is to be sure all the devices are active and ready for service. POST is an acronym for power on self test.

Umm... Do you know who I am?

The fan controller in this PSU is controlled by an MCU. The fan is ramped all of the way up to measure the PWM to RPM ratios and store them in the MCU's table.

The original AIO coolers used to do the same thing.