Corsair Community

Different Lighting Effect on Startup

Levercy

So after updating to the latest version of Corsair Link, my computer displays a new lightning effect on startup, before the software is able to launch. I really enjoy this lightning effect, and would like to set it permanently but I can't find it anywhere in the settings. (every time the software launches my lightning effects change to rainbow wave). The only way I have found to keep this lightning effect is to kill the process for corsair link before it is able to initialize.

I have:

1x Corsair Lighting Node Pro

6x Corsair HD120

1x Corsair H100i V2

I'm running on:

Corsair Link 4.9.0.57

Lighting Node Pro firmware version 0.5.104

Corsair H100i v2 firmware version 2.8.0.0

Below is a video of the lighting effect i'm talking about

[ame=

]
[/ame]

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Corsair Employee
So after updating to the latest version of Corsair Link, my computer displays a new lightning effect on startup, before the software is able to launch. I really enjoy this lightning effect, and would like to set it permanently but I can't find it anywhere in the settings. (every time the software launches my lightning effects change to rainbow wave). The only way I have found to keep this lightning effect is to kill the process for corsair link before it is able to initialize.

I have:

6x Corsair HD120

1x Corsair H100i V2

I'm running on:

Corsair Link 4.9.0.57

This looks like a demo mode, not unlike the one present on our peripherals. I haven't run into this myself with the Lighting Node PRO (usually it'll just play back the last lighting preset saved to memory). I'll see if I can dig up more info for you.

• Corsair Employee

I have:

6x Corsair HD120

1x Corsair H100i V2

I'm running on:

Corsair Link 4.9.0.57

This looks like a demo mode, not unlike the one present on our peripherals. I haven't run into this myself with the Lighting Node PRO (usually it'll just play back the last lighting preset saved to memory). I'll see if I can dig up more info for you.

It's the new default mode for the LNP and CLCP. This was introduced by the latest firmware update. When either LNP or CLCP are powered on but aren't grabbed by CL4, they'll automatically play this effect rather than the original default behavior.

It's the new default mode for the LNP and CLCP. This was introduced by the latest firmware update. When either LNP or CLCP are powered on but aren't grabbed by CL4, they'll automatically play this effect rather than the original default behavior.

Corsair CJ, Does this mean that this "rainbow" effect will always be active whenever Corsair Link 4 is not running? (including shutdown and startup).

Previously, before this firmware update, I had my LEDs set to static white and the commander pro would remember that even if corsair link 4 was not running. So even during startup and shutdown, my LEDs would remain white. Is this a change that was intentional? or is this something that was unforeseen and needs to be fixed in a future firmware update?

Thanks for the clarification. Is there a way to keep this look while running the software?

Corsair CJ, Does this mean that this "rainbow" effect will always be active whenever Corsair Link 4 is not running? (including shutdown and startup).

Previously, before this firmware update, I had my LEDs set to static white and the commander pro would remember that even if corsair link 4 was not running. So even during startup and shutdown, my LEDs would remain white. Is this a change that was intentional? or is this something that was unforeseen and needs to be fixed in a future firmware update?

This needs to be answered. I also have all of my LEDs set to a static color, but after installing the latest firmware, I’m now greeted by a RGB light show every time I boot/shutdown my PC which is very annoying.

Was it actually intentional to remove persistence of my settings? I really am not a fan of the new demo mode at all.

• Corsair Employee

So to answer a couple of questions: this new demo mode will be added to the software within the next couple of months for those who like it.

As for the loss of hardware playback in the most recent firmware, this was a sacrifice made for upcoming products that require software playback for their complex lighting effects. That being said, I totally understand and even share frustration about losing this feature. I'll be working with the software team over the coming weeks to offer an alternative or solution.

Same issue. Fixed it by downgrading to CLNP firmware version 0.4.94. CLNP Firmware Downgrade instructions: http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=892389

<rant>

This being a new "feature" is extremely disappointing. I purchased the Corsair Lightning Node PRO vs a competing product mainly because it didn't require the Corsair LINK software to be running all the time. This is a NZXT-level move and appears to have been introduced only to force users to run Corsair LINK 24/7. :mad:

</rant>

I am also greeted by a full rainbow effect on my LNP during boot only for the last configuration to load only once Link has started. I could not gather the answer here, is this intentional or a fault? I would prefer my last set configuration to be active during boot as it was, this is a little distracting.

Edit: Right so this is a newly included default/demo mode during startup, any chance this could be turned on/off?

That being said, I totally understand and even share frustration about losing this feature. I'll be working with the software team over the coming weeks to offer an alternative or solution.

OMG, yes please, this demo light show has totally killed my rather stately pc. :bling:

So to answer a couple of questions: this new demo mode will be added to the software within the next couple of months for those who like it.

As for the loss of hardware playback in the most recent firmware, this was a sacrifice made for upcoming products that require software playback for their complex lighting effects. That being said, I totally understand and even share frustration about losing this feature. I'll be working with the software team over the coming weeks to offer an alternative or solution.

Does that mean it will be an enable/disable feature?

• Corsair Employee
Same issue. Fixed it by downgrading to CLNP firmware version 0.4.94. CLNP Firmware Downgrade instructions: http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=892389

<rant>

This being a new "feature" is extremely disappointing. I purchased the Corsair Lightning Node PRO vs a competing product mainly because it didn't require the Corsair LINK software to be running all the time. This is a NZXT-level move and appears to have been introduced only to force users to run Corsair LINK 24/7. :mad:

</rant>

Aw, that's mean. If we wanted to force you to run LINK 24/7, we never would've had hardware playback in the first place. ;)

The real reason this change occurred was to enable synchronized lighting effects in the future as well as support upcoming RGB products that Lighting Node Pro and Commander Pro would not have been able to handle in hardware playback.

That said, I'm not pleased we had to sacrifice a feature people were used to in order to do that, and I'm working with the software team to provide short and hopefully long term solutions to this.

I am also greeted by a full rainbow effect on my LNP during boot only for the last configuration to load only once Link has started. I could not gather the answer here, is this intentional or a fault? I would prefer my last set configuration to be active during boot as it was, this is a little distracting.

Edit: Right so this is a newly included default/demo mode during startup, any chance this could be turned on/off?

OMG, yes please, this demo light show has totally killed my rather stately pc. :bling:

Does that mean it will be an enable/disable feature?

As I said before, we're working on it. The feedback has been heard loud and clear. I'm not in the office at present (out on a business trip) so I can't push for an immediate fix but I'm working on something.

As I said before, we're working on it. The feedback has been heard loud and clear. I'm not in the office at present (out on a business trip) so I can't push for an immediate fix but I'm working on something.

No pressure at all, just giving feedback ;):

Is the run at startup from a standard user account/need for administrator access still going to be looked into? If it helps I am getting an event log with version 4.9.0.57 that looks to be related to that, actually it's the same event over older versions of Link also.

.NET Runtime error, Event 1026

Application: CorsairLink4.exe

Framework Version: v4.0.30319

Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.

Exception Info: System.UnauthorizedAccessException

at Microsoft.Win32.TaskScheduler.V2Interop.ITaskFolder.RegisterTaskDefinition(System.String, Microsoft.Win32.TaskScheduler.V2Interop.ITaskDefinition, Int32, System.Object, System.Object, Microsoft.Win32.TaskScheduler.TaskLogonType, System.Object)

at Microsoft.Win32.TaskScheduler.TaskFolder.RegisterTaskDefinition(System.String, Microsoft.Win32.TaskScheduler.TaskDefinition, Microsoft.Win32.TaskScheduler.TaskCreation, System.String, System.String, Microsoft.Win32.TaskScheduler.TaskLogonType, System.String)

at CorsairLink4.Win7.Services.UtilService.SetupApplicationRunAtStartup(Boolean)

at CorsairLink4.Win7.App..ctor(Boolean)

at CorsairLink4.Win7.App.Main(System.String[])

• Corsair Employee
Aw, that's mean. If we wanted to force you to run LINK 24/7, we never would've had hardware playback in the first place. ;)

The real reason this change occurred was to enable synchronized lighting effects in the future as well as support upcoming RGB products that Lighting Node Pro and Commander Pro would not have been able to handle in hardware playback.

That said, I'm not pleased we had to sacrifice a feature people were used to in order to do that, and I'm working with the software team to provide short and hopefully long term solutions to this.

Hey guys,

As requested by folks here in the forum, I've provided a downgrade path for both the LNP and CLCP to force flash the older, hardware-playback capable firmware for both devices. This requires that you use CL4.9 since it introduced the ability to do this through software (rather than the pinhole method), you can then roll back to CL4.8 after you flash the older device firmware.

How-to thread has been posted and pinned:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=171536

• 2 weeks later...

Will there be a hardware playback solution for the new Corsair 120 LL? I'm using the older firmware and the 3rd fan's outer ring doesn't light up (I bought the 3 pack). I think it's just an issue of having to rely on the older Corsair HD profiles for hardware playback (no other options on the older firmware) and because of that, it's not accounting for the total number of extra LEDs 3 x Corsair 120LL has over 3 x Corsair HD 120.

Just about every other RGB product can remember the last settings and play it back without software (my GPU, motherboard, ram sticks, and NZXT water cooler do this just fine). Just like many others, I too do not want to rely on Corsair Link to run 24/7. There are other OSs that I run that Corsair does not support and I really don't want to stair at rainbow candy land when I'm doing my work in them.

Also, the corsair lighting node is quite an expensive product on its own and there should be no excuse for it not to be able to retain at least one playback profile. In fact, just the 3 pack of these fans costs more than any other RGB fan out there. Please make it worth the cost!

The hardware for the Lighting Node Pro and Commander Pro was designed well before the LL fans were even conceived.

While I'm trying to include hardware playback for products wherever possible, the LL fans will always be software only.

I noticed that I can get 3 LL120 fans to light up by adding 4 HD120 fans into the lighting profile. I think it's currently going off the number of LEDs found in each fan, so by adding 4 HD120 (48 LEDs) fans on the software end, it's enough to compensate for all of the leds across 3 LL120 fans (also 48 LEDs). It's not perfect, but I can at least hardware playback on the LL120s using this method (since it seems to be a feature restricted to older fans/profiles).

What I can't do is have LED playback across more than 5 devices (LED strips or fans). The maximum LED count has been reached by then.

Would it be possible to make a new profile based on the HD120 fans and just up the LED count from 12 to 16?

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys,

As requested by folks here in the forum, I've provided a downgrade path for both the LNP and CLCP to force flash the older, hardware-playback capable firmware for both devices. This requires that you use CL4.9 since it introduced the ability to do this through software (rather than the pinhole method), you can then roll back to CL4.8 after you flash the older device firmware.

How-to thread has been posted and pinned:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=171536

If I knew that this was the default route you were going to go with "default lighting on boot" I would have gone with another vendor. But now that I am beyond my return period "As this is a NEW FEATURE" and cant return the product. I will roll back the firmware and hopefully have the product I intended to buy. But as a software developer this is a piss poor excuse / bypass.

• Corsair Employee

So you're aware, this is a temporary solution.

I totally understand why you're pissed. I was less than enthused when this change rolled out.

Hardware playback is going to return in an upcoming release, sometime before year end. It won't support LL fans, but it should support our other RGB products.

If I knew that this was the default route you were going to go with "default lighting on boot" I would have gone with another vendor. But now that I am beyond my return period "As this is a NEW FEATURE" and cant return the product. I will roll back the firmware and hopefully have the product I intended to buy. But as a software developer this is a piss poor excuse / bypass.

• 2 weeks later...
So you're aware, this is a temporary solution.

I totally understand why you're pissed. I was less than enthused when this change rolled out.

Hardware playback is going to return in an upcoming release, sometime before year end. It won't support LL fans, but it should support our other RGB products.

Can I just say...I freaking LOVE the DEMO mode lighting effect...I wish you guys would implement that option in Corsair Link sooner rather than later. I'm even tempted to uninstall Link just so I can have the Demo mode lighting effect...I have 6 LL fans in my case and it's an RGB monster.

Archived