Corsair Community

Unable to run vengence ram @ 1600

exile101

Hi folks!

ive buit my first computer, everything is running nice, however I am unable to run the vengence ram at 1600mhz.

I've tried turning on xmp and setting it on profile 1, it works, but when I turn the computer off then turn it back on the memok light is on and have to press the memok button in order to get the system to boot, this is the exact same problem I had with the xms3 ram before I decided to RMA it and get the vengence but again no avail, please can you guys help me.:(:

Thank you.

exile101

A suggestion, I am running Vengeance DIMMs, on an ASUS P8P67 Pro, and also had problems with the XMP profile. I don't use it, and memory issues have disappeared.

As RAM GUY suggested, make sure that you have installed the latest BIOS for your Motherboard.

First thing you need to do, because you may not need to do anything else. do a "clear CMOS" reset on the Motherboard. This will often fix the memory problem that occur at POST on the ASUS P67.

Once that is done, go into the UEFI (BIOS), (Advanced Mode), make sure your Bclk is set at 100, (not 103 like it resets to on a failure), set the RAM speed to 1600, and the DRAM voltage manually to 1.5V. Instead of using XMP profile, manually set the DRAM timings in the UEFI. make whatever other changes to settings that you had prior to the UEFI reset.

Save and exit the UEFI. Your problems should be fixed.

Hey!

I updated the bios to v1401 and in the release it stated that the update improves hardware compatibility but in my case I didn't notice a single change. I'm still experiencing the ram problems.

What's funny is that, if I enable xmp or set the timing manually, the computer runs perfectly, even when i restart the computer and launch memtest, it reports back no problem however if I shutdown the computer, then I'm back to square one and the pc won't boot unless I press the memok button.

Exile101

Hey

Thanks for your reply!

Tbh I don't think there is anything to do with the ram because at stock it runs well when I set the rated timings or enable xmp it works fantastic but the motherboard doesn't seem to remember the settings when turned off. I doubt it's the CPU even though the memory controller is on it because if that was the case would experience bsod's which clearly I'm not, so in conclusion it looks like the MB is at fault :(

Thanks

Exile101

Have you reset the CMOS?

EDIT: Is the CMOS jumper in the correct position? Don't even want to admit this, but I ran a whole day with the jumper in the reset position, and couldn't figure out why I was getting the Red Mem light on reboot...:wtfman: Maybe something to check.

hey!

I would just like to thank you for your replies ;):

I managed to get the ram to run at 1600 and to comfirm that its still runnining at 1600, i switched off my machine, then back on and behold! it is running at 1600 and the solution was to update the bios(uefi) to 1401, in post 7 i mention that I updated to 1401 but actually it was 1204 :eek:, however after updating all is well.

But here anothe problem starts, when i run the ram at 1600, speedstep doesn't even seem to work and also my cpu is at stock settings (3.3ghz) but decided to run at 3.7ghz which is turbo speed, even at idle:confused:, anyway i've put back optimized defaults and at idle the cpu underclocks to 1601mhz and at load to 3.4ghz which it should (I think) be doing when the ram is at 1600.

thank you once again.

exile101

Speedstep should work just as you think it should... 1.6Ghz at idle, turbo to your multi with a load.

for a 3.7Ghz OC:

In the EFI Advanced Mode:

On the AI Tweaker page of your EFI, you should have your AI OC Tuner set to manual.

Bclk at 100

Turbo Ratio: By all cores

Turbo Multiplyer at 37

Internal PLL overvoltage: Enabled

Memory Frequency: 1600Mhz

EPU Power Savings mode can be disabled.

As I mentioned in my previous post, you should go into DRAM timing control and set everything you can manually.

I suspect your fixed CPU speed lies here:

Also on the AI Tweaker page of the UEFI, go into "CPU Power Management" and make sure your CPU Ratio is set to Auto (not your turbo multipler), and that EIST (Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology) and Turbo Mode are both enabled.

For a 3.7Ghz OC, all other setting can be left at their default settings.

Hey!

Just to conclude this thread, In the end I managed to get the ram to run at 1600mhz and It now sustains the speed and doesn't loose all the setting upon shutdown, and all this was down to a bios update lol.

Btw Thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it :praise:

Exile101

Archived