Corsair Community

TX650W damage

BihnX

I contacted tech support on this, however I just wanted to see if anyone else out there had a similar problem such as this. Last April I upgraded my 300W PSU to the TX650W in accommodate upgrades and future upgrades to my system, however about three weeks ago my cpu started to reset itself randomly upon being on for a few hours, then three days later it was unusable. Able to stay on for about 3 minutes then it would reset itself to a black screen until it cooled down again. The board it was connected to in question was a p4p800 deluxe, in which it would report 'cpu failed system test', 'vga failed system test', or nothing at all as it would just not boot. Anyhow, I finally yanked the board out as I trouble shot everything else (a business trip in between did not help the process), and as I was removing the last ATX 20 PIN connector it was difficult to remove, after yanking it out I found the connectors melted/burned into place. I have attached a picture to show exactly the problem, anyone else experience this?

-B

113799070_tx650wATX20pin.JPG.b51a71772952cfdc40d772165e588ad9.JPG

Yeah... thats not normal. The pins we're not making proper contact, therefore there was resistance, thus there was a voltage drop (why you were getting shutdowns), and heat (why the connectors are melted). I don't know whether this was caused by a fault in the PSU connector or by improper insertion, so I'm not sure where you should go from here. Looks like the motherboard should be OK though.

Well I can tell you that the connector was plugged in properly and the clip secure. As anyone who has plugged in the ATX 20 pin can tell you, you would have to try a lot harder to plug it in incorrectly than correctly, the unique pin shapes see to that. I tested the output with the paperclip test and a voltmeter and they 'seem' to be getting a proper 3v output (the burnt cables are all the 3v orange wires).

Archived