Corsair Community

HX1000W Power Supply

ed6698

I have a Corsair HX1000W power supply that I purchased on 1/17/09 from TigerDirect. Everything was working good with power supply until today. I left the computer on over night, when I woke up this morning the computer was off. The only things that were on was the power supply fan, the motherboard green light, a couple fan lights and the hard drive activity light. I flipped off the power supply switch and unplugged the unit for a couple hours. I double checked all my connections, which were fine. I put the power plug back in and turned on switch. The only things that came back on were the things I listed above. I removed the power supply and replaced it with another and the system powers up fine. I think this Corsair power supply has gone bad. Since owning it for the amount of time, I have already mailed in the rebate and the upc from the box, so I cannot return to TigerDirect for replacement.What do I need to do to replace the unit?

• 2 months later...
I just wanted to let you know that I have had the replacement ps for 2 months now and everything has been fine. I have not had a single problem since. I am sure it will be fine now. I just look at it as one of those things that could happen when one fails. Very satisfied with the replacement one. :biggrin:

• Corsair Employee
I just wanted to let you know that I have had the replacement ps for 2 months now and everything has been fine. I have not had a single problem since. I am sure it will be fine now. I just look at it as one of those things that could happen when one fails. Very satisfied with the replacement one. :biggrin:

Thanks for the update, glad to hear everything is up and running!

• 6 months later...
I am back again and I think I may be starting to develop a issue with the replacement power supply. From what I understand it is not a good idea to trust programs to checks voltages. However I am starting to notice quite a bit of fluctuation of the 12v. In the bios my 3.3v reads around 3.28, 5v reads around 4.97, the 12v can vary anywhere from 11.9 down to 10.9, when it starts getting that low my system shuts off. The 12v variations have just started in the past week, it never dropped lower then 11.85 all along before. I have not done any hardware changes and I have double checked all the connections. Right now the 12v is at 11.5. What would be your recommendation?

They are coming from bios and at times software. 12v never has varied so much like it has until the past week to the point of shutting down the system while playing a game. It has also shut down on me while I was watching the voltage in the bios.

Update. My wife called me at work last evening told me pc would no longer boot up, only the fans and cpu fan and lights would turn on. After work I came home and verified it, only fans and lights would run. I swapped out the power supply with the one I used before in the first post, everything booted up fine. I am having no 12v power variations like I was having with the Corsair before it failed. I am afraid the Corsair power supply is no longer good. This is the second one now to fail in less then a year.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived