Corsair Community

TWINX1024-3200LLPRO ram question

DiamondNRG

Ok I realize this question has been asked a bunch but it doesn't ever seem to be with the actual ram I have, so I was wondering if there is a different solution as well... I have a Gigabyte GA-8KNXP (non-ultra) ver. 1 I have 1024mb of TWINX1024-3200LLPRO ram installed in it. I of course am having stability issues. It does three things...1 it will randomly restart on its own, moreso when it is cold. 2 it makes me scan my hard drive for consistency after after crash then takes FOREVER to load xp pro and gives me a lot of device driver errors. 3 fairly often certain applications will just all of a suddent crash or turn off. I plan on keeping my motherboard and would like to keep the ram that I have if it is at all possible. What bios settings can I change and what should I set the latency timings to in order to resolve these problems? Thanks... ~ Nick

Sorry I didn't give enough info... Processor is a 3.2ghz 800mhz p4 With the BIOS I have several options like that... There is a fail-safe defaults option An optimized-results options and of course the Performace (PAT) option... I do believe I have tried all of them with no luck... but let me know what you think I should do... I changed the settings to 2-3-2-6 like the corsair twinx page said that the RAM is and it actually stayed on for like a couple hours ... but then it started crashing repeatedly again, and all I did to make it crash was click on a desktop ICON ... hardly an intensive task...

Doublecheck your settings to match these: [quote]Testing parameters for TWINX3200LL: Motherboard make and model: Asus A7N8X and/or Asus P4C800/-E and/or Abit IC7. Each pair is tested together using SPD values with default settings resulting in: DRAM Clock: 200 MHz SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4 Bank All other settings are motherboard defaults.[/quote] Above settings are via [url=http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=8048]this[/url] post by RAM GUY. Also, put your DDR voltage to 2.7 volts. I assume you're running a 1:1 divider and dual channel? PLUR CK

Yes running 1:1 dual.. Does putting it to 2.7 mean a .2V increase? And is this with PAT enabled or disabled .. .because I believe enabling PAT raises it to like 2.93v ( i read that several places )... Not sure about with the voltage, but I know I have had those timings before and it was horribly unstable...will try again once I know what to set the voltage to and what to do with PAT. Thanks.

SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4 Bank What is that... I didn't see that at first, is that a setting I have to change??? Also the default for the CPU timing seems to be 200mhz, but I can manually select it as well, do you recommend that instead of the auto??? Let me know pls. ~ Nick

RAM GOD (GUY): Ok im trying those CASS settings as I type this out... but I am still curious what that bank interleave thing is? Also did any kind of conclusion get reached as to if the DPS2 unit is stable enough to leave it in? And should I have PAT enabled or no?

• Corsair Employee
[URL=http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=8&var1=0&var2=169]Bank Interleave[/URL] [QUOTE]Interleaving allows banks of SDRAM to alternate their refresh and access cycles. One bank will undergo its refresh cycle while another is being accessed. This improves memory performance by masking the refresh cycles of each memory bank. A close examination will reveal that since the refresh cycles of all the memory banks are staggered, this produces a kind of pipelining effect.[/QUOTE]

Windows stayed up just long enough to finally show me the error screens and then bam...restart... How can it be this unstable? When I first got it, I ran it with the defaults and it did this like once a week, now I can't get 5 minutes out of it ... how does it get so much worse? This is with 3-4-4-8 like you said, and PAT disabled and the DPS2 card installed........ :-( I hope you have more time to continue helping me, I do not like Kingston ram and want my Corsair to work..

Went back to SPD and tried that ... she actually lasted like 40 minutes ... this makes no sense at all... What size power supply do you think is a minimum for a system with... 3.2ghz P4 twinx1024-3200llpro ram ga-8knxp rev 1.xx 60gig and 200gig ata133 maxtor diamondmax 9 hard drives 9.1gig WD expert no sata or raid currently radeon 7000 sb live 2 case fans right now floppy and zip sony 4x dvd burner philips 24x cdrw ( currently unhooked ) generic 12x dvd drive generic 4x cdrw ( currently unhooked ) Its running on an Antec SmartBlue 350 ... is this my problem? I did a lot of research into what each device uses powerwise and I do believe I should be fine. Thanks for the help anyone...:ar: :ar:

• Corsair Employee
I would if possible try tesing the memory on another MB. as that might help to verify the problem. Also Do you have the latest bios? And I would really suggets at least a 400 Watt PSU with the hardware you have listed.

OK, So I tested each stick one at a time and that idea just didn't work at all, it would never even make it all the way through booting, I believe because of the changed CAS timings. So then for the heck of it I turned down my CPU, I turned it down far enough that the FSB would be at 333 (instead of setting the memory to a 1.6 to achieve that ) and guess what ... with my 3.2ghz cpu running at like 2.6ghz, my computer has been VERY stable ( only one small error ) for 2 days now, no restarts, no crashes.... Can someone explain that to me? I really don't mind using it this way right now for the stability, but obviously in the long run I want to use the 3.2 that I paid for as at least that, if not more. And yes I am planning on replacing my Antec SmartBlue 350 power supply with an Antec TrueBlue 480. Thanks... ~ Nick :brick:

Also... Not that this really has much to do with anything... But I ripped out my 4x cdrw and my Sound Blaster Live last night and put in a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum. But I highly doubt either of those hardware devices had anything to do with my issues. But I am enjoying the very impressive quality of my new sound card :) ~ Nick :brick:

• Corsair Employee
Well I would have no problem replacing your modules if you like, but it does sound like some other issue. For the RMA if you like. Please send us a email with a copy of the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.xls]form[/URL] or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to [email]Rma@corsairmemory.com[/email]. Or you can also use the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.html]On Line RMA Request Form[/URL] as well. If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the rma please email the same to [email]warranty@corsairmemory.com[/email] and we will help to resolve it.

Archived